2003 vibe gt clutch when starting

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
2003vibeowner

2003 vibe gt clutch when starting

Post by 2003vibeowner »

Hi I bought a 2003 Vibe GT just as a beater to get around town....it is an old car so I don't expect perfection but I notice when I go to start the car I have to push the clutch right to the floor...I mean literally right to the floor or it's a no go. Is this normal for Vibes or is this a sign that a new clutch is needed? I've drove manual cars in the past but have never had to push the clutch so far to start. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
trb

Re: 2003 vibe gt clutch when starting

Post by trb »

Not sure on the Vibes, but I know on Mustangs they have a clutch starter interlock switch attached to the clutch pedal. It has an adjuster on it so you can move when it will engage the starter. If that is the case, it has just moved to the limit of it's adjustment and you should be able to adjust it back some so you can start it with less travel. I'm sure someone with a manual Vibe or wiring diagram can confirm.

If your clutch is going out, it will most likely be slipping. Try stopping the car in 1st gear without disengaging the clutch. If the motor dies pretty quickly, then your clutch should be ok. But if it chugs along and keeps trying to run for a few seconds, then likely the clutch is slipping. My Mustang does that, and one time it was so bad, I could not drive up a driveway incline without a running start! :lol:
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

This is normal, it's a safety feature to make sure you don't start the car in gear and take off right away.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

yea mine is the same . kind of a pain in the (removed) lol
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

There are bypass mods and mods to adjust how far you push the pedal. I went with the mod to adjust pedal distance. Check matrixowners.com for the how to.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

Completely normal on the 2003 Vibe GT and Matrix XRS. The interlock is pretty much at the point of bottoming out.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.