Help with EVAP codes

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
AlfaAndy

Help with EVAP codes

Post by AlfaAndy »

First post! I am trying to help a friend with a 2009 Vibe GT 2.4 The CEL keeps coming on with the same codes: P043E, P2419, P2402, P2401, P043F The inde shop tells him that he needs a new ECU that will cost over $1k. Can someone confirm this diagnosis, or help me to diagnose the problem properly, or guide me to earlier posts that will help me? Thanks!
joatmon

Re: Help with EVAP codes

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe. There may be a thread here about all those specific codes at once, but I don''t remember it. The internet seems to offer either the ECU or the charcoal canister as causes in various toyota vehicles, neither is cheap, and I completely understand wanting to know which to replace before buying parts.

Federal law requires a longer warranty on emission control parts, longer than the the general or powertrain warranties. How many miles are on the car?
AlfaAndy

Post by AlfaAndy »

Thanks for the reply joatmon. The car has 180K miles and has no driveability issues, other than the aforementioned check engine light and codes. After clearing codes, it takes about 500 miles before the CEL reilluminates. Always the same codes, usually in the same order. Of note, when the CEL reilluminates, the VSC, and the little symbol of a car in a skid illuminate as well. Why would an EVAP code cause an issue with those systems in the ECU? Thanks for your help!
ab2cmiller

Post by ab2cmiller »

My 2010 Vibe threw the same codes P043E, P2419, P2402, P2401, P043F. Did a little research and the charcoal canister seemed to be the most likely suspect with probably water or gas in the canister. Did a little more research and found that my issue of occasional problems fueling my Vibe where the station's gas pump would continually shut off before my tank was full also pointed to water or gas in the canister.

Had my buddy who's a mechanic confirm the problem, water in the canister. Replaced the canister and all is well.

Bought the Canister (AC Delco Part # 215-474) from Amazon for around $135 which was around $50 cheaper then anywhere else I could find.
Link if it helps anyone else. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQ ... PDKIKX0DER