Map light fixture

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Adam24303

Map light fixture

Post by Adam24303 »

Any ideas on removing the map light fixture in an 09 vibe? I was tinkering yesterday with adding LEDs and when attempting to remove a map light bulb i'm pretty sure I snapped it and its holder off, up and away into the headliner.

Ahhhhh rookie mistake. I installed the LEDs perfectly on the other map light and dome, though, after the blunder.
They look great.

BUT

I feel so dumb now.

:cry:
Check out my garage!
tpollauf

Re: Map light fixture

Post by tpollauf »

Do you have the sunroof option? If memory serves me correct you do not. What a shame, especially being in Florida :o You never replied to a PM I sent you :( Maybe you didn't get it. I'm going to be in your neighborhood mid Feb & may want to hook up with other GenVibers while down there. Back to this post, I plan on removing mine (I have sunroof) and making it DEEPER so a normal pair of sunglasses actually can be stored up there :lol: Also LED bulbs and LED indicators so you can see the light button in the dark ;) For now I have no idea what I'm up against. I'll refer to the Helm manuals for insight before destroying any components. Let's hope the manual has the correct information :shock: Contact me soon ................. Tim
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

Do you have these lights?

You need to remove the entire assembly to replace the bulbs. There are four metal clips holding it in, two on the front side, two on the back side. I think if you pull hard enough on the assembly, it will come out, but I couldn't get a good grip on it. I used a couple credit cards in between the plastic and headliner. Angle them slightly upwards, push in to release the clips and pull down to drop the assembly. There is an electrical connector you need to undo as well.

The bulb holders twist out, then the bulbs can be replaced.
Adam24303

Post by Adam24303 »

I believe mine is different because I do have a sunroof. Thank you for taking the time out to post. I appreciate it!
Check out my garage!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

For 2009-2010 Vibes with a sunroof, the entire map light/sunglass storage assembly does not need to be removed. Simply use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pop the map light lenses off, then use a piece of blue painter's tape to help remove the bulbs from their housings. Put the tape onto the bulb and then carefully wiggle it back and forth until the bulb pops out of the housing. Using the tape should prevent the bulb from breaking and will make it much easier to remove than trying to use just your fingers.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Adam24303

Post by Adam24303 »

Yeah, I was careful with the passenger side. The drivers side I broke it and the bulbs housing. Both are somewhere up in the headliner now. That's why I was wondering if the whole unit came out so I could find the loose parts and maybe try to repair. I think I snapped it though. That's why I feel so stupid. Wasn't careful with the first attempt.
Check out my garage!
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

It might be able to be glued and fixed. Can you take a pic of your map light. I see pics of the sunroof map light for 03-08 but not 09-10

You cannot buy that part from GM anymore. BUT you can get the part from Toyota as it fits 2009-2012 Matrix

http://www.partswebsite.com/autopartspe ... chall=test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty pricy though

Good luck
Adam24303

Post by Adam24303 »

This is my map light:

This is the empty hole left after I snapped the light.

I think it might be a lost cause.
Live and learn I guess.
Check out my garage!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Adam24303 wrote: I think it might be a lost cause.
NEVER !!! 8-) It's only a lost cause when all the plastic is broken, cracked, missing sections, melted, etc. From what this pic shows, whatever your dilemma is CAN be corrected! There always is a way. If you can't figure out how to fix it then I'll help you when I'm down your way mid-February ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Well I got some good news for you. I don't think there is any damage at all to the map light and your map light housing is fine.

What you have in the map light is a T3 194 wedge base bulb in a removable plastic housing(bulb socket)

Here is a pic of the bulbs from my spare map light housing for my non sunroof 2009 Vibe and my 2012 Scion XB(no sun roof) that I found in a junk yard.

You can see both the bulb removed from the bulb socket and the other bulb in the socket

the bulb housing/socket/base have two metal tangs on them which makes contact with a metal strip on the top of the hole for the bulb on the map light housing, this allows power to get to the bulb. The bulb housing/base attaches to the map light housing by putting the bulb in the hole and turning clockwise a half turn.

What you did was in your effort to pull the bulb out of the plastic housing, you jostled the bulb's base counter clockwise and the bulb socket part/housing/base came loose from the map light and is in the roof above the map light.

The map light should have been removed from the roof and the bulbs removed with their bases. All you need to do is remove the map light housing(should be held up with 4 metal tangs just like the non sunroof map light BUT may have screws instead so be careful) and find the base of the bulb and put your LED light bulb into that base and then put it back into the map light housing and you should be good to go. In the event you cannot find it then simply go to Toyota and get a new bulb(they don't sell the base on its own) It should only be a few dollars

Here is what the non sunroof housing looks like from the top

Good luck and don't feel bad, the only way to learn is to try stuff
Adam24303

Post by Adam24303 »

Wow, you have been such a great help! Maybe all isn't lost.

I have hope now. I definitely twisted it and when it got loose i accidentally kind of pushed it up and then it was lost.

Thank you again!
Check out my garage!
Adam24303

Post by Adam24303 »

One last question. They will sell me the socket with the bulb?
Check out my garage!
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Yes Toyota will sell you the complete bulb/socket. They will not sell the socket part on its own(at least in the Toyota dealers in my area. My guess is that your missing part will fall down at you when you drop the map light housing.

GHood luck
Adam24303

Post by Adam24303 »

Guess who finally fished out the lamp and socket and now has a complete set of LEDs in the interior now!

Me!

It wasn't painless, nearly gave up and glad I didn't.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Now on to the fog lights. Just got some new yellow ones in the mail.
Check out my garage!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Adam24303 wrote:This is my map light:
Man, I wish my 2006 base had that...
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear you got the map light situation solved and are now able to fully enjoy your LED bulbs :cool:! Can't wait to see pictures of the yellow fog lights ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Ace Barker

Post by Ace Barker »

I have the same unit with the sunroof. I tried the credit card to no avail. i am not sure how to get that off. When you fished the socket out don't you have to remove the housing to put it back in? If so did you have screws to remove or the metal tangs? I am not seeing any screws.

Thanks

Ace...
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!
MaggioMC

Post by MaggioMC »

I was able to successfully remove the map light fixture from my 2009 Pontiac Vibe by using a flat-tipped screwdriver on the four corners of the fixture. The fixture is held in place by four plastic studs, not screws or clips. You have to take it slowly or you might break the studs.
Attachments
20231217_134417.jpg
20231217_134417.jpg (507.36 KiB) Viewed 145 times