Nasty hail storm !

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Infinity-x

Nasty hail storm !

Post by Infinity-x »

I have to say, this is the first time I have ever been in a hail storm this large. We NEVER get hail this hard in South Carolina. It easily lasted over 10 minutes of nonstop flooding and quarter sized hail. Its funny that all this + wind and rain occurred in 103 degree weather (not Heat index, actual temp!) What really bugs me is I JUST had the front windshield replaced, and now I have to do it all over again because I have 2 "spider" cracks :x one on each corner of the windshield.

Even though the pictures don't do justice, I have counted over 15 dings in the hood, over 20 on the roof, and there are even some on the side panels above the doors. Also, the hail was so bad that people were freaking out and driving on the sidewalks of the grocery store :lol:

Gonna go get it appraised for damage sometime this week.
star_deceiver

Re: Nasty hail storm !

Post by star_deceiver »

Well that sucks!

Some of those hailstones look bigger then a quarter...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

OUCH !!! :( That storm you guys got started in Illinois and QUICKLY swept all the way to the Atlantic coast, in a matter of a few hours. We got it pretty bad here in Ohio (Findlay & Columbus) . If they replace your hood, sell me the dinged up one :roll:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibedrive

Post by vibedrive »

OUCH! And here I've been complaining about our "June Gloom" non-stop cold drizzle we get here in W. Washington (state). Can this body damage be repaired by one of those paintless dent removal shops? The body and fender guy must be happy when he sees hail in the forecast.
trb

Post by trb »

Looks like you need some good PDR repairs. They can do amazing jobs on cars now. Our Exploder was hail damaged before we bought it, and while I never saw the damage, you can not tell at all. The only spot that they did not repair was on the window trim moulding. It has a sizable dent in it so I can only imagine how bad the rest of the truck was.

Good luck getting it repaired.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Oh man, that's upsetting damage to look at! I know what that weird dent on my hood is from now, though...so thanks for posting the damage pics.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
OmniDimensional

Post by OmniDimensional »

That's absolutely brutal. My vibes been in a few hail storms but nothing compared to that one. :(
2003 AWD, black. K&N CAI, 16" Montegi, 15% tint, sunroof, premium audio.
Garage
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:OUCH !!! :( That storm you guys got started in Illinois and QUICKLY swept all the way to the Atlantic coast, in a matter of a few hours. We got it pretty bad here in Ohio (Findlay & Columbus) .
Yep, Chicagoland got nailed late morning/early afternoon Friday, then again Friday night. We didn't get any hail here in Sandwich that I know of, but it was pouring and the wind was blowing like crazy both times. My Vibe was sitting outside at work during the first storm and I was praying it didn't hail. Thankfully it didn't. When the night storm came through, both Vibes were safe in the garage.

It pains me to even look at those pictures Infinity :cry:. I hope you're able to get it repaired quickly and without fuss. Keep us posted.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage