Thinking of buying an 03

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Mentat

Thinking of buying an 03

Post by Mentat »

I've found an 03 Vibe with 102k miles for about $7000. I humbly appeal to you guys' expert wisdom.

Are there any issues to look for? Are there issues with finding parts for these? How's the price? How much use can i expect to get out of it? Anything else I should know?
tpollauf

Re: Thinking of buying an 03

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. What trim level is this Vibe? Base, GT,? Manual or automatic? Sun & Sound package? Seem a bit high on the price BUT if it was from a "salt free" climate and a "one owner" car, and has an auto tranny + sun/sound package ......................... might be worth it :? As far as reliability & parts go, don't worry at all. These cars will go 300k+ if well maintained. Look into this deeper, negotiate a slightly better price, then check back with us here @ GenVibe. I'm no expert BUT we do have some here who own your exact model you're considering :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Thanks for the reply. It's a base with an auto. No packages from what I can tell. Blue paint.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Mentat wrote:Thanks for the reply. It's a base with an auto. No packages from what I can tell. Blue paint.
I had a 2003 base with auto trans and power package (power windows, locks, remote entry, cruise) with 33,000 that I sold 3 years 7 months ago in Jan. 2009 for $9,500.
I recently sold a 2002 Buick Century Limited, leather, loaded with 10,000 miles for $7,500. CarMax offered me $4,500. In my humble opinion $7,000 for a 2003 Vibe base with 100,000+ miles is somewhat over priced.

Other info;
My neighbor has a red 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 dr sedan with 67,000 he has been trying to sell for a month - now down to $5,100.
CarMax has a 2004 Vibe AT Power Pkg 71,000 miles - asking $10,799. Didn't check eBay, Autotrader etc.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

Off the top of my head:

-First, understand that this is a later revision of the 1zzfe engine, which is NOT prone to oil issues. Basically, it is an awesome engine and very reliable. There should be absolutely no oil leaks and very minimal oil burning, if any. This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, even for a first model year. If the oil is low when you check it...walk away.

-Start the car and listen for valve noise. Let it warm up and it should quiet down a little. Loud valves due to wear means someone needs their valves lashed (not cheap) and that the old owner did not do frequent maintenance. A little ticking should be present due to the timing chain and valves.

-Check for shift delay into 2nd gear on the automatic. Assume it will need attention in the future if it is present. MASH the gas pedal on a test drive and check for CEL lights.

-Pay close attention to odd tire wear. Alignments can be a pain on the vibe rear, and supposedly requires shimming. Most shops will only do the front, and tires can look new on the outside edge, bald on the inside edge. You just have to keep rotating the tires on time.

-Check under the hood for a battery over 310 CCA. The stock 2003 model 310 CCA battery and oem replacements are too weak for cold starts. When the car was new, my wife and kids were stranded....twice. Shoehorn a big beastly 450-550 CCA battery in there and enjoy quick starts and solid reliability.

-Look at the fog-lights. Usually they are broken and if so, the connectors corroded. Not a big deal, they really don't do anything for you on the vibe.

-Turn on the A/C. If it does not work, but still has freon pressure, the A/C clutch needs to be replaced. Fairly common, but a few hundred to fix. The a/c switch/module is pricey as well and a possible issue if the a/c does not work.

-Adjust fan speeds. Make sure they all work.

-Check the gas door...really. The 2003 gas cap door brackets tend to fracture and then fall off if not lubed properly.

-The door-lock/window switch panel (clips) break and move around. Not a big deal.

-The door seals will be shifted all over. Check for water leaks. If none are obvious you are fine, they don't leak much. They never stayed put on any vibe/matrix I have seen in the north.

-Use the e-brake. Make sure it grabs or someone roasted the rear drum brakes. Replacement is fairly cheap.

-Check the rear cup-holders, they may be missing since they break easily if they get kicked.

-The oem struts that came on mine were bilsteins...the best. They last a freakishly long time. At 180k mine were still ok. If you hear shuddering, it was likely driven hard down dirt roads.

-Paint falling off the radio buttons is completely normal.

-If the airbag light in the instrument cluster stays on when driven, walk away. The airbag module is pricey to replace if it is bad. Over $600 for my repair.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Canker

Post by Canker »

I paid $2200 for my loaded 03 FWD auto back in January, granted it has 196k miles on it and a few small dents and dings but still $7k sounds crazy. Then again killing time on craigslist in the last few days I've seen an 03 toyota matrix with 100k miles asking $10k LOL and an 04 matrix with 133k miles asking $8k. Maybe I just got a crazy deal but still I don't think I'd pay over $4k for a really nice 03. For $7k there are a lot of cars I would rather have.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
Brandort3

Post by Brandort3 »

Everything that flip-side said was dead on the money when looking at a new '03. There were things that he said that I didn't even know to look for, then I went and looked and listened to everything! Along with everyone else, I also agree that 7k may be a little too high of a price for an '03. I have the '03 GT and when I bought mine it had 127,000 on it and I paid $3800 for mine. Haggle with the guy, see if you can get a better deal on it. Negotiation is half the fun! Best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out!
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

7K is too much for a 9 yr old discontinued make, model and factory car, no matter how nice the Vibe is.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

zyzyix wrote:7K is too much for a 9 yr old discontinued make, model and factory car, no matter how nice the Vibe is.
Yup! IMO, too much $$$!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Cara

Post by Cara »

I just joined the forum, after (finally!) finding and buying a Vibe. I'll give my "how I bought my Vibe" story a little later, but wanted to say THANKS for the thorough pricing and 'things to know' list about 03's.
Cara