Cold Air intake or Short ram?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
natevaz22

Cold Air intake or Short ram?

Post by natevaz22 »

im looking to buy one but idk which one my brother had a CAI on his corola XRS and he said water got in it and flooded it out
thebarber

Re: Cold Air intake or Short ram?

Post by thebarber »

unless you're planning on fording a river, you'll be ok with either...

that said, i run an ebay short ram on my GT and bought a k&n filter for it...

natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

i cant find one for my year and do i need the metal stuff like could i jyst put a k&n on the hose?
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

CAI... 8-)
2004 Vibe 5 speed with factory oem body kit and wings.
Mods: Sound system, 18" Excel MR7 Rims, 225 40 R18 tires ACT 4 puck clutch.

Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

I have a problem with the eBay short rams.

I purchased an eBay short ram and it screwed up my MAF sensor. Due to the positioning of the MAF, it through off the air flow and also caused my car to go into limp mode after a while. The way I found out that the MAF doesn't like to be down there is that my friend and I ended up flipping the intake a bit and noticed that the car started responding better.

Due to this, I will NOT recommend eBay intakes as you will have future problems with them.

Now I have an Injen CAI and it has responded much better than the SRI has. The only problem I had was that the filter got a little squished due to the fog light insert on the bumper. Didn't break the filter or cause problems, just kinda snug. other than that, been working great!

Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

also, my car is an 06. had to get the 02 to 04 injen cai and buy an extra hose for the breather valve recirculation from the valve cover to the intake. I have an oil catch can in between the 2 now though.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

You need to make sure eBay sri's are on the right way....and the diameter isn't for the wrong engine. I had an eBay Sri on my matrix and a new one now on my vibe with NO issues. Ever.
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

true but as you can see, I did have it on at just the right diameter, hence why I posted the picture. Although my car does run on drive by wire, and not the normal throttle cable, this could maybe be a problem with just the 05's and up. still good info to list up though.
vibedrive

Post by vibedrive »

K&N tech people are telling me that there is no CAI for the 2005 1.8 Base model. Is the Short Ram Intake worth the trouble to install? HP improvements?
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

I can not find CAI or SRI for the 2010 vibe gt only older models like 06
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

vibedrive wrote:K&N tech people are telling me that there is no CAI for the 2005 1.8 Base model. Is the Short Ram Intake worth the trouble to install? HP improvements?
they are correct. Their is not a CAI for the 2005 base model 1.8L 1zz-fe. I had to purchase a 2002 to 2004 and just buy an extra hose. easy stuff and works great. definitely felt a difference in the higher rpm range, even though it only redliines at 6500. lol
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

natevaz22 wrote:I can not find CAI or SRI for the 2010 vibe gt only older models like 06
there was a garage thread where someone made their own CAI with some nice parts. umm... can't remember who it was though.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

natevaz22 wrote:I can not find CAI or SRI for the 2010 vibe gt only older models like 06
That's because it is only listed for the 2008+ Scion xB and 2009+ Matrix, no mention of 2009-2010 Vibes. The K&N CAI (it's a CAI according to K&N, but the filter stays in the engine compartment like an SRI) you want is #69-8613TS. Check eBay for cheap prices.

I have had the K&N Typhoon CAI (#69-8613TS) on my 2009 Vibe GT for a little over 3 years and on my mom's 2009 Vibe GT for about 2 years with no issues whatsoever. There are actually quite a few of us 2009-2010 2.4L owners here who have this intake and I haven't heard a single negative thing about it from anyone. Click my signature picture to check out my Garage for pictures of it installed ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

J_TO_ENVY wrote:
That's because it is only listed for the 2008+ Scion xB and 2009+ Matrix, no mention of 2009-2010 Vibes. The K&N CAI (it's a CAI according to K&N, but the filter stays in the engine compartment like an SRI) you want is #69-8613TS. Check eBay for cheap prices.

I have had the K&N Typhoon CAI (#69-8613TS) on my 2009 Vibe GT for a little over 3 years and on my mom's 2009 Vibe GT for about 2 years with no issues whatsoever. There are actually quite a few of us 2009-2010 2.4L owners here who have this intake and I haven't heard a single negative thing about it from anyone. Click my signature picture to check out my Garage for pictures of it installed ;).
So i can buy one for a 2008 and up xB? and for a matrix?
vit

Post by vit »

J_TO_ENVY wrote: I have had the K&N Typhoon CAI (#69-8613TS) on my 2009 Vibe GT for a little over 3 years and on my mom's 2009 Vibe GT for about 2 years with no issues whatsoever. There are actually quite a few of us 2009-2010 2.4L owners here who have this intake and I haven't heard a single negative thing about it from anyone. Click my signature picture to check out my Garage for pictures of it installed ;).
J_TO_ENVY wrote:On my way home from work today the Check Engine, Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control lights all came on again. Until today, I hadn't had any issues like this since last fall. I installed a brand new AEM Brute Force Dryflow air filter earlier this year and even put an AEM Dryflow air filter wrap over it to help keep it cleaner. This evening I took the Vibe over to Auto Zone to get the codes read. The 2 codes that came up were P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) and P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1). This is really starting to frustrate me. I have checked all the connections on the K&N CAI and they're all fine. I have cleaned the MAF sensor a couple times. I really hate to ditch the K&N CAI in favor of the stock setup, but if it keeps me from having to deal with this issue every few months, so be it.

FWIW... the Vibe is now out of warranty and currently has 31,562 miles.

Any ideas on what to check?
Your two posts contradict each other. Many issues of filter oil causing problems have been reported.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

i got short ram because

1. theyre easier to install
2. theyre easier to change/clean the filter
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

http://www.carid.com/2009-toyota-matrix ... 24662.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

hahaha. I manage their phone system. LOL
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Mariachi wrote:
Lol really? I was iffy on wanting to buy from them or not but they look like a good company so when I get the money ill buy one from there
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

natevaz22 wrote:
Mariachi wrote:
Lol really? I was iffy on wanting to buy from them or not but they look like a good company so when I get the money ill buy one from there
yeah. I know some of the IT managers there. I was supposed to get some discounts for my old car club a while ago but the car club fell apart. kinda glad it did. solo has been epic. :P anyways, they are legit.
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

I went with the Injen CAI... While both types flow (and sound) better than the stock boxes, CAI gives the added benefit of cooler air = bit more power. You really can't go wrong with either.

Pat
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

vit wrote:
J_TO_ENVY wrote: I have had the K&N Typhoon CAI (#69-8613TS) on my 2009 Vibe GT for a little over 3 years and on my mom's 2009 Vibe GT for about 2 years with no issues whatsoever. There are actually quite a few of us 2009-2010 2.4L owners here who have this intake and I haven't heard a single negative thing about it from anyone. Click my signature picture to check out my Garage for pictures of it installed ;).
J_TO_ENVY wrote:On my way home from work today the Check Engine, Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control lights all came on again. Until today, I hadn't had any issues like this since last fall. I installed a brand new AEM Brute Force Dryflow air filter earlier this year and even put an AEM Dryflow air filter wrap over it to help keep it cleaner. This evening I took the Vibe over to Auto Zone to get the codes read. The 2 codes that came up were P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) and P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1). This is really starting to frustrate me. I have checked all the connections on the K&N CAI and they're all fine. I have cleaned the MAF sensor a couple times. I really hate to ditch the K&N CAI in favor of the stock setup, but if it keeps me from having to deal with this issue every few months, so be it.

FWIW... the Vibe is now out of warranty and currently has 31,562 miles.

Any ideas on what to check?
Your two posts contradict each other. Many issues of filter oil causing problems have been reported.
Not exactly... I know what was causing the problem and it has since been taken care of. It was not the intake, it was my not tightening down the MAF enough.

As far as over oiling, I would never have this problem because I have an AEM Brute Force Dryflow air filter. I have not seen any posts about 2009-2010 owners with the K&N CAI having issues with over-oiling.
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

K&N Told me none of their products for my 2010 Vibe GT 2.4L
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

natevaz22 wrote:K&N Told me none of their products for my 2010 Vibe GT 2.4L
that doesn't mean you can't mod something for your car. :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

That's because they have not test fitted one of their #69-8613TS intakes on a 2009-2010 2.4L Vibe, so they will not acknowledge that is does indeed fit without issue. I emailed them a while back and told them this intake would also fit 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes. I got some bs answer back about how they haven't test fitted one so they won't advertise it for 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes blah blah blah. As I said before, there are many owners here who have this intake installed on their 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes, including myself. It fits no problem... trust me.
Mariachi wrote:that doesn't mean you can't mod something for your car. :)
With the K&N #69-8613TS intake, there is no need for any sort of modification on a 2009-2010 2.4L Vibe. It is a direct bolt on intake setup.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

