Everything you need to know about the Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
hguyer13

exhaust

Post by hguyer13 »

So what r the differences in the exhaust systems for the 3 different models have a 2006 vibe awd difficult to find aftermarket exhaust systems?? what r the differeneces between models? would base model exhaust work??
Jacobmartin7

Re: Everything you need to know about the Vibe

Post by Jacobmartin7 »

I have a question. I have seen vibes with leather seats in them, did they make that an option from the factory or are people just putting seat covers over them?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Jacobmartin7 wrote:I have a question. I have seen vibes with leather seats in them, did they make that an option from the factory or are people just putting seat covers over them?
First gen Vibes had leather as an option starting in 2005. Some however did replace the seat covers.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
AliceT

Post by AliceT »

Hi - I finally have to junk my 2003 Vibe, and I just bought a 2008 Vibe with 91K miles. Before I have the 03 towed to the junk yard, I want to strip off anything that might be on the 03 that the 08 doesn't come with. I have scavenged the roof rack cross bars and changed out the two tier armrest cover. I am grateful to this blog because now I know I can remove the auxilliary 12 v outlet from the 03 and the wiring will already be there to install it in the 08. I enjoyed the discussion of the changes over the years, and I noticed one small thing that no one mentioned. My 03 had a nice map pouch on the back of the drivers seat, but the 08 does not. If anyone has any more advice for me before the 03 goes, I appreciate it!
AliceT

Post by AliceT »

Oh, and the 03 did not have the moon roof, whereas the 08 does. Is that why the 08 has an extra 5th speaker in the back cargo compartment? I bought both cars used, so I don't know what came standard, what the various option packages were, or what the stand alone options were. I saw mention of the Moon and Tune package, but not a real description of what that included. Thanks.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

AFAIK, the moon and tunes package was a sunroof & sound system package. It includes an amplifier under the passenger seat, tweeters in the front doors mounted just inside the side mirrors, the subwoofer in the rear hatch area, and the moonroof. You will also notice your map lights are now on the headliner rather than the rearview mirror.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

@ AliceT: Sorry, I'm of no help to you because I am not too familiar with the 1st gens (2003-2008) since ours are both 2nd gens (2009-2010), but I just wanted to say that it's great to hear that you got another Vibe. The fact that there are so many members here who have multiple Vibes and / or are repeat Vibe owners (like yourself) says so much about just how great our beloved Vibes really are!

You should post some pictures of both your Vibes, as we love pictures around here ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

KITT222 wrote: 1ZZ-FE
Bore = 79 mm
Stroke = 91.5 mm
Horse Power = 130 HP (120hp in Vibe AWD due to exhaust routing)
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
SFI Fuel Injection
Unleaded
The 1ZZ-FE has 10:1 compression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#1ZZ-FE
2006 Matrix 5-sp
comesky

Post by comesky »

first off first post bought my 04 vibe with 266k salsa red with sunroof for 900, a month later ran it out of oil blew.... after searching getting prices from 400 for an engine with 183k to 1500... i got lucky at my local u pull it junk yard had just brought in a 2005 they said you pull it its 100 i had a friend do a car fax on it found it it was a police tow 73k miles so i bought the engine and trans for 100 each ....got lucky and the junk guy said yea i know a guy he pulled it and replaced my engine and trans for 400 biggest issues was the drive by wire so i have a 2004 vibe with 73k i want to drive it 300k
sippy25

Post by sippy25 »

hello I am wondering can I install a 1.8 litre 1zz-fe into a vibe gt 2003 that had a 2zz-ge? will the 6 speed transmission hook up to it? thanks
liferules04

Post by liferules04 »

Thanks for a great informative post.

I acquired a 2005 Vibe with honestly 38,000 miles. It was my Grandmothers and she wanted me to have it as part of her estate. So, yes, it was driven by a little old lady :-)

Still learning about the car, and planning many upgrades. Love the car.

Installing a new Antenna base and stalk next week.
Chuck
2005 Pontiac Vibe 54k+
JSizzle

Post by JSizzle »

Good info. I didn't realize the GT trim wasn't available continuously throughout production. Wonder why there was a 2 year gap in 2007/8?
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

JSizzle wrote:Good info. I didn't realize the GT trim wasn't available continuously throughout production. Wonder why there was a 2 year gap in 2007/8?
The GT (and the AWD) didn't sell as well as the base FWD, so they stopped production in 2006: the 1st gen GT was available with manual transmission only and the 1st gen AWD was slightly under powered with the 1ZZ engine. Both returned in 2009 having addressed the reasons for slow sales. The 2nd gen GT got an A/T and the AWD got the 2.4l engine.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

BACK FROM THE SEMI-DEAD

I've moved all the pictures off Photobucket because they're assholes that broke the thread. But it's fixed now! Hooray!
pepper2010

Post by pepper2010 »

Fabulous thread. Thank you for updating it for the visuals!
2004 White 1.8L Vibe
2010 Red 2.4L Vibe
lavaman

Post by lavaman »

I've noticed another small detail, our 04 has a threaded screw-in gas cap. My 05 has a twist & click cap, but then when my wife bought her 05, I noticed it has the threaded cap like the 04......early 05 maybe? I also removed 2 grab handles from the parts car & cut the holes in the headliners & installed them above the driver door of each of our cars (the threaded holes are already there) but when she bought the second 05,(which is an awd with side airbags) we found it already had the fourth grab handle. So is this a awd thing, or a side airbag thing?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

lavaman wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm I've noticed another small detail, our 04 has a threaded screw-in gas cap. My 05 has a twist & click cap, but then when my wife bought her 05, I noticed it has the threaded cap like the 04......early 05 maybe? I also removed 2 grab handles from the parts car & cut the holes in the headliners & installed them above the driver door of each of our cars (the threaded holes are already there) but when she bought the second 05,(which is an awd with side airbags) we found it already had the fourth grab handle. So is this a awd thing, or a side airbag thing?
That, I'm not sure. Mom's 05 AWD w/ side airbags has the oh (removed) handles on the driver and passenger side up front... The rest of our fleet does not. However, I haven't checked the recent 05 AWD we picked up.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Great info here.
Thanks for your efforts KITT222 and everyone else who contributed!
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

Underneath the windscreen I have one drain scuttle. Pontiac vibe 07 base model.

How many are there supposed to be? It’s a black clip under the passenger side that takes excess water from the windscreen. I have one passenger side but driving my sled nuts trying to find out if there is supposed to be two? One passenger / one driver side.

I have an ongoing leak in the drivers side well and need help figuring out how many drain scuttles there should be.

Any help is appreciated!!
She had a face like a box of frogs!
cab4word67

Re:Hello i am a new owner of a 05 VIBE

Post by cab4word67 »

Hello everyone,
I just bought a 05 Vibe base model, and will likely be on this site for some time. Thanks again. Here's what I got from a good friend whos mom passed a while back.
05 Vibe Dark gray with 80K on it, yes 80K. She gave it to me for a good deal because she said it leaked. I went in after finding this site and found the DS drain on the skylight was partly clogged so I chased them and all seams good Car has only been hit once in the rear quarter. And I would not of known but my other good friend and painter said they came to him for the repairs. Other then that it has yellow headlights, a cracked taillight a cracked fog light, the passenger seat belt got chewed from her dog. This car doesn't even have parking lot dings, and everything in the trunk is still in there plastic bags. I put it up on my hoist and all is dry and tight underneath. It even came with new tires bought in Jan 2020.

Only thing I can see is the DS door seal is broken. Now I can retire my wife's 92 accord with 83K.

