What's the consensus on Seafoam?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
glhboy

What's the consensus on Seafoam?

Post by glhboy »

So I have 174,000 miles on my 03 Base and I do have some lifter or valve noise. Car runs great, doesn't seem to use or leak oil, no CEL lights, but was reading that running Seafoam in the oil before an oil change and possibly after could help?
trb

Re: What's the consensus on Seafoam?

Post by trb »

All I can say is if you run it in the oil or suck it into the intake system, be sure and change the oil pretty soon afterwards. I blame myself for not changing the oil in time on my Mustang and blowing the engine. I ran Seafoam in it a few times in the past with good results cleaning out the internals, but always changed the oil the same day or next day. Well, in May 2011 I ran it in my Mustang on Sunday, but did not change the oil, and drove it the next few days. On Thursday, apparently the oil intake clogged up from the gunk, lost pressure, and broke the crank. Not a happy camper here!

Just be sure and change the oil pretty soon after you use it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

I can't say I've ever had it done, but one of the likely overlooked maintenance items in the manual is checking your valve clearance. If you haven't done that for 174,000 miles, I'd look into it before trying an additive ;).
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Ok, some basic information......

You've got solid lifters on your car, that means a physical space exists between the lobe on the camshaft #1 and the lifter #10 (bad term but we'll use it) and the lobe. As the engine wears that lobe can wear away or the lifter can wear away thus increase the physical distance. More distance equates to louder tapping noises from the valve train.

Seafoam will do nothing to alter this distance. Check the valve clearance and look for wear on the components.

Now sometimes a valve #3 #4 will stick in the guide hole due to wear or poor service habits thus preventing it from closing properly but if this happens you've got bigger problems that need to be dealt with and seafoam is not going to fix it anyway. The same thing with the #10 lifter, it can stick in its bore.....but rarely does.

The risk of serious engine damage from the cleaning actions of using the product are not worth the possible benefits from using it.

Check the engine mechanically and fix the problems found. There is no magic bullet to fix this problem.

Because of the engine design any repairs, be it a "simple" valve adjustment, stuck valve or worn lifter will require significant time and possibly some expensive parts to repair.......them's the hard facts...... Sorry.....

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

trb wrote: I blame myself for not changing the oil in time on my Mustang and blowing the engine.
Well I can relate to this story .... sort of. Going back 25-30 years when I was into serious auto restoration (did it all... mechanical, body, interior, etc.) I just rebuilt an inline 6 chevy 250cid in my then '74 Firebird. Installed it and started driving it immediately. Ran beautifully. Then I drove it on a road trip down to Dayton Ohio & back (visiting girlfriend at the time) and when I got off I-75 after driving 150 miles or so, I heard this loud knocking form the engine. I knew exactly what happened. My negligence in NOT changing the oil & filter after a rebuild, cost me this engine. The oil filter was plugged to the point that it starved the engine of lubricants. This was summertime, bright sunshine, loud music, windows down, and never paid attention to the idiot gauges on the dash. :x Later that day I removed the engine & opened it up. ALL bearings were shot & had anywhere from .030" to .045" gap on the all the journals :evil: Needless to say I learned yet another valuable, expensive lesson that day.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

My car runs great, I just wanted to hear from folks who have used it and their results. I've not used it before.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

If it runs great....... If it ain't broke, don't go fix'in it!

You might consider having the valve clearance checked if the noise is excessive. They can check for wear at the same time. It will provide peace of mind anyway?

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
ligion

Post by ligion »

I've read and have been told that it could be bad for a high millage car that has never had it done. It's more effective and good for newer cars that get the treatment on a normal basis.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

djkeev wrote:If it runs great....... If it ain't broke, don't go fix'in it!

You might consider having the valve clearance checked if the noise is excessive. They can check for wear at the same time. It will provide peace of mind anyway?

Dave
Can you do this yourself on the 1ZZ-FE? I watched a video on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUFPhIk47Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and it looks like the most exciting thing EVER. I also read http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/14/201lbc04/a040001.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it looks like checking it wouldn't be too hard, but any adjustments necessary look out of my league.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Rodlucci

Post by Rodlucci »

I agree with the others that have discussed valve train noises at 174,000 due to normal wear.

I have seen Seafoam remove build up and deposits in every nook and cranny in an engine. It then flush the abraisive left over through every moving part on an engine with those kind of miles. It will take the non disturbed and churn it up like vinegar and oil salad dressing. Get the idea :lol:

The best purpose for Seafoam I have found is on the intake of my Rotary engine (RX8) as they carbon up by design. The Seafoam flushes the carbon through the engine in the combustion chamber and out the exhasut. Seafoam has its purpose cleaning an engine in the combustion chamber, but dangerous on high mileage engines in the crank case. JMHO!
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

lannvouivre wrote:
djkeev wrote:If it runs great....... If it ain't broke, don't go fix'in it!

Dave
Can you do this yourself on the 1ZZ-FE? I watched a video on it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abUFPhIk47Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and it looks like the most exciting thing EVER. I also read http://madstyle1972.com/Repair/14/201lbc04/a040001.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it looks like checking it wouldn't be too hard, but any adjustments necessary look out of my league.

If you have basic mechanical skills, you can check your valve clearances yourself. You are correct, adjusting them is in a whole other league!

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

I have never used the stuff. A well maintained motor really doesn't need that type of product IMO. But like most products, I am sure other folks may swear by it.

Pat
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

glhboy wrote:My car runs great, I just wanted to hear from folks who have used it and their results. I've not used it before.

I used it in my '86 Trans AM, it seemed to like it, it ran better afterwards, I got a little better throttle response, it didn't bog down, I'd use it again.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT