Help! I have questions on instaling a subwoofer

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
natevaz22

Help! I have questions on instaling a subwoofer

Post by natevaz22 »

Hi i am trying to install my subwoofer from my old car into my new vibe gt i got a few days ago.. i dont really want to put a new head unit in already so if anyone can tell me how to do it with the stock one please let me know also i am thinking of just leaving the stock one on too.. if this helps its a 2010 vibe gt so pleases help!? thanks very much! :D
Wingnut

Re: Help! I have questions on instaling a subwoofer

Post by Wingnut »

I'm a (no longer performing installs) car audio installer. What you need is a "high level input" for a factory head unit. This high level input will mount behind your radio or in your back speakers in line wires. What it does is convert a speaker wire into a RCA input for an amp. It is used on all factory head unit applications where a amp is used for a sub. Any questions, let me know.
2004 Vibe 5 speed with factory oem body kit and wings.
Mods: Sound system, 18" Excel MR7 Rims, 225 40 R18 tires ACT 4 puck clutch.

natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Wingnut wrote:I'm a (no longer performing installs) car audio installer. What you need is a "high level input" for a factory head unit. This high level input will mount behind your radio or in your back speakers in line wires. What it does is convert a speaker wire into a RCA input for an amp. It is used on all factory head unit applications where a amp is used for a sub. Any questions, let me know.
a output converter and can you explain the thing with the speakers a little more? thank you very much
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

You need a "high level output". It's a little box with wires on one side that connect to the speaker wires for the rear and convert the signal to a RCA connection for your amp. Basically just hook both positive wires to the positive side of the rear speakers and the two negative wires to your negative wires on the rear speakers then plug and go. Pretty simple.

natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Wingnut wrote:You need a "high level output". It's a little box with wires on one side that connect to the speaker wires for the rear and convert the signal to a RCA connection for your amp. Basically just hook both positive wires to the positive side of the rear speakers and the two negative wires to your negative wires on the rear speakers then plug and go. Pretty simple.
Thanks for the help so far i was wondering if i had to still run remote wire from the radio or is there a way i can use the remote wire from the stock amp and do the speakers in the back doors have to be used for the output?
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

You still need to run a remote wire. No biggy though. You have to run RCA's anyway for you aftermarket amp. I would put the high level input behind the radio that way you can just tap into the back speakers wires there and not have to tear the doors open( surprisingly the area behind the radio is quite large so it shouldn't be a problem finding room to put the high level input). Run your remote wire off of the switch wire for the factory radio switch. Run your remote with your RCA's back to your amp together. About a 1 1/2 hour job. Note: Run your power wire coming off the battery on the opposite side of the car from your RCA's. If you run them together you will get engine whine over your speakers sometimes.

GSlink86

Post by GSlink86 »

Wingnut wrote:You still need to run a remote wire. No biggy though. You have to run RCA's anyway for you aftermarket amp. I would put the high level input behind the radio that way you can just tap into the back speakers wires there and not have to tear the doors open( surprisingly the area behind the radio is quite large so it shouldn't be a problem finding room to put the high level input). Run your remote wire off of the switch wire for the factory radio switch. Run your remote with your RCA's back to your amp together. About a 1 1/2 hour job. Note: Run your power wire coming off the battery on the opposite side of the car from your RCA's. If you run them together you will get engine whine over your speakers sometimes.
Exactly!!!
natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Wingnut wrote:You still need to run a remote wire. No biggy though. You have to run RCA's anyway for you aftermarket amp. I would put the high level input behind the radio that way you can just tap into the back speakers wires there and not have to tear the doors open( surprisingly the area behind the radio is quite large so it shouldn't be a problem finding room to put the high level input). Run your remote wire off of the switch wire for the factory radio switch. Run your remote with your RCA's back to your amp together. About a 1 1/2 hour job. Note: Run your power wire coming off the battery on the opposite side of the car from your RCA's. If you run them together you will get engine whine over your speakers sometimes.
You just made my life so much easier ! i was told the only way was to open the doors and is there a way you can tell me the colors to the back speakers and to the remote wire and i was also told that i have to ground the converter? is that true? the converter also has a grey wire another grey wire with a black stripe a white one and a white one with a stripe and a brown one and a brown one with a stripe ,, sorry for all the questions!
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Passenger rear door speaker is Dark Blue (+) Light Blue (-) they will be next to each other on the factory harness.
Driver Rear door speaker is Brown(+) Yellow(-) and they will be next to each other as well. It's always the darker color is positive in the rear of any GM vehicle built after 1980 to 2010 and light is positive on the front speakers.

