The Kia forte-5-door

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
cptnsolo77

The Kia forte-5-door

Post by cptnsolo77 »

http://www.kia.com/#/forte-5-door" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stumbled onto this today. Had no clue this model existed. Might make a nice Vibe replacement. I think it looks really good. Clean lines & handsome styling.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Chiadog

Re: The Kia forte-5-door

Post by Chiadog »

Save your money for a year! That's the OLD one! I like simple, but the 2013 is so bland it's practically homely. Introducing the 2014 Kia 5 door:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/2014-kia ... icago-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chiadog
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Another link:
http://www.jdpower.com/content/new-car- ... review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

The upcoming Forte5 is a much better looker than its Elantra GT sibling... 8-)

The old Forte 5's were ok -- albeit were built on a dated platform. They introduced the hatch with such little fanfare, it's not surprising people didn't know about them. Exactly like what they did with the Rondo, which was a very useful vehicle for what it was but Kia didn't bother to let people know about them. The end result for their inaction of course was discontinuation. Which is kinda interesting that they actually bothered to offer a replacement for the old Forte 5.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

New Forte looks good, will have to see if Kia decides to allow an up level model with manual trans (probably not). The other problem with this Kia... don't think it's built in the U.S. Have to admit that some of these Korean cars are getting pretty nice, though.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Chiadog wrote:Save your money for a year! That's the OLD one! I like simple, but the 2013 is so bland it's practically homely. Introducing the 2014 Kia 5 door:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/2014-kia ... icago-show" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chiadog
That's going on my "good enough to replace Epona if she ever explodes" list.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

The Forte SX 5-Door is equipped with a turbocharged, direct-injection, 1.6-liter 4-cylinder engine generating 201 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 195 lb.-ft. of torque between 1,750 rpm and 4,500 rpm. This engine is offered with a 6-speed manual gearbox or a 6-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, and larger front brakes accompany the more powerful engine in the SX model.
im sold (in a 6MT)
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Kia may be reading their mail and some of the automotive blogs, since most of their cars have been marketed with automatics in anything other than entry base level trim. SX offered with a 6 speed manual trans will help sell this car. I just wish it were built here in the states.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibolista wrote: SX offered with a 6 speed manual trans will help sell this car. I just wish it were built here in the states.
Them Koreans are finally getting their S H I T together and producing some nice cars. Unfortunately for them I will never own one :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I also would much prefer to buy a made in USA car. But when the best Chevy can do is add an overpriced urea sucking diesel to the Cruze while keeping the Cruze hatch in Europe, Korea is starting to look pretty cool.
chiadog
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

i think both the forte 5 and elantra gt look good. i'm a little partial to the elantra, since my mom picked up an elantra sedan in november. nice interior. i think the body looks great, but headroom is not like the vibe. and the panoramic sunroof on the gt is very nice

de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

That elantra looks really good ! Nice interior too, but darnit...they gave it a smiley face ! LOL
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

cptnsolo77 wrote:That elantra looks really good ! Nice interior too, but darnit...they gave it a smiley face ! LOL
Hahaha, I know, right?!? First Mazda and now Hyundai... Oh well

Still nice.
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

cptnsolo77 wrote:That elantra looks really good ! Nice interior too, but darnit...they gave it a smiley face ! LOL
Yeah, I had a laugh when I saw their sales text on the front grille called it an "assertive" look!
Image  Image
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Rayven01 wrote:
Yeah, I had a laugh when I saw their sales text on the front grille called it an "assertive" look!
My girlfriend told me that in business, the difference between assertive and aggressive is a smile

Hmmmmm hahahahahaha
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

More Kia forte 5! Not sure I like the sculpture (sag) line on the doors, but it looks taller and roomier than the current model.
http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-kia-fort ... 27509.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chiadog
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Chiadog wrote:... but it looks taller and roomier than the current model.
It does look that way but the stats in that link say it's actually 1/2"\1" less front head\leg room than the 2013. 4 more cubic feet in the rear though.
Image  Image
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

That's unfortunate. The 2013 Kia Forte 5 roof is already about five inches lower than an 03-08 Vibe! To me this makes the Kia look like a toy (not Toyota) or a clown car. It will be interesting to see how it looks in person.
Chiadog
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

To my eye the 2014 Kia Forte sedan isn't much of a "looker", but at least it doesn't repulse me like a few of its competitors do.
What may make this Kia a leader in the compact class is its 174hp, 2.0 liter direct injection engine. This engine comes in the "base" car and puts the Kia well above the competition in acceleration. Looks like an automatic transmission only at this time which is a negative.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... irst_test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I just got back from the Columbus, OH auto show - I did not see either a 2013 or 2014 Kia Forte there.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hey Jake,
Any Nissan Notes there? Supposed to go on sale soon. Thanks for the report!
http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-note/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chiadog
meinmi

Post by meinmi »

I am loving my Vibe (2006 with 130,000 and in perfect shape) but I have started paying attention to other cars as possible "what's next" candidates. I agree with how appealing the Korean cars are looking. We have a Hyundai Santa Fe that is a great car and there are 6 other Hyundai's in my extended family. I respect the people who will never drive a foreign brand but for me that ship sailed long ago. Non big 3 car companies are assembling as many cars in the continental US as the big 3 it seems and my buying decisions will be made in my best interests for the car being bought at the time I'm buying it. Blind loyalty to the US in the 70's did nothing to keep the big 3 building quality vehicles; in fact doing so now may doom them to not rising to the quality they are capable of and this time they may not make it back. With how great the Vibe is doing probably not my concern for at least 3 or 4 years.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Hyundais/Kias are great, too bad their dealers leave a lot to be desired. I've long been a fan based on the merits of the products themselves.... But I could only take so much of "you'd better buy this *insert unnecessary profit-padding maintenance item not required by the manufacturer here* or you'll void your 'America's Best Warranty.'" And when there was a legitimate warranty claim, they'd like to ding me $89 for a diagnostic fee and tell me nothing was wrong. YMMV on that of course. There are good dealers out there but for me it's 1.5-2 hours away which is an unacceptable distance to travel for service.

Thus, despite being a huge fan, when it came time to replace my Hyundai I remembered the way I was treated by them and chose to spend my dollars elsewhere.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
meinmi

Post by meinmi »

Excellant points all; sums up why I never have and never plan to buy a new car and use a trusted local garage for all service I can't do myself. I gave up trusting any dealer years ago for any service or maintenance.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

So far, the only thing I've had to take my car in for (besides as CEL issue that I didn't understand the details of--this was like four years ago) is alignments. I like to go to Lithia Toyota here. Their alignments are really cheap and I'm going to assume well-done since my car has yet to have irregular tire wear or blow up. We also have a Lithia Hyundai right next door to Toyota. I've been really, really pleased with them, so I'll be keeping them in mind if I ever need a new car: Kia Rio5, Forte 5-door, Veloster, Elantra GT, maybe even Elantra Touring; and I'm still a bit interested in the Yaris. Unfortunately, I'm not so interested in the new Matrix.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
JPark

Post by JPark »

I wish I could give the Yaris a thumbs up, but my brother just got one and the interior makes my Vibe feel like a luxury car.
RIP '06 Platinum Vibe--at 189k miles, you died too young
'09 Vibe GT--we're still getting acquainted