Engine life expectancy

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tcvibe1

Engine life expectancy

Post by tcvibe1 »

My wife and I are considering buying a 2004 vibe with 260,000 miles. The seller is the second owner. The first owner was a medical delivery company that put 200,000 on the vehicle in about 3 years. Overall the vehicle is in good condition. The original automatic transmission was replaced with a used tranny about 25,000 miles ago and has a cumulative 90,000 miles on it. Our main concern is the engine. Can we expect the engine to last much longer? An overhaul or replacement engine must be costly. Thanks! TC
Cougar Vibe

Re: Engine life expectancy

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Well, the 1ZZFE Toyota engine has gone into tens of millions of cars around the world and is not known to be a weak point in Toyota vehicles; the only engine-related issue I'm aware of with regards to Vibes is the engine control module recall, which wouldn't effect your decision (it was '05-08). Furthermore, the 1ZZFE uses a timing chain, so that's one less worry for you.

What would worry me is the fact that the vehicle was used for deliveries. Who knows what sort of maintenance was done during that period, not to mention, the type of driving (stop and go city stuff). It sort of reminds me of all those stripped-down Ford Ranger pickups that you see used as delivery vehicles...as a Ranger owner, I wouldn't touch one of those unless it was free.

All this said, if you did buy that Vibe and ended up needing a new motor down the road, there are many, many of them out there thanks to the success of the Corolla. I've seen re-manufactured 1ZZFE long blocks on Ebay for $1500...and IMO that's excessive. A running salvage yard motor w/corresponding correct mileage should be had for half that, but then installation is up to you.

If you don't mind, what is the sale price on this Vibe?

C_V
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

It is hard to know one way or the other. If taken care of then the engine should last well past that. Since so much depends on maintenance and how hard/gently it was used, can't really say how much longer the engine will last. Mine is at 270K miles, and still runs strong, although I am losing oil. Curious what one might pay for a Vibe with 260K miles on it (as a way of knowing how much/little value is left on mine)
Some have well over 300K miles on their vibes.

You may never need a new engine if you buy the Vibe, but it would be good to see what one would cost, to factor into the decision to buy. You can use http://www.car-parts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to check for engine prices at salvage yards in your area (if you are in the US). Same engine in a matrix, probably corolla also. Use the LV6 engine for the Toyota 1ZZ base engine.
tcvibe1

Post by tcvibe1 »

The seller is asking $4,475 but I'm hoping to get it for around $4200.
dbock03

Post by dbock03 »

I can't speak to engine life expectancy, but I did recently purchase a high mileage 2007 Vibe. I only paid $3,000 for my one owner Vibe with 206,000 miles. Something to think about in your price negotiations.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

joatmon wrote:You can use http://www.car-parts.com to check for engine prices at salvage yards in your area (if you are in the US).
FYI, it's http://www.car-part.com ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Canker

Post by Canker »

I wouldn't pay $4500 for a car with 270k on it. I'd keep looking for something with a lot less miles for that kind of money. At $2k or less it is one thing but not for that much. I just bought my 03 with 200k miles on it for $2200. It still runs and drives fine but I wouldn't have even looked at it for $4k. Even if the engine and trans are fine there is still the a/c system, suspension, steering, cooling system, etc that all have 270k miles on them unless they have been rebuilt/replaced already.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

tcvibe1 wrote:The seller is asking $4,475 but I'm hoping to get it for around $4200.
The car you are describing is, down here in the south, a $1500 to $2000 car, max.

One other issue is the low oil level/dipstick bulletin. If the car has been run at 3.8 qts all its life, I'd be surprised if it hasn't had piston ring issue before now. Possibly it was saved by short hops where it never got too hot.

Charles
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

CharlesinGA wrote:
tcvibe1 wrote:The seller is asking $4,475 but I'm hoping to get it for around $4200.
The car you are describing is, down here in the south, a $1500 to $2000 car, max.

One other issue is the low oil level/dipstick bulletin. If the car has been run at 3.8 qts all its life, I'd be surprised if it hasn't had piston ring issue before now. Possibly it was saved by short hops where it never got too hot.

Charles
CharlesinGA wrote:

Charles
Unfortunately, this car may have been run at the lower oil level like you said. With 200,000 miles in 3 years, there was probably not only city trips, but highway runs as well.
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

tcvibe1 wrote:My wife and I are considering buying a 2004 vibe with 260,000 miles. The seller is the second owner. The first owner was a medical delivery company that put 200,000 on the vehicle in about 3 years. Overall the vehicle is in good condition. The original automatic transmission was replaced with a used tranny about 25,000 miles ago and has a cumulative 90,000 miles on it. Our main concern is the engine. Can we expect the engine to last much longer? An overhaul or replacement engine must be costly. Thanks! TC

It may be best for you to pass on this one, especially with the low oil issue concerns.