The remote wire to tie into would either be Yellow or pink I think. It's usually the wire next to Orange which is constant 12v. Don't tie into the constant or your amp will never turn off. Best way to tie into these wires would be to strip a little of the coating back with out cutting the wire then wrap the wire around that section and and tape it up with electric tape. Make sure you wrap it all up good as to leave any wire showing. It's not technically the way to do it but it's either that or cut the wire and twist and solder the wires then seal with heat shrink tubing. Good luck!

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

natevaz22 wrote:
You just made my life so much easier ! i was told the only way was to open the doors and is there a way you can tell me the colors to the back speakers and to the remote wire and i was also told that i have to ground the converter? is that true? the converter also has a grey wire another grey wire with a black stripe a white one and a white one with a stripe and a brown one and a brown one with a stripe ,, sorry for all the questions!
You may have to ground it if you get "alternator whine" over the speaker but usually with a sub you won't hear it. If you do ground it to the large ground wire next to Orange or to a piece of sheet metal somewhere. Depending on the high level input the grey wire is (+) the grey with black is (-) The white is (+) the white with a stripe is (-). Make sure you use the Grey (+) to Dark blue(+) on the harness, Grey with black (-) to Light Blue (-) on the harness and so on. Not sure about the brown wire/ brown stripe.

natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Wingnut wrote:
natevaz22 wrote:
You may have to ground it if you get "alternator whine" over the speaker but usually with a sub you won't hear it. If you do ground it to the large ground wire next to Orange or to a piece of sheet metal somewhere. Depending on the high level input the grey wire is (+) the grey with black is (-) The white is (+) the white with a stripe is (-). Make sure you use the Grey (+) to Dark blue(+) on the harness, Grey with black (-) to Light Blue (-) on the harness and so on. Not sure about the brown wire/ brown stripe.
so the grey for example will go to the right side in the bck and the white to the left and tape off the brown? and how about the remote you know what color it is?
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

It doesn't matter what side you wire to what. It's only running a sub you wont here a difference. The only time its sensitive to make sure which is which is if you are running a highs amp. Regarding the remote wire. Not sure. I know it's next to the orange wire. I recall it being either yellow or pink. Do you have a voltage detector? If so just turn the car on and touch the wire. If you shut the car off and the power drops then that is it. I will try and tear into my dash tomorrow to figure out which one it is.

natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Wingnut wrote:It doesn't matter what side you wire to what. It's only running a sub you wont here a difference. The only time its sensitive to make sure which is which is if you are running a highs amp. Regarding the remote wire. Not sure. I know it's next to the orange wire. I recall it being either yellow or pink. Do you have a voltage detector? If so just turn the car on and touch the wire. If you shut the car off and the power drops then that is it. I will try and tear into my dash tomorrow to figure out which one it is.
ok thank u i am going outside inn a little while to try and get through this fire walll and and if i do then i will work on the radio next thanks for all the help so far
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Per our phone conversation today you should be fine. I can't believe pontiac changed from a gm radio and harness to a toyota one that year. Just make sure you get all those wires back together before taking on the next step.

When pulling a wire through the firewall, look for a rubber gr omit somewhere to pull through. NOT THE STEERING COLUMN GR OMIT THOUGH!!! I DID THAT ONCE WHEN I WAS A KID AND NEARLY KILLED MYSELF MAKING A TURN.

natevaz22

Post by natevaz22 »

Wingnut wrote:Per our phone conversation today you should be fine. I can't believe pontiac changed from a gm radio and harness to a toyota one that year. Just make sure you get all those wires back together before taking on the next step.

When pulling a wire through the firewall, look for a rubber gr omit somewhere to pull through. NOT THE STEERING COLUMN GR OMIT THOUGH!!! I DID THAT ONCE WHEN I WAS A KID AND NEARLY KILLED MYSELF MAKING A TURN.
Yeah everything is done and i went to drive it yesterday not thinking and i made a sharp turn with out the sub straped down so it flew and came unplugged but i got it strapped and everything is good and by the way what kind of rims are those on your vibe?
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Congratulations on the new sounds!!! :P Old school wheels my friend... Excel MR-7's 18x7's. Motegi makes a wheel that looks very close called the (coincidentally enough) Motegi MR7's.