Chris
Always spending $$$$
67 C10, 65 Mustang, 04 F150, 05 Vibe
Chris
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

That's great Chris. Nothing like finding a car that is bone dry under the hood. I found my Fit that way and it has been a trooper to say the least.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe

Which door seal is broken? I think I have a spare of the foam rubber gasket that fits into a channel around the door opening. If that's the one you need, let me know, I'll go digging and see if I can find it. Here's a pic of a bad one for reference, the one that I think I have isn't worn through
Attachments
gasket2.jpg
gasket2.jpg (64.51 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
cab4word67

Post by cab4word67 »

Thanks Joatmon,
It is infact the drivers side door seal just like you posted only I dont have the penny in mine. :)
Always spending $$$$
67 C10, 65 Mustang, 04 F150, 05 Vibe
Chris
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

Will the 17" wheels shown upthread fit a 2003-GT?
Is there enough clearance?
It would throw my speedometer/odometer off, I know...
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

Here is something that belongs here:

The 2003 GT 2ZZ engine is called the "LNK" by GM.
The un-GT 1ZZ is "LV6"
The 6-Speed is a "C60" and it is not shown in the GM service manual.
Jedman

Post by Jedman »

Hi, I have a 2010 base w/ 2.4 and had it now for about 6 weeks. Mine did not have a owners manual and reading this thread about everything I should know about my Vibe I cannot find where I turn on the rear window defrost ?
I can see the wires in the glass but haven’t fount a switch or button to operate it ?
I live in MI and it is really needed. Thanks, Jedman
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Jedman wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:44 am Hi, I have a 2010 base w/ 2.4 and had it now for about 6 weeks. Mine did not have a owners manual and reading this thread about everything I should know about my Vibe I cannot find where I turn on the rear window defrost ?
I can see the wires in the glass but haven’t fount a switch or button to operate it ?
I live in MI and it is really needed. Thanks, Jedman
You can download a copy of all of the vibe owners manuals using the links in viewtopic.php?t=755

I've never been inside a 2010 Vibe, but looking at the 2010 OM (pages 7-1 - 7-3) it seems as if you toggle the rear window defrost on and off by pushing the fan speed control knob. I assume if you push it and the knob lights up, it's on
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Correct. It is the black button in the middle of your fan speed dial. Just press it and the yellow light will let you know it is operating.
Jedman

Post by Jedman »

Thank You very much ! Jedman
Itonmonkeyz

Post by Itonmonkeyz »

Can anyone tell me if the alternator from a 2009 vibe will work on a 2004 vibe base 1.8l 1ZZ-FE?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Itonmonkeyz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:37 am Can anyone tell me if the alternator from a 2009 vibe will work on a 2004 vibe base 1.8l 1ZZ-FE?

I don't think so. For questions like this, I often go to car-part.com, a network of junkyards, and they use some authoritative source to offer interchangeable results, but when I search for 04 Vibe alternator, I do not get any 09-10's, and for 09 Vibe alternator, I only get 09-10's. They think they are not interchangeable, so I wouldn't risk it.
Ern

Post by Ern »

Where can I find front emblem for 2005 Pontiac Vibe Base model
Angel17

Post by Angel17 »

This is a well-shared and very informative blog. Thank you so much for sharing this. drolet deco ii
Angel17

Post by Angel17 »

Very nice blog. Thanks for sharing this. Drolet Escape 1500-I Wood Insert Trio
Mark

Post by Mark »

lavaman wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:08 pm I've noticed another small detail, our 04 has a threaded screw-in gas cap. My 05 has a twist & click cap, but then when my wife bought her 05, I noticed it has the threaded cap like the 04......early 05 maybe?
My 04 (RIP) and 08 have screw-in caps, while the 05 is twist and click. Not sure why the difference, but I had to replace the 05 caps recently and a guy at NAPA said it was just a supply issue. NUMMI was unable to source the threaded filler tubes for a while and subbed with the twist on instead. As good a guess as any I suppose, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has any info on it.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite