I need Help - I'm Addicted... to LIFT!!!!!!!!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
creekhed1

I need Help - I'm Addicted... to LIFT!!!!!!!!

Post by creekhed1 »

So are there any self help groups like AA or NA for those us us who get addicted to... LIFT? :?:
It all started out innocently enough: :roll: I was driving along one day after purchasing my 2003 Vibe GT and was in a hurry... so I revved it up in second gear and when she hit 6000 rpm's the Lift engaged and... WOW.... what a RUSH! :shock: It felt GREAT! All that power.... coming on in a rush... felt wonderful and euphoric! By the end of that week I found myself making excuses to go to the grocery store or to run errands, so that I could rev my little Vibe up to 6K and get my lift fix! By the end of the month it was already too late...
I need help! My gas mileage has tanked! I find myself stealing from my wife... pawning valuables.... shoplifting... anything...just to buy gas to .... GET LIFT!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I find myself sneaking lift... and keeping it a secret.... My family and friends are starting to say I have a problem. I know they are planning an intervention! HELP.... I AM ADDICTED!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

***For those who dont know what I am referring to LIFT is the Variable Timing Powerband in the 1st Gen GT.... kicks in at ~6K RPM and if you've never experienced it its a lot like a supercharger or turbo in many respects. Power comes on IN A RUSH and stays ON until redline.
Salsa Guy

Re: I need Help - I'm Addicted... to LIFT!!!!!!!!

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea boost is also addictive. In the 04 the raised the LIFT point to 6200 and the 05-06 it was raised to 6500.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Salsa Guy wrote:Yea boost is also addictive. In the 04 the raised the LIFT point to 6200 and the 05-06 it was raised to 6500.
Its actually 6200/6500/6800 for 03/04/05+

Similar to Honda's vtec
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

You think thats bad try Lift and a turbo... :D
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

thebarber wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:Yea boost is also addictive. In the 04 the raised the LIFT point to 6200 and the 05-06 it was raised to 6500.
Its actually 6200/6500/6800 for 03/04/05+

Similar to Honda's vtec
Thanks for correcting that.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
triz

Post by triz »

Imagine lift at 4k RPMs...oh yeah. Its hard to stay out of lift unless I'm shifting early.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1UUCgN7PYcs[/youtube]
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

WHY would they RAISE the Lift point? In 2003-04 it was ridiculously HIGH to begin with!
5K would be more like it!

...Which gets me thinking....is there a way to LOWER the onset?
shaeet

Post by shaeet »

agreed, the lift point on the VVTLI motor is stupidly high to the point where its nearly useless. I rarely hit lift on my XRS anymore cuz I'm worried i'll damage the motor (and i've heard plenty of horror stories from the celica guys). I really wish it'd engage at 5000-5500rpm instead :(.

I get my fix via my upgraded turbo WRX. Below 3400rpm it has no balls at all but once you hit that RPM point holy crap! you get 3x more power and it pulls all the way to redline. Unlike the stock turbo which hits full boost at like 2800 and runs out of steam at 4500 :(.
04 XRS 2ZZ-GE: Injen CAI, hotchkis sways, sportlines on gr2's, brz rims
(Soon For Sale) 05 Vibe 1ZZ auto, 02 WRX Stage 4, 09 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

Uve heard plenty of horror stories from Celica guys?

I DO worry about being in that zone as it is.... some pretty darn high RPM's to be playing around with.... yet I do it all the time. BUT... If these engines self destruct there after hitting 100K plus miles I will surely BACK OFF... as I cannot afford a new motor! :D

What about round these parts....and vibe/matrix 2ZZ meltdowns playing around with lift rpm's?
triz

Post by triz »

creekhed1 wrote:WHY would they RAISE the Lift point? In 2003-04 it was ridiculously HIGH to begin with!
5K would be more like it!

...Which gets me thinking....is there a way to LOWER the onset?
Aftermarket ECU. My 2zz hits lift at 4k rpms but I have a set of stage 2 Piper Cams in it.

With that being said I don't know what the differences as far as the PFC as it pertains to the Vibe. I would think a 2zz PFC would be all you need.
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

whats PFC?
triz

Post by triz »

PFC or Apexi PFC is a standalone engine management system. It replaces your ECU. It will allow you to change your lift engagement as well as various other tuning feature and will help increase HP/TQ. You would need it professionally tuned or use co-pilot which is an auto tune program. (I'm not sure if co-pilot supports the Vibe market) I would have to check for you.
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Hay triz....question where did you get the wiring harness to use the PFC on your car?
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

The 2zzge is a stout engine built by Yamaha. It'll bounce off the limiter all day long...
triz

Post by triz »

mac99d wrote:Hay triz....question where did you get the wiring harness to use the PFC on your car?
My harness was supplied by DDPerformanceResearch.com . Excellent group of guys near Houston, TX who tuned my 2zz MR-S. These guys know the 1zz and the 2zz engine very well. My car dynoed at 191whp 141TQ lift @4k RPMS with a 9k Rev limit. I'm considering stroking the motor out to a 2.0L since I lost the bottom end on it.

But if you get a chance check their site and look at the custom turbo they built on a 1zz.
Melophile

Post by Melophile »

Haha, I'm a noob when it comes to cars. What's lift?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw the bottom of your post xD Any way I can achieve this lift you speak of in my '09 Vibe GT? It would help me better understand what lift is :lol:
Stock '09 Pontiac Vibe GT
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Melophile wrote:Any way I can achieve this lift you speak of in my '09 Vibe GT? It would help me better understand what lift is :lol:
Unfortunately no :(.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

vibenvy wrote:Unfortunately no .
I'm kind of glad, personally. I don't need any more reasons to flirt with the red line! :lol:
Image  Image
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Soon my boost will be going away.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Salsa Guy wrote:Soon my boost will be going away.
Then you'll be about as quick as my 91 golf diesel!
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

No it won't be that quick....LOL
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Hmmm. My Vibe has an automatic transmission, so it's never been revved to 6000RPM.

My mileage ALREADY sucks at 26 MPG, so with gas at $3.60 a gallon, I see no reason to do ANYTHING to make it suck even worse than it already is. :shock:
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

Wow...I was getting 25 mpg when I 1st got my GT and was pushing it hard... now that Ive mellowed on "lift" a little bit and am driving it more mellow im getting 30 avg
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

which is worlds better than the 13mpg I was getting in my last ride...2000 ZR2 Blazer! (THATS WHY I SOLD IT!)