is "universal" coolant okay to use?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
vybr8d

is "universal" coolant okay to use?

Post by vybr8d »

Live in a remote area far from Toyota dealer is it safe to use the "universal" coolant? Or should I drive to the nearest dealer and buy from them?
hvlp

Re: is "universal" coolant okay to use?

Post by hvlp »

I used Peak Global Lifetime Antifreeze, if you read up on it you will see that specification are matching your owners manual.That is what i used and my vehicle is 03 gt.here you can buy it at Walgreens. Check their website out http://www.peakauto.com/antifreeze-peak ... time.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flip-Side

Re: is "universal" coolant okay to use?

Post by Flip-Side »

Other extended life antifreezes tend to be okay, but I lean heavily toward "Toyota SLLC". It is, after all, what our cars are suppose to use and is not prone to deposits. As i have found from the matrix forums, it has molybdenum added in which no other coolant I know of uses. It is also sold on amazon should you be too far from a dealer.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.