New buy and plug pics

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
GregC

New buy and plug pics

Post by GregC »

Hi, just got a 2003 base 145,000 miles and am getting 22mpg.
have a ODB2 scanner and have a 420 on and off
power seems good, idle good
So far have done.
air filter
plugs
checked fluids all ok
Here are the plugs what do you think? What will i get for MPG now?
Thanks

sideshowalan

Re: New buy and plug pics

Post by sideshowalan »

Sweet looking vibe, I like the contrast between that red and the cladding.

The plugs look ok, just a little worn.

A P0420 code usually means the cat converter needs to be replaced, which would explain your MPG drop.
Let us know if you're able to resolve it.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, those do look worn. If you get the code solved, you should get a good 25-27 city, and up to 35 hwy on it. I know that is what we get on my son's 06. Even when I drive it to work in moderate freeway traffic, with a little bit of hard driving, :D I usually got 26 or better. Careful driving, and I got 28.

Good luck on it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Props on posting a picture of your Vibe right away ;)! Good luck solving your MPG drop issue.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
GregC

Post by GregC »

Thanks, did a pcv valve today might help some more. I might need to test the CAT what way might be best a temp front to back test, or vacuum test. If it's a back pressure test might need to have that done.
The 420 does go on and off, so might not to bad yet. Any one using Torque app ? any tips?

Thanks greg
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Greg :D Awesome first post including pics of your Vibe. You should definitely be getting upper 20's to 30mpg with your 1.8l base Vibe. Us newer Vibes with the 2.4l are getting better than what you're experiencing. Keep us posted as to any/all progress and again ........................................................ Welcome ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

GregC wrote: Any one using Torque app ? any tips?

Thanks greg
Sure, I've been using the Torque app with both of our Vibes. I got the $25 OBDII adapter on ebay and it works well. Once I programmed everything in for each of them, the MPG is pretty much within 3% of my manual calculation or less. Lots of neat things to display, but mostly I just use it to monitor water temp and instant & average MPG and MPH. The travel time and route function is neat too.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
GregC

Post by GregC »

Did you just do all the standard info or did you adjust any of the extra fields?
Boost = 14.7
volumetric efficiency = 85
MPG trim = 1.0
ODB speed multiplier = 1.0

is this what you use and get 3% error.

Thanks much
Greg
trb

Post by trb »

For our 06 Vibe I have Torque set up like this:

Displacement 1.8
Weight 1400 kg
Fuel E10
Tank capacity 13.2 gal
Boost 0.0
Max RPM 6400
Volumetric Eff. 85.0
MPG trim 1.0
OBD speed multiplier 1.0

The average numbers I get are usually within 0.5 MPG of the manual calculation.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
GregC

Post by GregC »

I am probably not right on this but is boost set to 14.7 for altitude at sea level? With all the changes I am making I'm sure how good my MPG readings are.

Greg
trb

Post by trb »

Most cars should be set at 0 from what I understood. You only have to adjust if you are in high altitudes, or special cases.

From the http://www.torque-bhp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website:
The boost adjustment option in the vehicle profile can be used to correct for two things:
Atmospheric pressure adjustment - if you are significantly above sea level, and your vehicle uses a MAP sensor, then you may use this field to adjust your boost/vacuum readings to compensate for the reduced atmospheric pressure at higher altitides
Some vehicles (Mitsubishi Evo) may read 14.7psi even when the engine is off - this is due to the way the ECU is reporting data. You can use the field to adjust the pressure (put -14.7 in) so that it reads correctly for these vehicles
http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Boost_Adjustment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More info on using Torque:

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Well hello Vibe Twin! I'm struggling as well with the 0420 code. Hope to have it completely fixed very soon. Welcome to Genvibe!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
GregC

Post by GregC »

Well second tank was 24.6 MPG. Today I put in a O2 so I hope that was slow enuf to get me 2 more MPGs broke 1 rear bolt but it does not rattle yet. Its close to the firewall so is going to be hard to get out.

Greg
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Nice Vibe... what kind of temperatures are you driving in? Don't see your location. Also, check tire pressure. Vibe does well with 38-40 psi front and 36-38 psi rear, as long as there's no snow. Clean the MAF yet? Synthetic oil? Which plugs did you put in? Check the plug wires. Manual or Auto? Keep after it, you're doing all the right stuff. MPGs should come up.