J_TO_ENVY wrote:
That's because they have not test fitted one of their #69-8613TS intakes on a 2009-2010 2.4L Vibe, so they will not acknowledge that is does indeed fit without issue. I emailed them a while back and told them this intake would also fit 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes. I got some bs answer back about how they haven't test fitted one so they won't advertise it for 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes blah blah blah. As I said before, there are many owners here who have this intake installed on their 2009-2010 2.4L Vibes, including myself. It fits no problem... trust me.
With the K&N #69-8613TS intake, there is no need for any sort of modification on a 2009-2010 2.4L Vibe. It is a direct bolt on intake setup.
Yup, I believe it was advertised under the Matrix? Same engine, same fit. And plenty of info here on how to put one in.
I had to get my oil changed at one of the big oil change chains when I was on vacation, and they offered a K&N-specific filter cleaning and re-oiling service for me! So I haven't had to clean my own yet. ;)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

ponta2147 wrote:
J_TO_ENVY wrote:
Yup, I believe it was advertised under the Matrix? Same engine, same fit. And plenty of info here on how to put one in.
I had to get my oil changed at one of the big oil change chains when I was on vacation, and they offered a K&N-specific filter cleaning and re-oiling service for me! So I haven't had to clean my own yet. ;)
You're supposed t wash the filter, let it dry fully, re-oil then let that set...I'm not sure how a shop could get that all done uneven a day....sounds sketchy
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

You're supposed t wash the filter, let it dry fully, re-oil then let that set...I'm not sure how a shop could get that all done uneven a day....sounds sketchy[/quote]

Something very similar happened to me one day with my truck. I needed an oil change and went to a Walmart and the guy (while I was in side looking around) took my air filter out and washed it, then I guess just re-oiled it and threw it back in. He also didn't plug the sensor back in. I figured out something was wrong when I got out into a traffic filled parking lot and all my instruments started coming on and the truck quit. Come to find out, my air filter was still dripping wet :evil: They ended up refunding all my money and towing it to the dealer and having the engine checked for any damage.
2004 Vibe 5 speed with factory oem body kit and wings.
Mods: Sound system, 18" Excel MR7 Rims, 225 40 R18 tires ACT 4 puck clutch.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:You're supposed t wash the filter, let it dry fully, re-oil then let that set...I'm not sure how a shop could get that all done uneven a day....sounds sketchy
Wingnut wrote:Something very similar happened to me one day with my truck. I needed an oil change and went to a Walmart and the guy (while I was in side looking around) took my air filter out and washed it, then I guess just re-oiled it and threw it back in. He also didn't plug the sensor back in. I figured out something was wrong when I got out into a traffic filled parking lot and all my instruments started coming on and the truck quit. Come to find out, my air filter was still dripping wet :evil: They ended up refunding all my money and towing it to the dealer and having the engine checked for any damage.
This is exactly why 1.) I have an AEM air filter (no need to worry about re-oiling) and 2.) I am the only one who changes the oil on our Vibes.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

I went with a Bomz Racing SRI....

because it's cheap as hell
and LOUD as hell :o

I love this thing, although I would like to throw a K&N filter on it eventually

Derf

Post by Derf »

Their are a ton of posts on CAI and short ram. Just trying to figure out if it is practical to put one on a Vibe with 185k. Looking at the numbers, most report a bump of 1mpg and a more aggressive sound. With an estimated cost of $210 (ebay) for the K & N kit:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... =69-8601TR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depending on current mileage, ~29 and gas at $3.75, then gas is about $.13 a a mile it would take 1615 accumulated miles to pay for the kit, which would take 47k actual miles.

Currently happy with stock performance, Vibe has a very snappy 4 cylinder. K & N data shows 12 hp boost.... @ 7500 RPM :o I can not imagine the engine lasting long at that speed, but down around 2500 RPM it shows a modest 1.2 hp bump In other words the kit works great when you are pulling high RPM (where the stock air box orifice becomes restrictive) but is minor statistical gain at normal operating RPM. Not much on posts about other gains, other than CAI temperature boost, but those intakes come with a small chance of flooding the filter when driving in heavy rain. If I were to get the K & N kit, should I anticipate any other gains?

On the post above, A Psycho Martyr, I like what what you did with the engine cover and Vibe badges.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

thanks man.
and i don't know if I wrote earlier,
but the Bomz intake cost me like $55 I think.

Got it from their website

It's no K&N, but you could always use a K&N filter on this tube

food for thought
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

After having both a Casmo CAI and now an AFE (aFe) SRI, I have to say, I think I enjoy the SRI more. Better noise! :twisted: As in, louder. Performance-wise, I think I may do something with the best of both worlds, and make some tubing from the grille to the filter (since the 04s don't have the fancy grille by the fog lamp). The CAI I have rubbed the foglamp on the filter, and now I can fit my finger through the filter base.