infant car seats

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
nugentc

infant car seats

Post by nugentc »

I've searched past threads on here but didn't quite get the information I need. I have an '06 Vibe and now have a new baby. We've just started out with a Chicco infant carrier and base and it fits okay but barely. It is wide enough that even when installed in the middle of the back seat, it still forces the two front seats up a bit farther than we'd like and my husband is tall. We can put up with it if need be, but is there an infant carrier seat that is either a) narrower so that it doesn't push against the two front seats, or b) shorter so that it doesn't extend so far forward?

My next dilemma is when to do when she outgrows the carrier seat and base. We'll need a convertible seat that can be rear-facing for a while. Which convertible seats fit well in the Vibe in the rear-facing position?

Thanks!
kathrin

Re: infant car seats

Post by kathrin »

I like this forum, amazing and very informative,
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

I doubt you'll find an infant seat that allows the front seats to be all the way back. The carrying handle has to swing to the front of the car and provide some bracing power against the back of the front seat. You won't be using the infant seat very long though, it's only for the first 6 months or so.

I used the Cosco Scenera convertible seat and it works well for both front and rear facing. The front seat did have to go up a few inches when rear facing, but again that's only temporary. We graduated both our kids to forward facing after they turned 1.

Just put the seat behind the passenger and whoever sits there will enjoy the extra leg room after the first year.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

You pretty much just have to suck it up for the year they're required to be rear facing...or whatever your state/provincial requirements are.
kowell

Post by kowell »

I have a 2009 vibe but the rear space is somewhat the same as in a 2006.
Here is my experience from the last 18 months.

My infant carrier was a Graco Snugride 35 wich is one of the biggest on the market.
I placed it in the center of the backseat because it allowed me to move the front seats back a little compared to placing it on a side.
My gf was OK riding the passenger seat but it was a litle cramped for me. (I'm about 5.8, she's 5.6)

The next seat I bought was a Britax Boulevard. It was advertised as one of the most compact seat.
Since you can't put these ones in the middle, I placed it behind the passenger seat.
With the seat facing rear, my gf was OK in the passenger seat but I was not. My knees would push against the glove compartment.
These seats when rear facing, take more space than an infant carrier.
This is only for about 6 months though. After that we switched the seat forward facing and the passenger seat is back in a normal position.

During this period, usually, one of us would be driving while the other one would be in the backseat next to the baby.
The front passenger seat was rarely used.

When we bought a second car, we also bought an Evenflo Symphony 65 3in1 car seat. It's slightly bigger than the britax but a lot less expensive.
This 2nd seat is in a Sienna so space isn't an issue.
The seat is by far the easiest I have seen to install and remove on the go.
Built quality isn't as nice as the Britax though.

I also looked into the sunshine radian because it is very narrow. It is one of the only car seat narrow enough that you can place 3 of them on a rear bench of a small car. Unfortunatly it is long, very long. Forward facing this isn't a problem but rear facing, I couldn't even fit it inside the vibe without blocking out a front seat. Not very useful.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

imo there is more space in the 1st gen rear seats than second

had a snugride 35 behind the passenger seat and i could still sit in the passenger seat...im 6'-0". tried it in the 2nd gen and it was a no-go

then had sunshine kids radian xt seat rear facing...i was still ok in the passenger seat of our 1st gen

now have 2 sunshine kids in teh back, forward facing....still enough room for someone to sit between the seats...my hips fit between, but my shoulders, don't. had to sit twisted one time to get my son to sleep on a car ride

long story short, 1st gen = winningest
nugentc

Post by nugentc »

Thanks for all of the good information, everyone!
Pedrooricy

Post by Pedrooricy »

@nugentc it seems that you have some experience with chicco infant seats. Can you share? Are you happy with them?
Sorry for being off topic. I've been researching chicco infant seats for a while and thought to reach out and ask for your opinion. I've been sifting through car seats for weeks and finally managed to short list some. The blog reviews weren't helpful because they never mentioned anything negative. I almost gave up when I came across a site which seems to be the real deal. They look like they actually try and test these seats. After i've read the Chicco keyfit30 vs fit2 comparison I've learned how safe they are. What's your take on it which one is better. Would you recommend chicco?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Pedrooricy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:33 am @nugentc it seems that you have some experience with chicco infant seats. Can you share? Are you happy with them?
Sorry for being off topic. I've been researching chicco infant seats for a while and thought to reach out and ask for your opinion. I've been sifting through car seats for weeks and finally managed to short list some. The blog reviews weren't helpful because they never mentioned anything negative. I almost gave up when I came across a site which seems to be the real deal. They look like they actually try and test these seats. After i've read the Chicco keyfit30 vs fit2 comparison I've learned how safe they are. What's your take on it which one is better. Would you recommend chicco?
I don't think the OP is going to answer. He hasn't been on in nearly 3 years.

HOWEVER, I currently have the keyfit 30 for our Sapling that will arrive in about a month. It is currently behind the passenger side in the wife's Vibe for testing the fitment. So far, she has no issue with passenger seat and the car seat fitment. The front seats definitely cannot be slide all the way back, however, there is still plenty of leg room for it.

I have the base behind driver's seat in my manual Vibe. I am going to be test fitting this weekend if I get a chance, to see if I need to swap sides.

I went with the Chicco Bravo Lite I believe it was... Great bang for buck, with really good safety ratings. Plus, we got the stroller that goes with it, so we can continue to use the base/strollers, etc. for a while.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe