howdy

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SecretAsianMan

howdy

Post by SecretAsianMan »

There's a 99% chance I will be a proud owner of a Vibe in 10 hours...I am generally a Japnese/European Tuner kinda guy...actually everything about this car goes against what I normally buy...American and front wheel drive but I love the idea of a 4 cylinder 6 speed.

I am a very capable back yard mechanic and an avid DIY...look forward to contributing to this community...
jkm311

Re: howdy

Post by jkm311 »

Welcome, but... You *do* realize the Vibe's engine offerings are Toyota from top to tails, right? Heck, the car is 90% Toyota. They've been supercharged (ask BlueCrush), turbocharged (ask KeithVibe) and everything in-between. You'll have fun here. Welcome again. ;)
Steelies to the rescue.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

There's a man who lives a life of danger. To every one he meets, he stays a stranger

Welcome to genvibe, and thanks for stop being a stranger. Vibe's have been pretty good at keeping people alive, so if you get one, it might help with that "life of danger" stuff.

great username Image

Now only 5 hours ... any updates?
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

Hi and welcome.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

joatmon wrote:There's a man who lives a life of danger. To every one he meets, he stays a stranger

great username Image
x2! Took the words right out of my mouth!

Welcome to GenVibe! Can't wait to hear whether you got the Vibe or not. If you did, you better be posting some pictures quick!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

It's official like a referee with a whistle...I've already put 180 miles on it...(i'm an express courier)
trb

Post by trb »

Congrats! The car will be great for your job. We have a courier that our company uses and he's had his Matrix for a good 6+ years that he bought new. I remember when he got it, and even though it is missing the hubcaps, it still looks decent. I need to ask and see how many miles they have on it now.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

SecretAsianMan wrote:It's official like a referee with a whistle...I've already put 180 miles on it...(i'm an express courier)
Sweet! Now post some pictures ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

J_TO_ENVY wrote: Sweet! Now post some pictures ;)!

Yes ......... we need pics.

Oh, by the way ....................................... WELCOME :P
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jazzvibe

Post by jazzvibe »

From one newcomer to another, nice to meet you. If you can get out of the car long enough, give us some info on your Vibe. How did you decide on this car? How are you liking it? I, too, love your handle.
My Recently Deceased Vibe
Murdered By A Dodge Charger 11-23-16!
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

jazzvibe wrote:From one newcomer to another, nice to meet you. If you can get out of the car long enough, give us some info on your Vibe. How did you decide on this car? How are you liking it? I, too, love your handle.
I bought this car for work not play and I really had my heart set out on a 92-98 civic hatchback but no good deals were available...I then decided to look for a 5 door hatchback...

I usually go Toyota but the Mazda 3 hatch back was my first choice because it performed very well but the Matrix was much much more practical and offered, better milage at a 1.8 liter engine vs a 2.0 + liter engines, more space and overall toyota design and reliability...Ultimately I went with the Vibe because it's basically a rebadged Toyota Matrix and it had a 6 speed....in fact it was made in the same factory as my Tacoma.

I have a very performance oriented preference when it comes to cars...As a 24 year old (kid) would much rather feel very bump in the road then a soft cushy ride while tearing through turns with no body roll...but I did buy this car to be practical...

I find the first 5 gears extreemely close making (economical) street driving a little tedious but the 6th really makes 168hp an economical car for highway commuting...but the gearing does let you get up and go when you're in a rush

At the moment (103.xxx miles) I hate the suspension at higher speeds definitely not as nimble and agile as the mazda 3 but I will comment more when I find a nice suspension set up I like

I have a sneaking suspicious that the vibe has a drive by wire throttle system...I would much rather have a throttle cable

I loove all the little compartments that are EVERYWHERE...last night I found the one under the shifter

the glass hatch was also really nice for the many times I need to get back there

The braking is very adequate even for my taste haven't been in an ABS situation but I'm sure it will perform just fine

I'm pretty much indifferent about everything else but if you had any specific questions I would be more then happy to chime in but overall, (so far) I like the car OK
Newbkakes

Post by Newbkakes »

Welcome! I'm a newb member myself... but these things can deff become tuners.
Garage:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=38736
I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

SecretAsianMan wrote:
jazzvibe wrote:From one newcomer to another, nice to meet you. If you can get out of the car long enough, give us some info on your Vibe. How did you decide on this car? How are you liking it? I, too, love your handle.
I bought this car for work not play and I really had my heart set out on a 92-98 civic hatchback but no good deals were available...I then decided to look for a 5 door hatchback...

I usually go Toyota but the Mazda 3 hatch back was my first choice because it performed very well but the Matrix was much much more practical and offered, better milage at a 1.8 liter engine vs a 2.0 + liter engines, more space and overall toyota design and reliability...Ultimately I went with the Vibe because it's basically a rebadged Toyota Matrix and it had a 6 speed....in fact it was made in the same factory as my Tacoma.

I have a very performance oriented preference when it comes to cars...As a 24 year old (kid) would much rather feel very bump in the road then a soft cushy ride while tearing through turns with no body roll...but I did buy this car to be practical...

I find the first 5 gears extreemely close making (economical) street driving a little tedious but the 6th really makes 168hp an economical car for highway commuting...but the gearing does let you get up and go when you're in a rush

At the moment (103.xxx miles) I hate the suspension at higher speeds definitely not as nimble and agile as the mazda 3 but I will comment more when I find a nice suspension set up I like

I have a sneaking suspicious that the vibe has a drive by wire throttle system...I would much rather have a throttle cable

I loove all the little compartments that are EVERYWHERE...last night I found the one under the shifter

the glass hatch was also really nice for the many times I need to get back there

The braking is very adequate even for my taste haven't been in an ABS situation but I'm sure it will perform just fine

I'm pretty much indifferent about everything else but if you had any specific questions I would be more then happy to chime in but overall, (so far) I like the car OK

You're correct you have DBW
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

Welcome to GenVibe.

fyi -- the vibe is a rebadged Toyota Voltz. The only thing GM about it is the badges.
Greg - Gekko
2003 Pontiac Vibe base 1zz-fe auto
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

zyzyix wrote:
You're correct you have DBW

It actually depends on the year. 03-04 had cable throttles. 05-06 had DBW.

Welcome welcome welcome!! Keep us up to date on your Vibe-based escapades.