4-speed or 5-speed automatic

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
nagihcim1

4-speed or 5-speed automatic

Post by nagihcim1 »

Quick question. How can I tell if a 2009 is a 4-speed or a 5-speed? Thanks
trb

Re: 4-speed or 5-speed automatic

Post by trb »

1.8L have 4 speeds, while the 2.4L have 5 speeds, except for the AWD cars I believe.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Vibe Trivia for $200. You are right - I have the Vibe Brochure from 2009. I forgot that the 2.4L had a 5 speed AT instead of the 4 speed on the 1.8L. (AWD excepted).
I wonder if the 5 speed would have significantly helped the mpg on the 1.8L.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Another way to tell is by looking at the shifter console - the 4 speed autos go "P - R - N - D - 3 - 2 -1" (is equipped on the 1.8l & 2.4L AWD models) and the 5 speed auto is "P - R - N - D -> S +/-" (is equipped on the 2.4 base and GT models, has the "Sport mode" with the "S" and + & - symbols, called VSC or Vehicle Shift Control (basically tip/manual shifting whatever fancy name you want to give it))
nagihcim1

Post by nagihcim1 »

Well... the shifter goes "P / R / N / 3-D / 2 / L and the paperworks says 2.4L FWD. The top of the engine says Dual VVT-i
trb

Post by trb »

nagihcim1 wrote:Well... the shifter goes "P / R / N / 3-D / 2 / L and the paperworks says 2.4L FWD. The top of the engine says Dual VVT-i
That sounds like a 1.8L, not a 2.4L. The seller does not know what they had. Found these pics by me of a 1.8L

Also if the wheel covers are these, it is a 1.8L for sure since they had different bolt patterns than the 2.4L and the wheels will not interchange.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
nagihcim1

Post by nagihcim1 »

Looks like a 1.8L 4 speed then. I got it from a dealership and the previous owner had left maintenance receipts in vehicle. All of the receipts (from the original dealership) indicated it was a 2.4L. No worries, a bit better gas mileage I guess.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

nagihcim1 wrote:Looks like a 1.8L 4 speed then. I got it from a dealership and the previous owner had left maintenance receipts in vehicle. All of the receipts (from the original dealership) indicated it was a 2.4L. No worries, a bit better gas mileage I guess.
Wow! What a bunch of geniuses :shock:!

Welcome to GenVibe! Give us some more info on your 2009 1.8L Vibe i.e. color, future mods planned, etc..
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

I know there was some type of error between the VIN and the service computer when I took my 2010 1.8 auto in for it's first service. They insisted it was a 2.4. I made them come out and check the VIN and look at the engine. It still came up with it being a 2.4 on the receipts. It is kind of important since both engines take different amounts of oil and totally different types of oil filters (spin on for 2.4, cartridge for 1.8), among other things! I pointed it out to them again, and by the next service they had it figured out right in the computer and receipts. If you take it to a different dealership for service, they probably would get it wrong too, until the tech comes back to the service manager with a broken hacksaw, sledgehammer, and a prybar asking for help in getting that darn oil filter to fit!
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I never paid much attention to the details at the top of the Service Invoices other than the mileage in/out. By the time I needed my first oil change the Pontiac dealer changed to Chevrolet and the Pontiac franchise went to a nearby Buick dealer - something GM arranged. The Buick dealer offered a free LOF to introduce themselves which or course I used, I see that the Buick Dealer Service Invoice says I have a 2.4L. After that I went back to the selling dealer (now Chevrolet) and I see that their Service Invoices also say 2.4L. I suspect this error is in some GM database that they both draw on.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
nagihcim1

Post by nagihcim1 »

I don't have much planned in the way of mods. Is there a navigation system that fits nicely in place of the stock radio? Any proven mods to increase gas mileage?
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

jake75 wrote:.... I suspect this error is in some GM database that they both draw on.
Yes, you are correct, it is the GM service database to the best of my knowledge.

Another interesting mistake GM made concerning the 09-10 1.8 engine is that they listed on the VIN cards registered with the Federal government that it has a SIDI (spark ignition, direct injection) engine, when it is really only an SFI (sequential fuel injection) engine. After having a discussion with Old Tele Man, he contacted GM. After a few days and enlisting several people in offices around the world, GM came back and verified our suspicions and are supposed to change the VIN's and re-register it. Some of the confusion on GM's part might be that Toyota uses the terminology of TDI (Toyota direct ignition....not to be confused with anything from VW) referring to their version of coil over plug ignition setup. Gotta love it!
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

10vibe wrote:I know there was some type of error between the VIN and the service computer when I took my 2010 1.8 auto in for it's first service. They insisted it was a 2.4. I made them come out and check the VIN and look at the engine. It still came up with it being a 2.4 on the receipts. It is kind of important since both engines take different amounts of oil and totally different types of oil filters (spin on for 2.4, cartridge for 1.8), among other things! I pointed it out to them again, and by the next service they had it figured out right in the computer and receipts. If you take it to a different dealership for service, they probably would get it wrong too, until the tech comes back to the service manager with a broken hacksaw, sledgehammer, and a prybar asking for help in getting that darn oil filter to fit!
jake75 wrote:I never paid much attention to the details at the top of the Service Invoices other than the mileage in/out. By the time I needed my first oil change the Pontiac dealer changed to Chevrolet and the Pontiac franchise went to a nearby Buick dealer - something GM arranged. The Buick dealer offered a free LOF to introduce themselves which or course I used, I see that the Buick Dealer Service Invoice says I have a 2.4L. After that I went back to the selling dealer (now Chevrolet) and I see that their Service Invoices also say 2.4L. I suspect this error is in some GM database that they both draw on.
One more reason I'm glad I do all our oil changes, tire rotations, etc. Way to go GM :roll:!
nagihcim1 wrote:I don't have much planned in the way of mods. Is there a navigation system that fits nicely in place of the stock radio? Any proven mods to increase gas mileage?

I have no clue on the navigation as I'm not a car audio/electronics guru, but I can answer the gas mileage question. An intake, whether it be a CAI (cold air intake) or SRI (short ram intake), can produce an extra couple miles per gallon. My mom and I both have K&N Typhoon CAIs installed on our 2009 Vibe GTs and we have both seen a steady 1-2 mpg increase. The trick is to drive conservatively. An intake will make the sound of your engine more noticeable which tends to cause people to want to step on the gas to hear the cool new sound of their engine. Needless to say, doing this makes gas mileage go down instead of up. If you drive conservatively and keep your RPMs under 3000 when accelerating, you will see an increase in gas mileage. Also, another important thing is to keep you tires properly inflated and keep up to date on any maintenance i.e. oil change, clean and/or replace air filter, etc.

FYI, K&N does make an intake that will fit the 2009-2010 Vibe 1.8L ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The reason I am always skeptical that anything remotely easy and inexpensive will boost mpg is that if it were easy and cheap one would think the auto manufacturer would have done it as a higher mpg is a huge marketing plus.