New member wanting a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
kowboydmac

New member wanting a Vibe

Post by kowboydmac »

Hey, been browsing Matrix/Vibe stuff for a few weeks now.

Like this site enough to sign up :)

For starters, I have a 1990 Nissan 300ZX that is my baby, but the poor baby has been bruised for the last few months via spinning out and wacking a curb hard enough to bend a control arm. Not a total loss by any means, just a time consuming repair. I also find myself working on the Z more than driving it, so a daily driver is a must.

Thought about several vehicles, but from everything I've gathered, a Vibe would be darn near perfect for me at the moment. Especially after working on a 20+ year old VG30DE engine and old yet timeless interior of the Z32.

I guess some generic questions I have can easily be searched, but I am curious to consolidate a few things here so I can reference them easier
1) I want a base auto version. No need for speed for me, as my Z32 has plenty of it, and it's not even twin turbo.. yet. ;)
2) Say I get an '05 Vibe with 120K on the clock. What's the typical maintenance interval I'm looking at? Plugs, PCV, Air filter, CRC clean the MAF...?
3) I frequent Bobistheoilguy.com so I'm curious if any of you have some insight as to what oil nets the best MPG's, even if it's minute (my-noot) and if anyone has done an MMO piston soak on a Vibe if any performance was gained. Not familiar with Toyota motors, other than the overall reputation of being ridiculously reliable.
4) What product brands do Vibe's like? With the Z, I have to get most every sensor from Nissan, or it's equivalent. Bosch makes Nissan Z32's O2 sensors, and NGK makes the OEM plugs. If Vibe's can get away with Beck/Arnley sensors, NGK plugs (research says yes) and such, that's a huge bonus.

Guess I'll shut up now, and go back to searching.

Thanks!
SeattleJeremy

Re: New member wanting a Vibe

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Welcome to GenVibe!

1. The Vibe is not fast, but has no trouble keeping up with traffic and mine is completely comfortable at 80mph. Although, fuel mileage suffers at that speed, so I try to stick to 60-65.
2. The maintenance costs on the Vibe are really low. Here is the 2005 owners manual, maintenance is in 6-2.
http://www.genvibe.com/images/misc/manuals/2005vibe.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing to be aware of is the manual calls for Dex-cool, but the factory that build the car (NUMMI) used Toyota Red or Pink coolant (color depends on the year build). So when you go to do the flush or refill make sure you're using the same stuff as is currently in the rad. Orange / Red-pink don't mix.
The factory intake manifold gasket on the 1ZZ is a known weak spot, causes rough idle when cold, but it's an easy fix, $10 part.

3. Can't really comment on what the best oil is for MPG's. I have the local GM quick lube place do the oil every 5k miles.
4. The spark plug to use is the NGK BKR6EIX-11. For brands I've mostly been using Toyota replacement parts, tell the guys at the parts counter that you've got a Toyota Matrix XR FWD Auto. I haven't needed to change any sensors on my 155k mile car (purchased new), but I'd likely go with Bosch or what ever http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; recommends.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to GenVibe!

1. Yeah, not a speed demon, but the 1zz has some decent torque for what it is.

2. Lots of stuff should have been checked by 100k, but I'd check it all out anyway. Clean MAF, change fluids, air filter at regular intervals, PCV could be replaced anytime. But just know that two thread patterns exist for the PCV, and they are covered under one part number from at least one company, so that could be interesting.

3. As for MPG, I'm not really too knowledgeable on oils. I know the difference is, indeed, my-noot, but you might want to try Ecomodder.com, and search what oil other 1zz people are using. For performance mods, try monkeywrenchracing.com, and check for insight on the Celica forums, as they are more inclined to mod these engines.

4. Toyota sensors, but I personally have no issue with aftermarket parts. Don't go to GM for parts, because, generally, they'll be priced higher. They need to buy the part from Toyota, then charge you for it and still make a few bucks in profit.

Some other odds n ends can be found in the Everything you Need to Know thread in my signature.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!
kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

Vibe sounds like it can handle itself on the highway, which is all I ask. I could care less about zoom-zoom. I'd rather pass more fuel pumps than cool kids in v8's :P

Thanks for those links fellas!

