"Why the heck did you buy a Pontiac?!!"

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
gjswaff

"Why the heck did you buy a Pontiac?!!"

Post by gjswaff »

"Why the heck did you buy a POS Pontiac?!!". Like it's some cousin to the Aztec. I have owned my '09 Vibe GT for not even a week I have had to explain myself at least a half a dozen times. I just love having to explain to the uneducated consumer (Not that I'm an expert or anything) that the Vibe is a Toyota Matrix in Pontiac's clothing, only a lot more car for a lot less money. When I was shopping for mine, I ran across this Matrix XRS. Same year, same features (mostly), but more than twice the miles and $2200 more than I paid for my Vibe GT. For that I thank Pontiac for building such wonderful cars (insert sarcastic tone of voice here) like the Aztec, Sunfire (Cavalier), and Firebird, (Camaro). Judging from what I have read on this forum, people are pretty happy with their Vibes. I just hope my luck is as good as everyone else on this forum, because I just love this little car!.
Last edited by gjswaff on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ownerofgt

Re: "Why the heck did you buy a Pontiac?!!"

Post by Ownerofgt »

Lol dont write on this forum because we all think that a vibe is the matrix technology so its not true that a gt is not as good as tiburon v6 and sentra spec v or even a v-tec lol so go away please ! Just bought a gt with 250 000 kilos on it and my garage says that she runs like if it was a brand new so (removed) off !
zythr

Post by zythr »

In defense of Pontiac. They did have nice cars, like the Bonneville, and GTO. Toyota working with Pontiac was a much better fit than when Toyota was working with Chevrolet. IMO
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Welcome to the group!
Over the years, Pontiac produced some excellent performance cars and I really hated to see them go, especially right after producing that Sexy G8! I also was a fan of the ugly Pontiac Silhouette van, 26 mpg hwy, pulling my boat! My first car was almost a 1964 Pontiac Tempest with 390 cubic inch V8 and a 4 speed ($400.00) - My older brother wouldn't let me buy it :(
gjswaff

Post by gjswaff »

I'm sorry people, I don't mean to hate on Pontiac. Especially the people that worked for them. It's not their fault. I was a big Pontiac guy. My first car was a Tempest. My third car was a Sunbird (Worse car I ever owned). My forth car was LeMans. My wife had two 80's Firebirds (2nd and 3rd worse cars I ever owned). In the 60's and 70's they made great cars. The GTO, the Grand Prix, the Firebird were all awesome. Still my favorites. It's so unfortunate at some point GM started building cars that you were lucky to get 100,000 miles. So now I own another one. I guess I still haven't learned my lesson.
trb

Post by trb »

LOL! I don't really consider the Vibe to be a Pontiac except in name alone. The reason we bought our first one for my son was the Toyota dependability and hopefully it will last him a good long time. I liked it so much that I bought my 2010 GT instead of a new Sonata SE turbo that I was looking at. Certainly helped that a 2 yr old 36K mile Vibe was 1/2 the price of a new Sonata turbo. Plus I came across the same thing in shopping. A comparable Matrix was almost always a good $2K more.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

All I have driven since I got my license in 2000 is Pontiacs. My parents and I have had 5 of them, not including the Vibes. My parents bought a brand new 1989 Sunbird LE Sedan in 1988. It was totaled in 1997 with ~315,000 miles on it. It still ran great too. They also bought a brand new 1994 Sunbird LE Sedan that we just sold to a junkyard this past January. It had 268,010 miles on it and the only reason we junked it was because it was rusted so bad. It's a shame because it still ran like a champ. My mom had a 1998 Sunfire SE Sedan that she bought brand new. She traded it in with 201,000 miles on it for her 2009 Vibe GT in May of 2009. I had a 2002 Sunfire GT Coupe that I got brand new in late 2002. This little car was a lot of fun, especially after I lowered it and did some minor engine mods. I sold it in 2008 with 64,644 miles on it for $5300.00. I also had a 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan that I bought used in 2007. For the short time I had it, it was a great car as well and was also pretty fun despite having the 2200 engine which is pretty gutless. I traded it in for my 2009 Vibe GT in April of 2009. So, I do take offense to people knocking Pontiac only because I know firsthand, if properly maintained and cared for, they can last a long time (we had our 1994 Sunbird for 19 years without any major issues!) and be very reliable as well.

I am so glad we got our Vibes when we did. I started researching them and the more I read, the more I wanted one. With the demise of Pontiac looming, I loved that they had the aggressive, sporty Pontiac styling that I love so much with the added reliability of Toyota. It was a perfect segway away from my beloved Pontiacs. I will never buy a brand new GM vehicle ever again. When GM killed off Pontiac, they became non-existant to me and I was a very loyal Pontiac lover/owner.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

gjswaff, sounds like you need to debadge that car! Not that many people know that a red arrow means it is a Pontiac. I like to keep them guessing.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).