A manual first gen Vibe is capable of pretty great mileage... 35-40 mpg in the summer, driven gently. Winter gets dicey, because of Winter blend fuel and whatever kind of climate you live in. Let us know how your car progresses.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
GregC

Post by GregC »

Temps have been all over the place 20-50 F. Tires 36psi, MAF cleaned second tank. Plugs were NGK IV, also have the auto so I think I have done almost all I can, the 420 is off more than on so far. I hope the new front O2 helps on this tank. Thanks for helping.

Greg
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Seems like you've done just about everything to get the most efficiency out of your Vibe. What oil is in the crankcase? I've been using synthetic oil with great results, especially during Winter.

Plug wires do wear out, so check to see if they are OK.

Might want to check the intake run to make sure its clear.

You live where temperatures get cold enough for Winter fuel blend. That stuff will kick your mileage down quite a bit. You may have to wait until sometime in the Spring when we all go back to the Summer gasoline blends to see better MPG numbers from your car.

It'll be interesting to see how your car improves. Remember that driving style has a huge effect on how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas. Smooth and easy really helps... and stay near the speed limits when you can! Automatic Vibes do pretty well when it comes to MPG numbers.

Hang in there.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vibolista wrote:Remember that driving style has a huge effect on how many miles you can get out of a tank of gas. Smooth and easy really helps... and stay near the speed limits when you can! Automatic Vibes do pretty well when it comes to MPG numbers.
Keep the RPMs under 3000 when accelerating ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
GregC

Post by GregC »

Well last 2 tanks 24, 24.5 latest with 140 highway and 27.5 MPG :shock: . I think I am going to get 24 on winter blend we will see what summer blend gets me.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Hey welcome to the family.

Yep the winter blend does not agree w my vibe. You should see a pretty good improvement come springtime.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
GregC

Post by GregC »

Last 2 tanks 25.5 so we might be on summer blend now.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

My well abused 05 base auto at 145K gets 32 highway @ 65mph. My brothers non-pampered 05 base gets 40mpg highway. If you've done all tune-up things and are still in the mid-twentys - Check your compression to rule out engine problems.
Edit: Oops, forgot- Did you get the wheel alignment checked? Can be a huge deal on gas-sipper cars!
Last edited by Chiadog on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

Welcome, hope you get if figured out. 29MPG is the least I get on all three of mine. Good looking car!
Mazzy21

Post by Mazzy21 »

Congrats on the new Vibe! And with my favorite option - a sunroof!! :D

My '05 Base got absolutely fantastic MPG so I'm sure when you're done tinkering with this one it'll do the same. I am not light on the pedal, and driving every day on the freeway (15 minutes each way) at 80mph,along with your typical running around in the evening, only had me filling up once every two weeks. It was wonderful! :D

Enjoy!!
GregC

Post by GregC »

This weekend I did the refinish restorer looks good to me what do you think? This is 1 I think I will do 1 more next weekend
Before pics

after

chrispbacon

Post by chrispbacon »

trb wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm
GregC wrote: Any one using Torque app ? any tips?

Thanks greg
Sure, I've been using the Torque app with both of our Vibes. I got the $25 OBDII adapter on ebay and it works well. Once I programmed everything in for each of them, the MPG is pretty much within 3% of my manual calculation or less. Lots of neat things to display, but mostly I just use it to monitor water temp and instant & average MPG and MPH. The travel time and route function is neat too.
I have an OBDIi adapter too and the free Torque app. When you say program everything in, you mean just setting up your graphs/dials in the app right? I dont think Torque is able to program anything into the cars computer right? I just use it to monitor mpg jnstamt and average. it would be nice if i could change the settings on the car though. I would like to change the shift points so that it shifts a bit earlier so i can get better mpg. im a smooth and easy driver and rarely ever punch it.
thatsthevibe

Post by thatsthevibe »

Nice car! That’s my favorite color for the older vibes.
I’ve never heard of this torque thingy, what is it used for, it sounds like a pretty good idea, I’d like to be able to get real numbers on oil temp, water temp, and AFR, I’d rather know temp was above 200 rather than ‘above normal’.
2006 Pontiac Vibe - Sun & Sound (4/28/06)
2007 Chevy Silverado 6.0 - LTZ & Z71 (6/12/07)
2017 Chevy Equinox AWD 3.6 - LTZ