A noobie saying hello.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
TheInternal

A noobie saying hello.

Post by TheInternal »

Howdy all.

I'm seriously looking to buy a 2006 or 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT (or possibly a 2006 Matrix, since that year seems to avoid the transmission of fail in earlier matrix models) and am doing some extended research on it.

Should I even consider the non-GT model with a manual? What's the gas mileage on the GT model compared to the non-GT? I saw something in the forum saying the engine in the GT REQUIRES premium gas... is that true?

I've test driven a 2007 non-GT automatic and it seemed to drive okay, though high speed breaking caused a fair bit of lurching. Consumer Reports says the current avg. retail for a 2006 Vibe ranges from $6.5-7.2k for the various trims.

I'm aiming for $5.5-6k since I'm guessing most dealers are buying them around $4-4.4k.

Are there any major flaws / problems with the 2006 Vibe or Vibe GT? What about the 2003 year model or the 2006 Matrix? Someone mentioned that the Pontiac computer has issues "talking" to the Toyota engine in the Vibe, but I think it may have just been a bunch of bunk / them trying to sell me something different.

What Vibe or Matrix do you drive, and what do you like most and least about it?

Thanks!
zythr

Re: A noobie saying hello.

Post by zythr »

Hi

Unless you have access to the complete repair history I'd avoid the 2003 models of both. They have had too many issues. Manual non GT could be an option, since the power of the GT is uncorked only at high revs, compared to base. Yes the GT requires Premium fuel. On the flip side, since valve clearance checks are recommended for both engines, if a valve(s) are out of spec, correcting them is easier on the GT than the base (require camshaft and timing belt removal).

No major flaws since both are based on the Corolla drivetrain and platform.

Unfortunately, Corollas, Matrix and Vibes have an Odometer that will stop counting at 299,999 K/miles. Only solution is to swap out the cluster for one with lower mileage, until that one gets to 299,999 then process repeats. You may want to take this into consideration. Good luck

One more thing, 2003 to 2005, I believe had oil dipsticks that did not read the right amount of oil. This was rectified in later models.
TheInternal

Post by TheInternal »

I may have to go with the base model to avoid the higher gas costs then. Thanks for the thoughts on the 2003 versus the 2006.
Vibezilla

Post by Vibezilla »

I just bought at 2006 manual base model in june, and I have nothing to complain about so far. Its got enough (removed) to keep me happy, and is pretty fun to whip around on curvy roads. Gas mileage is pretty good. I usually get somewhere around the low 30's on mixed driving. And not really any major problems that I've heard about on the 06 models. I'd highly recommend it! Good luck on your desicion!
Vibezilla

Post by Vibezilla »

Also, I dont know why it removed the word " S. p. u. n. k." on my above post. weird.
canadave

Post by canadave »

Look up that word in a British dictionary and you'll see why that word was removed ;)

Any particular reason you're limiting yourself to 2003 and 2006? Is it just that you've found a couple cars of those model years that are available?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

I disagree with this advise....for OBVIOUS reasons! I recently bought an '03 GT and LOVE IT! There are deals to be had out there and if you are patient and do your homework you can do similar to me:

I bought this 2003 Vibe GT with just over 100K on it for $3100!!! The power (above 6Krpm) is ADDICTIVE!
I used to have an 03 AWD and the GT is in a ANOTHER CLASS!

To each his own and they are great cars but Personally I wouldnt buy a NON GT!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I can understand addiction to lift, I just can't imagine having to go that high to get it!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

03/04 GT's are where its at. Better looking fascia and you can swap out the 04 ecu with an 03 for 6200rpm lift (04 is 6500, 05/06 is 6800)
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

haha you must live for the freeway on ramp.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).