Vanity plate rejected!!!???

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Wingnut

Vanity plate rejected!!!???

Post by Wingnut »

Can you believe the state of Illinois turned me down for my vanity plate I wanted it to say "VIBER8". I wanted it because well I have a Vibe and most of the time my system is blaring and my Vibe is vibrating. The states response- "We can not approve your request for the plate VIBER8 because its considered offensive." Really!!?? On what planet is that offensive!? So I called and they said that its to close to another offensive word "vibrator". :lol: I think I'm moving soon..
2004 Vibe 5 speed with factory oem body kit and wings.
Mods: Sound system, 18" Excel MR7 Rims, 225 40 R18 tires ACT 4 puck clutch.

Baltovibe

Re: Vanity plate rejected!!!???

Post by Baltovibe »

It is no better in Maryland. There are over 4000 words/phrases banned.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... rint.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Ask them if you need to debadge your car, since "vibe" is often used as shorthand for "vibrator."
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Not surprising...

Back in 1998 my mom bought a brand new Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan. She wanted personalized/vanity plates for it, so she put FIRED UP as her first choice. Not surprisingly, it wasn't available. Her next choice was FIRD UP 5. This wasn't available either, so the state told her they were giving her FIRD UP 6. She was fine with that until someone from the Secretary of State's office called and left a message saying they couldn't give it to her afterall because people could mistake it for fired up s3x! We laughed a long time about that one. She ended up with FIRD UP 8.

I remember seeing a car that had the Illinois license plate I TOKE 1. How the h**l does that get past the Secretary of State!?!

You should try to see if they will give you RATOR or R8R...

I had J TO ENVY on my former 2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe, but it drew way too much unwanted attention. I have really been enjoying the lack of attention to my random plate (G21 2789) for the past few years now :P. Not to mention it is slightly cheaper when it's time to renew the registration!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

What a joke and in your case ... a shame :oops: I initially tried to get VIBE GT but it was taken. Then I looked up GT VIBE and it was available but ODOT (Ohio Dept of Transportation) told me it "could" be offensive or profain. I argued with them and got nowhere. I initially settled on COR B Q ,then realized I need a plate to show the real me. Thus my avatar ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

What's your avatar name? Corbyn?

vit

Post by vit »

That's silly. My favorite I once saw was "PND SND"
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

My old mini truck I had when I was in high school had a tag that said IH8BMPS. That was my best one I ever had.

jake75

Post by jake75 »

Last week I was staying at Sutton Place just off Rush Street in the Gold Coast area of downtown Chicago. A car (Mercedes I think) had a plate that was just "L". You know that dude had to be important. I have suggested to the two most recent governors of Ohio that they auction off the rights to such vanity plates but neither seemed to have any interest.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Individual letters on a license plate indicates in the state of illinois that there with the government. You probably saw our governor or somebody from the house of representatives or the senate. :shock:

Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Wingnut wrote:My old mini truck I had when I was in high school had a tag that said IH8BMPS. That was my best one I ever had.
I believe it was MSAGRO on here that has the Oregon plate with the fish swimming through rings, pretty cool, will post the link if I can find it. EDIT... you can kind of see it here on the front of the fusion vibe: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31751&p=356298&hil ... ro#p356298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I'm one to shy away from police attention, so I'm going to stay with my random plate. But it's still a cool random plate. 157 CXW. Starts with 1, has an X, and W. My Vibe is a lifesaver for the alphabet game! :mrgreen: Of course, I don't waste soap and clean my plate when I wash my car. Not sure why. I was going to get something like MY VIBE or PBJ TYM, or even KITT222, but I realized that my plate was awesome, so I kept it. Also, money. It's expensive to get a vanity plate in Minnesota. I just hope that Cali will be nice to me when I decide to register my car there. I guess as long as my parent are in Minnesota I can say my permanent residence is MN, avoid smog checks and keep my MN plate for when I finally go to college out west!

I think it's Maryland that go to outlandish extremes with their plates. RATOR could be fine. They probably don't check the car it's going on.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I once had this plate randomly assigned by the state. Probably couldn't get it as a vanity plate now
Attachments
plate.jpg
plate.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 2574 times
trb

Post by trb »

KITT222 wrote: I just hope that Cali will be nice to me when I decide to register my car there. I guess as long as my parent are in Minnesota I can say my permanent residence is MN, avoid smog checks and keep my MN plate for when I finally go to college out west!
As long as you are a college student, you can keep your car licensed and registered back in your home state. And driver's license too since your permanent address is back there. It just means you might need to drive your car back home to get an inspection sticker if your state requires it.

Unless you can qualify for in state tuition after attending school in CA for a year or two after moving there and becoming a resident, I would not change it. We actually thought about that for my son. He was thinking about UCSB and since we have good friends that live there, he could have moved during high school and then maybe qualified for in state tuition.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car