At a crossroads

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sbaxter

At a crossroads

Post by sbaxter »

I have a 2003 Automatic Envy Green Vibe, best car I have ever owned.

But it appears that a transmission bearing is going. I've had this car for 192,000 of its 256,000 kms (120,000 of it's 40,000 miles). The car is in amazing shape, with some tiny rust spots where highway stones have chipped the paint, and the antenna is held on with black duct tape, but other than that you'd swear it was only 5 years old.

I am considering put in a remanufactured transmission and wonder if anyone here has done that and what kind of success did you have with it? I'd rather spend the extra $1k for a re-man than a used transmission just for the piece of mind.
Chiadog

Re: At a crossroads

Post by Chiadog »

You don't say where you are located, but most people have access to a junkyard that will inexpensively replace a worn transmission with a low mileage used unit. My local junkyard includes a warranty with the service. Of course, I would consider all options but a used transmission should be the most practicable solution for an older high mileage car.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

I'm in Canada.

I can get a used transmission for around $500, but that comes with a 30 day guarantee.

I put on 55,000 kms a year and would rather put in a re-manufactured transmission. If I decide that to keep this car I will (hopefully) drive it for at least another 2 years.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

If you can find a used one with less than 80k kilometers on it for around $500 then that's what I would suggest.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
canadave

Post by canadave »

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between a used and remanufactured transmission?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

canadave wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between a used and remanufactured transmission?
Used = pulled from a junkyard. Condition unknown.
Remanufactured = a used transmission that has been be reconditioned to be in good working order, like new.

My wife and I just forked up a good chunk of change for a remanufactured 5spd for our '05 Corolla with 200K miles. The engine has high miles, but with everything else in good working order, the body in excellent shape and nothing owed on the car, we felt at the time it was worth it. I've had second thoughts, but its too late now. Should the engine give out, I'll probably find a used one to take its place.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The labor to put in a junkyard transmission is the same as putting in a remanufactured one. So maybe looking at the total cost the remanufactured one is not that much more expensive. That logic has cost me a lot of money over the years - e.g. it cost as much to put down $9 tile as $2 tile so . . . .
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

jake75 wrote:The labor to put in a junkyard transmission is the same as putting in a remanufactured one. So maybe looking at the total cost the remanufactured one is not that much more expensive. That logic has cost me a lot of money over the years - e.g. it cost as much to put down $9 tile as $2 tile so . . . .
That's one of the reasons we went with the remanufactured over a used.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I'd probably go with a reman transmission, as long as the warranty was at least a year. That should be plenty of time to shake out any defects I'd think.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The automatic has been pretty reliable (or so I've heard) so I might personally trust a junkyard automatic. Then again I'd do my own labor (personal preference) so the transmission itself is all I would have to worry about. If I was also going to pay for installation, I'd go with a re manufactured unit, just so I know that it will work for a good long time. And even if it goes out at a similar mileage, the car will be pretty darn old by then.

An antenna is easy to fix, and some minor detailing can take care of the paint chips. If you don't get a junkyard transmission you could at least pull an antenna base and mast from a junkyard Vibe/Matrix/Corolla.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Personally I would go with a remanufactured transmission for the peace of mind it would provide over a used one.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

runningslow wrote: Used = pulled from a junkyard. Condition unknown.
Remanufactured = a used transmission that has been be reconditioned to be in good working order, like new.
It is my understanding that all used and WARRANTIED Junkyard transmissions are tested (therefore not condition unknown) before installation. Be sure to ask questions so you know what you are getting! The disadvantage of a reman. tranny is that it has failed once already and the rebuilder may have replaced the broken parts - but not fixed the CAUSE of the failure. A thirty day warranty is acceptable to me, transmission damage can't "hide" for 30 days. What is the cost difference you are being quoted?
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Reman trannies are only as good as the work done on them. Both trannies (used and reman) are a crapshoot. You can get a good one, or a lousy one (more often than not).
Tommychu

Post by Tommychu »

I would go used, especially when it comes to an auto. They're not as susceptible to driver abuse (clutch dumps, bad shifts, and the TC acts as a buffer if the driver isn't smooth on the throttle). They are more susceptible to poor maintenance though so it's worth finding one that hasn't hit it's flush interval yet (and flushing it right away).

We always just throw junkyard transmissions in our race car (Fox Mustang, 351W/575hp). Except the one time we did a 4R70W/AOD Hybrid, and that was just a straight planetary swap. Ended up throwing it out too, because the ratios added nearly a full second to our 1/4 ETs, even after we regeared the diff.
"I like to think GM is sort of like the USSR-In economic terms, an unprecedented catastrophe spanning multiple decades that brought misery to millions, but sometimes they made some nifty vehicles that we just love to post about on the internet."
vit

Post by vit »

Nasmfell wrote:Reman trannies are only as good as the work done on them. Both trannies (used and reman) are a crapshoot. You can get a good one, or a lousy one (more often than not).
There are some shady things going on in the re-manufactured transmission business. Even by what could be considered reputable outfits.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I'd grab a low km used one from a local junkyard ...I've never heard of an auto failing (unless supercharged, turboed or abused) in the 10 years I've been on the matrix/vibe boards. Most people who buy a matrix/vibe with an auto don't abuse their car...its just not easy, lol
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Go with used ONLY if you know, or can find out, the driving history of the donor car. Otherwise, a re-manufactured from a reputable shop :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
mrbravo2000

Post by mrbravo2000 »

I've always said to myself that any vehicle I purchase I will put an engine, a tranny, and a diff and then be done with it. I've done that with two vehicles now, have gotten well past 230k on both. My personal experience, if the tranny is out, go with either. It's just based on who you purchase. I purchased an engine from a small shop here in Houston and it has don me proud. I have bought two trannies (diff vehs) and one was crap after 6 months and the other has lasted me another 180K + the original 43K. I just changed the rear diff on my truck, 432K. I decided it was time to get another ride.

Personally, I'd drop in a tranny and roll with it. However, in my experience, trannies and engines go in pairs. i don't know if its how they are mated or because when you change one the other doesn't respond, but that's my exp.

Good luck!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

[quote="mrbravo2000" However, in my experience, trannies and engines go in pairs. i don't know if its how they are mated or because when you change one the other doesn't respond, but that's my exp.

Good luck![/quote]

I think that i especially true with FWD.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Well, I've chosen to go the used tranny route, work will be done Monday/Tuesday. Sourced a 80,000 km used tranny with a 90 day warranty from our government run insurance provider. $500 for the tranny, $500 to install. Anything over 90 days is pretty much gravy, given i'd spend at least $15,000 on a near new car which is around $300/month over 60 months.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Glad you're getting if fixed :)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Good decision! I'm guessing you'll get closer to 90 MONTHS than 90 days out of this tranny. :D
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Tranny update:

Way back on day 65, just short of 6,000 kms the first used tranny freezes, literally. There must have been some moisture in it, and when it dropped below -30 the fluid froze.

So the second tranny shows up and is in 10 times better condition than the first one, and just to be sure that the moisture isn't from the radiator, I had an external transmission cooler installed as well. I just passed the 90 day mark on the 2nd transmission and after 8,000 kms everything transmission wise is working well.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

WOW, Glad you dodged the bullet on that first transmission! Should be smooth sailing now.