XM Discount

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
09vGT

XM Discount

Post by 09vGT »

XM is having another discount offer going on. For existing subscribers they are offering half off of a years subscription. My plan renewed at $166.XX so I called to "cancel". They offered the $80.00 discount. I took it and got the internet radio for an extra $38.00. I still came out cheaper than before!

I'm pretty sure they'll offer something to do with 6 months also, I guess it just depends on how much you normally renew for.
Caretaker

Re: XM Discount

Post by Caretaker »

I'm so glad I took the $100 off the regular lifetime rate and ended up paying $425 after tax. That was 4 years ago, and as long as my Vibe stays healthy, I'll have it in the car for a lot longer. Having it for the rest of my life in my home is sweet too. I could not do without XM. Lumosity ran a 33% discount on their lifetime plan and I grabbed it too a few weeks ago. I am really enjoying over 80% of their games, and I am addicted to nearly half of them. Now I need to use my brain and figure out how to keep this Vibe running forever (for the sake of free XM).
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

They cold called me out of the blue today too. Haven't even registered with them. The only thing I can think of is I registered the VIN on the GM/Pontiac site and turned on the Onstar trial (which turned out to be worthless since the only thing that works on the Vibe is the super expensive phone). GM must have pinged XM with my info... Not so happy with that.
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote:I'm so glad I took the $100 off the regular lifetime rate and ended up paying $425 after tax. That was 4 years ago, and as long as my Vibe stays healthy, I'll have it in the car for a lot longer.
I'm with you here Caretaker 8-) I did the exact thing you did ALMOST four years ago and against most peoples' suggestion, paid a lifetime subscription for the Vibe radio. I WILL own this car for some 20+ years ;) Back in 2005 we bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius for our home stereo and we're WAAAYYYY ahead of the game on that deal :D Two years later I purchased another receiver with a mating boombox for me to use at the lake. camping, jobs sites, etc. and also paid for a lifetime subscription. Again, I'm ahead of the game on that one too ;) I tried real hard to convince OnStar to sell me a lifetime plan but they wouldn't budge. The best they would do was a four year plan for $149/year. I grabbed it! My minutes for the OnStar phone never expire even though they claim that they do. I just call up the local call center, up in Michigan & ask for the loyalty department and they roll any unused minutes over for another full year.

09vGT wrote:XM is having another discount offer going on. For existing subscribers they are offering half off of a years subscription. My plan renewed at $166.XX so I called to "cancel". They offered the $80.00 discount. I took it and got the internet radio for an extra $38.00. I still came out cheaper than before!

Hmmmmm .... Maybe the 6-month $24.99 offer is a thing of the past. Back on 10-24-2012 was the last time I renewed one of our Pontiacs. Come April 24th I'll have to renew again so I hope there are some offers next month!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

I haven't renewed mine since 2009. Ever since I started using Pandora I don't use XM radio or CDs anymore lol
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yes tpollauf, you and I took a big risk on buying the lifetime plan at that time given the price of the stock was about $1 and everyone on TV was predicting the company would go out of business. Thank goodness that satellite firm came along and infused their cash. My only gripe with the service would be this: since I was one of the customers who took a chance and put out my hard earned money up front to help a struggling company, I wish they would allow a one time replacement of my radio should someone come along and total my car. XM will give me a replacement (as I read it) if my radio malfunctions, but I don't believe they will do anything for me if the car is wrecked by someone else rendering the car unusable.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote: I wish they would allow a one time replacement of my radio should someone come along and total my car. XM will give me a replacement (as I read it) if my radio malfunctions, but I don't believe they will do anything for me if the car is wrecked by someone else rendering the car unusable.
Sirius's policy is that you can replace a radio/receiver up to three times on a lifetime subscription and then you're history. Our first JVC home receiver (rather BIG compared to the Sportster we now have) died in 2009 and we had no choice but to replace it. I think we got dinged for the $75 transfer fee at that time. Oh well, since then all has been good :D

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Now you have my total attention. I was told by an XM operator and have read their web page which states:

Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. You may cancel a Lifetime Subscription but if you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a cancellation fee set forth in these Terms. Non Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one Receiver to another Receiver, up to a maximum of three (3) times. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one Receiver to another or from one person to another you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of XM, it is defective. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one person to another based upon a stolen or accidentally damaged Receiver you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in these Terms. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker.

So, as I read it and was told, there isn't any way to get a $75 tranfer when trading from our Vibe to a new car, nor would you be eligible if the car was totalled since the Vibe's radio wasn't technically stolen nor damaged (perhaps) nor defective.
Do you believe there has been a change to this policy tpollauf? I hope so, because as I read it, I am good only as long as my Vibe is good, or if the radio becomes defective or stolen or damaged.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote:
So, as I read it and was told, there isn't any way to get a $75 transfer when trading from our Vibe to a new car, nor would you be eligible if the car was totalled since the Vibe's radio wasn't technically stolen nor damaged (perhaps) nor defective.
You are absolutely correct ..... However, one must define "DEFECTIVE". Most "totaled" cars, especially those suffering from front end damages, will no longer allow any of the electrical components to function. If your radio can't function in it's original car then it must be defective! Sirius/XM has no clue which vehicle any given radio is currently in. They do know what it originally came in but once removed & relocated (if this were to ever happen) they know nothing about it. As far as they are concerned it is still in it's original vehicle.
Caretaker wrote: Do you believe there has been a change to this policy tpollauf? I hope so, because as I read it, I am good only as long as my Vibe is good, or if the radio becomes defective or stolen or damaged.
Again you are correct. If for some reason, when the time comes, you decide to sell the Vibe and drive a different vehicle, well the original radio COULD become defective ( I got a hammer I'll lend you :roll: ) then when you transfer the subscription to a replacement XM compatible radio, put it in any car you want. You're merely maintaining your lifetime subscription and that is what the folks at Sirius/XM are trained to do .... KEEP as many customers as possible :D

kostby

Post by kostby »

SiriusXM is offering a free 2-month subscription to people who purchased "pre-owned" vehicles without activating a subscription.
Of course terms and conditions apply, and if you don't cancel service before the trial is over, they'll bill you unto eternity. Maybe longer.

https://care.siriusxm.com/preownedvehic ... iew.action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.