New Proud Owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jatzugurl

New Proud Owner

Post by jatzugurl »

Hello there folks. I recently just bought my new to me 03 silver Vibe GT. For me it's a big upgrade considering I've been driving a 97 Mercury Villager minivan since 99. The minivan did its job and did it very well considering I never had any major problems with it. I told my husband that it had to go since our sons are 13 now and growing by leaps and bounds. They needed more leg room and something they consider "worthy" of being seen in. We looked around for quite a few months and I was stuck on the chevy malibu but once I set eyes on the Vibe I knew this was the car for me. I call it "my size" since my 5'1 frame fits in real nice without my chest pressed into the steering wheel. My husband on the other hand is kind of a tight fit in the shoulder area.

I got my vibe from a private sale on craigslist for $4000. The man was nice enough to give me an oil change, wash and detail the inside of the car before I bought it. I've had it for a whole 3 weeks and I'm loving it. My boys are really loving it since it has a sunroof and they consider it "worthy" for their friends to see them in it. It took me a while to get the hang of driving a stick shift again since its been about 14 years, 6 gears instead of 5 which gave me pause when I noticed. Having the reverse next to first gear was a little challenge at first for the husband but once he noticed the beeping noise when it was in reverse he seemed ok with it.

It takes about 40 dollars to fill up the tank from empty which I LOVE. It gets 24 miles to the gallon in the city, and 31 on the highway. I just have to becareful on the highway. When I first drove the car home I was driving down I-40 and I noticed I was passing a lot of cars and quickly. I normally drive 5 miles over the speed limit and thats it. I looked down and I was going about 88 in a 60. I just might end up with my first speeding ticket EVER with this vibe if I'm not careful. :lol:
Kincaid

Re: New Proud Owner

Post by Kincaid »

Welcome to the site! Congrats on the purchase - that seems like a very good price!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! Remember to fill it with 91.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
acvw74

Post by acvw74 »

Hello and Welcome!
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! The Vibe really is a great all around car for a small family, especially one with kids approaching, or in driving age. I notice you said "sons are 13 now", I assume twins? My twin boys are 11 and they are already arguing who will get my 10 GT, although one really wants a UT orange one, not red. :D I'll probably be looking for an orange one in a few years for him.

Good luck with it. If you have any questions, these guys and ladies on here are a wealth of info and good advice.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

My boys are really loving it since it has a sunroof and they consider it "worthy" for their friends to see them in it.
I'd have gone the Uncle Buck route :lol:
http://youtu.be/lPqPDdiiJIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Welcome to the forum :D
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! It definitely sounds like you are in love with your Vibe :D! Post some pictures of it when you get a chance.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

Hi and welcome.
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

acvw74 wrote:Hello and Welcome!
acvw74 wrote:Hello and Welcome!

That's what I say :)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jatzugurl wrote: I recently just bought my new to me 03 silver Vibe GT. It took me a while to get the hang of driving a stick shift again since its been about 14 years, 6 gears instead of 5
Gotta love those manual transmissions :D Welcome to this great site. I think you already discovered how much fun driving the Vibe can be. This is all yours baby ..... keep the hubby and kids away. They can occasionally be your passengers. Enjoy, post pics soon, and visit often ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"