2nd Gen really makes you miss that 1st Gen

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Mazzy21

2nd Gen really makes you miss that 1st Gen

Post by Mazzy21 »

Just as the title says - I'm REALLY missing my 1st Gen (2005 Base). When I totaled it, it seemed logical - at the time - that since I loved the Vibe so much I should just get a newer one with lower mileage and continue to enjoy this awesome little car. Intro: the 2009 GT. Now it doesn't help that even though this is a certified car, things are starting to go wrong with it right and left (I've made two payments), but it's all the very little things that I keep realizing when I go to use those tried and true features from my old Vibe that are making me grumble at this new one. Going kayaking? no prob - 1st Gen rear window opens so you don't even need a roof rack. 2nd Gen... gotta buy a roof rack. :( Hauling something? Easy Peasy - 1st Gen's truckbed-like plastic from hatch all the way to passenger seat makes sliding things in and out a breeze. 2nd Gen - rubber slip-proof runners, stopping anything you're sliding every couple inches. Even 1st Gen's cup holders are vastly superior to 2nd Gens! Clearance in the hatch is less (at least at the door) which also makes it less versatile. Bottom line is a paradox - I am a current Vibe owner who REALLY misses her Vibe. I'm even seriously considering eating all that money in a roll-over to trade it in and purchase another 1st Gen - though, like myself, people just don't get rid of their Vibes so selection is extremely limited. All I can hope for is that after I take it in for it's many needed repairs (1st Gen never had a single problem) it'll grow on me when all is running smoothly and I won't mind everything I gave up by thinking newer was better.
creekhed1

Re: 2nd Gen really makes you miss that 1st Gen

Post by creekhed1 »

Im even pickier.... I only like the 03-04's! The Soltice grill just does NOT do it for me!~ ;)
shaeet

Post by shaeet »

If you like it so much & have availability problems in your area, consider a 1st gen Matrix also. The only thing they lack is the roof rack & the hatch opening is slightly less versatile but otherwise interior volume is insane.

I agree w/your points on the 2nd gens. I considered getting a 2nd gen Matrix brand-new but when I realized they didn't have the pop-glass on the rear hatch that was an instant deal-breaker for me. I've used the pop-glass so many times. For example to haul:

numerous 12ft rolls of carpet from the surplus flooring store. They sell remnants for 40 cents a sq foot and many of the remnants they have are extremely expensive carpeting (10+$ a sq ft brands & styles). I used the carpets as area rugs & to cover my stairs

16ft railings with baulasters, newel posts to redo my staircase railings, it poked out the back for 30 miles lol

16ft and 12ft baseboards. had to replace mine cuz previous owner had 2 dogs & a cat that urniated all over the original ones. Was nice to be able to haul these myself

12ft vinyl siding peices. My house had a couple of peices of missing siding from a wind storm when I first bought it, poked out the back :)

2x 5-drawer full-sized HON filing cabinets. They barely slid into the rear but the top edges of them hit the glass. Popped the glasso pen and voila! Hatch closed & drove home w/the glass open. Insane that i could fit these two cabinets in the car IMO.

Last thing I hauled w/the pop-glass was a 26ft extension ladder. i was borrowing it from my rents & they wanted it back so I stuck it out the back and drove itback to them (~20 miles).
04 XRS 2ZZ-GE: Injen CAI, hotchkis sways, sportlines on gr2's, brz rims
(Soon For Sale) 05 Vibe 1ZZ auto, 02 WRX Stage 4, 09 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Wanna buy my 06? Nothing wrong with her...she just needs a new home :( before the house is sold.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

Aw, bummer on having to sell your '06. I would love to buy it if I didn't feel stuck by having to roll over the money from this '09. Since I won't get enough to pay it off even if I sell it outright (bought from a dealer and only made 2 payments so far so I obviously owe more than I'll ever get for it) I feel stuck/like I have to go to a dealer so that I can get the extra financing that will be needed to cover what won't be paid off of whatever I get for it. I really WANT to like mine. I loved my '05 - except that it handled terribly in the snow but others with different years said they liked theirs so I'm wondering if it's just a thing with the '05s (another '05 person posted that theirs was terrible on snow too). For a brief shining moment I saw a 1st gen black with sunroof at a local dealer while driving past, but when I went back just a couple days later it was already gone. :(

Hope you get a good price for your '06. From someone who now owns the 2nd gen I can say without doubt that the 1st gens are worth every penny!!
zythr

Post by zythr »

Mazzy21 wrote:Just as the title says - I'm REALLY missing my 1st Gen (2005 Base). When I totaled it, it seemed logical - at the time - that since I loved the Vibe so much I should just get a newer one with lower mileage and continue to enjoy this awesome little car. Intro: the 2009 GT. Now it doesn't help that even though this is a certified car, things are starting to go wrong with it right and left (I've made two payments), but it's all the very little things that I keep realizing when I go to use those tried and true features from my old Vibe that are making me grumble at this new one. Going kayaking? no prob - 1st Gen rear window opens so you don't even need a roof rack. 2nd Gen... gotta buy a roof rack. :( Hauling something? Easy Peasy - 1st Gen's truckbed-like plastic from hatch all the way to passenger seat makes sliding things in and out a breeze. 2nd Gen - rubber slip-proof runners, stopping anything you're sliding every couple inches. Even 1st Gen's cup holders are vastly superior to 2nd Gens! Clearance in the hatch is less (at least at the door) which also makes it less versatile. Bottom line is a paradox - I am a current Vibe owner who REALLY misses her Vibe. I'm even seriously considering eating all that money in a roll-over to trade it in and purchase another 1st Gen - though, like myself, people just don't get rid of their Vibes so selection is extremely limited. All I can hope for is that after I take it in for it's many needed repairs (1st Gen never had a single problem) it'll grow on me when all is running smoothly and I won't mind everything I gave up by thinking newer was better.

You forgot to mention how annoying it would be to replace the license plate light, if and when it would burn out.
zythr

Post by zythr »

creekhed1 wrote:Im even pickier.... I only like the 03-04's! The Soltice grill just does NOT do it for me!~ ;)

I agree with the right color like Fusion Orange, Red or Blue, the 03-04s look really nice with the grill compared to the later years.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I have the 2009 1.8L base AT Power Package - the passenger front seat doesn't fold down. But at least for me I rarely used the eliminated features mentioned above - and remember the 2nd gen had as standard (no cost) various safety features - multiple air bags, 4 wheel disc antilock brakes, traction and stability control. Plus I literally stole my '09 after discounts, rebates, GM Card rebate, dealer factory incentive - and I got a decent price selling my '03. Total price paid for the '09 minus what I sold my '03 for was $3,654. If not for that likely once in a lifetime deal I would probably still be driving the '03 - it would have just 60,000 miles on it by now.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

I understand your feeling of being "stuck." I thought two properties was supposed to be a good thing. Holy effin nightmare, batman!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~