The NGK BKR6's are eerily close to the plug I want to try out in my NA 300ZX.

I think the oil I'd like to use, if the engine is optimal, would be a Castrol Edge 5w30 in the gold bottle with a Bosch Distance plus filter.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! You must post pictures of your Z immediately :shock:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

kowboydmac wrote:Vibe sounds like it can handle itself on the highway, which is all I ask. I could care less about zoom-zoom. I'd rather pass more fuel pumps than cool kids in v8's :P

Thanks for those links fellas!

The NGK BKR6's are eerily close to the plug I want to try out in my NA 300ZX.

I think the oil I'd like to use, if the engine is optimal, would be a Castrol Edge 5w30 in the gold bottle with a Bosch Distance plus filter.
If you tap off overdrive the Vibe can get up and go, as long as it isn't the AWD Vibe. But I LOVE cruising on the highway with my Vibe. Best mileage I've gotten (Ohio I-80 at 70mph with A/C and heavy alternator draw, possibly a bit downhill and behind trucks) was 38mpg. In mixed driving I average around 30mpg. 28mpg in winter.

Note about plugs: the car will only take iridium plugs. And 5w-30 should be no problem! You could try it out, then send it in to Blackstone to get the oil tested.
kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

The Z... Although it's a project for the most part, this was taken when I was leaving campus last year

A few of the specs are: 1pc driveshaft, emissions deletes, headers + magnaflow high flow cats + SpecialtyZ exhaust (not installed in that pictures, put it on this spring), Z1 intake, Powertrix coilovers, adjustable upper control arms front/rear, TT brakes + 350Z 12.75" rotors up front, tuned ECU, Koenig Deceptions 18" +40 with +25mm spacer (comes out to +15 offset) wrapped in General GMAX AS03's (great tire, need a wider staggered setup though as I spun out twice... in a week ... lame), 15w50 Mobil1 oil but switching to Castrol Edge 5w50 when I get her back on the road... and other knick knack maintenance things.

Lots to do though ;)
--

38 MPG's sounds amazing to me!! lol

A few I've been looking at around FL, pretty much listed in order of interest:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/4135392641.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/4119474665.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/4166846383.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/4132860807.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/4134777091.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ctd/4142575475.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

This one, all the way:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/4134777091.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why? Because Vibe GT! It has the 180hp 2zz-ge engine and 6-speed manual.... Over 6000rpm you get some valve lift (Toyota's Yamaha-developed version of Vtec) and a major boost in power. People say it is a very fun car.

Other wise, the more information per ad, the better. If you want a 1zz and automatic, I'd personally give this one a try:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/4135392641.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Nice looking Z... l hope you find your vibe. :)
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

I want an auto slowpoke MPG machine lol

The Z is fairly quick, but only gets 17-19 mpg's. Couldn't get rid of it if I tried, but honestly need something a bit more conventional, so I'm super interested in a Vibe. They're a good price too.

The one in Tampa is the one I'm most interested in, even though it has 140K on it.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The only thing that worries me about the Tampa car is this statement in the ad "* edit..AS OF 10-12 I painted the bumper to hide scuffs shown in pictures."
You'll want to inspect the bumper more than normal to make sure they paint color was matched, all the screws are in place, and than none of the supporting parts are missing.

^ This is by no means a deal breaker, looks like a good car.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

We have lovebugs down here in FL that mess up front bumpers regularly. Their blood is acidic apparently, so front bumper blemishes don't mean much to me lol

I also would get tired of that color after a few years, and already envision repainting the Vibe a certain color. As long as the body is straight, I don't care much how well the paint/clear is as of now. In fact if I can get a vibe cheaper because it's paint isn't 10/10, that works in my favor.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Wow! That Z is absolutely beautiful :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

Looks good inthat pic, but now needs a paint job lol

Needs a lot of work to be showroom, but I have her setup reliably as a daily, just have too many projects planned for her, and 17-19 mpg's isn't cutting what I need out of a daily driver
kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

Im trying to find a straight forward answer on whether or not coilovers intended for a matrix fit a vibe, 03-08 specifically
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

All the FWD Vibe/Matrix struts and etc should be the same. All the AWD Vibe/Matrix struts and etc should be the same. However AWD and FWD are not the same.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop