40 Something new owner 1st impressions and questions

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Torino

40 Something new owner 1st impressions and questions

Post by Torino »

Bought a 2003 base model today. I read that it was made with 20 somethings in mind but being a 40 something I really like it. It looks good especially for a 4 door, rides and handles well, has good power for a car that gets such good gas mileage, has plenty of room. I even like the Neptune color even though I am not a big fan of blue. My wife and I really like it so I guess we are young at heart. Has 94,000 and got it for $4700. If it is reliable I think it will be a great car very pleased so far.

It seems to have the power option but we did not get a keyless entry remote. Beside having all the features of the power option is there away to tell if it had keyless entry? I read where you can get a remote sometimes on ebay. How do you go about getting them to work for you specific car? Do you have to get one from a Vibe only?

How can you tell it you have any kind of alarm?

One problem the car has is with the AC blower on high is sounds like a loud clock ticking behind the glove compartment. Anyone know what this could be?
jkm311

Re: 40 Something new owner 1st impressions and questions

Post by jkm311 »

First off, welcome. Second of all, here are two articles addressing what is your actuator from your HVAC system knocking. Does the sound stop when you switch to recirc air?
Then, the actuator is probably the issue.

This first thread is more for reading purposes, but it says you have to remove the dash. Not so, but it's informative, nonetheless, with the new actuator part number:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23692

Water boy did a new post with tools that allow you to keep the dash intact, just the glovebox is removed:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=38246

Hope this helps. It seems anybody with a 2003-2004 Vibe deals with this issue. Kind of a rite of passage. :roll:
Steelies to the rescue.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

I think all Vibes that have power windows and locks have keyless entry. You might take your VIN to the dealer to verify

You can buy a remote on ebay HOWEVER you need to make sure the FCC ID on the back of the transmitter is the following FCC ID:GQ43VT14T or else it will not work

You can get ether the one for the 2003-2008 Vibe or one from a 2003-2008 Toyota Matrix.(they are the same car)

Here is how to program the remotes yourself
http://www.programyourremote.com/classi ... sp?id=1379

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
locked, drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Cheers
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome :D Even if you were 50 something the Vibe is right for you :lol: Also the programming of a new remote key works great. I purchased a spare for $70 roughly, had a locksmith friend of mine cut it, then programmed and it works great! Post pics of your ride and visit often ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome from another 40 something! We bought our 06 Vibe for my son, and I liked driving it so much while he's at college, I ended up getting one for myself last year.

As for the keyless entry, I'm not 100% sure, but I too think the power package cars all had the remotes. Try the programming procedures above and if at step 5, the locks automatically cycle, then you can program a couple of remotes to the car when you get some. I had to try a couple of times on mine before the programming mode worked on my car. You can get the remotes on ebay pretty cheap. I've seen them for less than $10 before.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Where in the world did you find an 03 with that few miles on it? :?:

that's awesome. Mine's an 03 and i'm around 127k miles.

I alsi had the actuator go out on mine, easy fix if you wanna do it yourself
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

One problem the car has is with the AC blower on high is sounds like a loud clock ticking behind the glove compartment. Anyone know what this could be?
What everyone else said - the actuator. Just remembered I had it replaced on my '06 last year. When I had the blower on recirculate the noise disappeared. Took it off recirculate and it appeared. So, I just left it on and forgot about it for a few months until I got it fixed :lol:
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
Torino

Post by Torino »

Thanks for the welcome and all the info. I did notice today that when I had it on recirculate it did quite. I think I can problably fix it myself. That is what is great about forums like this. You can get a lot of great info that ends up saving you a pile of money.

I found this car by accident. I did not know what a Vibe was until Saturday when my wife ask me to check out this car. I did some research and decided it was worth looking at. We really liked it. I was impressed that Toyota was involved. I really don't like getting the first year of any car but decided since the first owner had it 8 years it must have been pretty reliable.

It is getting harder and harder to find a car with less than 100,000. For younger people that does not matter but for someone my age 100,000 miles use to be a lot. If a car is well maintained I have found out the age of a car has more to do with things breaking than miles in a lot of cases. You deal with plastic parts getting old and brittle and things like that. I would rather have a 5 year old car with 180000 mile that a car 15 years old with 80000.

I noticed another problem with the car. I went to put windshield washer fluid in and it just ran out of the reservoir. Is there a good place online to get new parts? I have read some on this form that Toyota seems cheaper that Pontiac. Do you have to take the tire and wheel well to access the reservoir?
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

Hi and welcome. Pontiac really was not a bad make at all. They made some pretty good products and were trying to rebound when GM had to pull the plug. I think that their joint venture with Toyota was much better than when Toyota worked with Chevrolet. Enjoy your Vibe and I hope it serves you well for years to come. Just out of curiosity, how do you like the all red gauge cluster?
Torino

Post by Torino »

I am old school so I love the old GTOs. One of my friends had a 66 convertible GTO in high school, red, boy what a beautiful car. I could have bought a 69 GTO Judge for 2800 dollars in 1984 but I thought that was two much. I turned down a lot of cars in that time period I wish I hadn't. My brother has a Solstice and it is a beautiful car.

I love the all red cluster. I think the cluster looks sporty too. It also looks like many from the late 60's much like the 69-70 mustangs and the 69-69 Camaro along with some others. I also had a '79 280zx and the cluster looks alot like the Vibe just more updated.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well I'm 50ish have a Trix that has a SC and lowered. No it's not my old 71 Cutlass SS but the SS didn't get over 30mpg either. Enjoy!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Torino wrote: I noticed another problem with the car. I went to put windshield washer fluid in and it just ran out of the reservoir. Is there a good place online to get new parts
Look around the reservoir to see if you can tell where it's coming out. It may just be a loose or disconnected rubber line. If it's the tank itself, you can either check ebay for used ones or get a replacement from Toyota.

Appears the best way to access it is a combination of wheel/fender area and from underneath. You'd have to remove the passenger side splash shield and fender liner.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! It sounds like you got a great deal on a great Vibe! Post some pictures of it when you get a chance!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
acvw74

Post by acvw74 »

I agree with your philosophy:

Torino wrote: If a car is well maintained I have found out the age of a car has more to do with things breaking than miles in a lot of cases. You deal with plastic parts getting old and brittle and things like that. I would rather have a 5 year old car with 180000 mile that a car 15 years old with 80000.
Welcome...sounds like you got a good deal on vehicle that is getting harder to find.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Torino wrote: If a car is well maintained I have found out the age of a car has more to do with things breaking than miles in a lot of cases. You deal with plastic parts getting old and brittle and things like that. I would rather have a 5 year old car with 180000 mile that a car 15 years old with 80000.

I can certainly attest to this. Just last month, when I went to move my 1992 F-150, which has been outdoors since bought new over 20 years ago and has 47k original miles on it, I went to switch fuel tanks to see how much was in there. Well the modest pressure applied to the switch CRACKED a clip on the back side and the entire cluster is now behind the dash somewhere :x I'll have to remove the entire front dash piece in order to access this and repair it. This is clearly a result of UV damage and plastic fatigue :roll:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

tpollauf wrote:

I can certainly attest to this. Just last month, when I went to move my 1992 F-150, which has been outdoors since bought new over 20 years ago and has 47k original miles on it, I went to switch fuel tanks to see how much was in there. Well the modest pressure applied to the switch CRACKED a clip on the back side and the entire cluster is now behind the dash somewhere :x I'll have to remove the entire front dash piece in order to access this and repair it. This is clearly a result of UV damage and plastic fatigue :roll:

and a sign that Ford Tough does not seem to apply to any of the interior parts :(
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Torino wrote:
I noticed another problem with the car. I went to put windshield washer fluid in and it just ran out of the reservoir. Is there a good place online to get new parts? I have read some on this form that Toyota seems cheaper that Pontiac. Do you have to take the tire and wheel well to access the reservoir?

First of all check to see if one of the washer pumps(should be 2(one for the rear wipers and one for the front) are not lose and caising the fluid to seep out of the hole they are attached to
Well 99% of the time you are correct in regards to Toyota parts being cheaper then Pontiac parts BUT in the case of the reservoir, the cost at GM is cheaper then Toyota

Pontiac
http://www.partswebsite.com/autopartspe ... type=parts

Toyota
http://www.partswebsite.com/autopartspe ... ecallout=9

By the way autopartspeople.com is a great site to get parts. This is actually a chain of dealerships in Washington State. I have bought from them many times and are always impressed with them

But it seems that you might do a lot better going used
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome :D Even if you were 50 something the Vibe is right for you :lol:
That's true!

Welcome to the family.

Enjoy the ride!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Welcome! I too am usually cautions about buying a car model the first year of production or after a major model change. Having been around from the building of the pre-production Vibes in '01 to the last one built in '09, I can attest that there were some issues along the way, especially the first months of '02 (production of '03 models commenced in January '02), but nothing that would concern me about buying one. Problems weren't limited to the Vibes, there were plenty of issues with the Corollas as well. I actually own an '03 Vibe that I picked up at an auction a couple of years ago. Its getting close to 200k on it now and its still running strong.
Torino

Post by Torino »

Got the wiper tank out. There is a hole in it as big as my head. Was not to hard except there is a bolt on top that you can not see. I knew something was still holding it and felt around and found it. Going to try and find a used one. Do you know if the tank is the same as in the Corolla?
trb

Post by trb »

Torino wrote:Got the wiper tank out. There is a hole in it as big as my head. Was not to hard except there is a bolt on top that you can not see. I knew something was still holding it and felt around and found it. Going to try and find a used one. Do you know if the tank is the same as in the Corolla?
I just looked on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they only list Vibes as a cross reference. The Corolla may not work due to the Vibe and Matrix having rear wipers/washers. Are there two outlets on the reservoir for the two pumps?
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
Torino

Post by Torino »

There are 2 outlets.
Torino

Post by Torino »

Got a key-less entry remote off of eBay. Got it programmed. It works on every thing but the hatch. Thanks Journeyforce for the instructions. Cost me about 9 dollars total. Just think what it would have cost without the internet and this site. Probably would have had to buy a new one from the dealer and get them to program it. This site and others like it have saved me a bundle.
trb

Post by trb »

Well, that's great to hear! So the hatch glass button on the dash works, but the remote does not? Strange.

And I figured that the reservoir had two outlets. Should be able to find a good used one on ebay or car-part if you don't want to buy a new one. Just find someplace selling parts from a Vibe on ebay and send them an email on it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Did you hold the hatch button down for 2-3 seconds? Only the rear glass is unlocked with the remote and after you unlock it you have to pull the glass up.(it is not like one of cars where you hit unlock and the trunk opens up all the way) The lights will not flash or light for the unlocking of the hatch

Here is some instructions from Genvibe post of the past
viewtopic.php?t=1103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KEY FOB These only work when teh key is NOT in the ignition.
Press UNLOCK once = unlocks drivers door only (lights flash twice)
Press UNLOCK twice = unlocks all doors and rear hatch door but not the hatch glass (lights flash twice)
Press and hold HATCH for about 2-3 seconds = pops hatch glass (no lights flash)
Press LOCK = locks all doors and rear hatch door but not the glass (lights flash once) This only works if all doors are hatch glass are closed

DOOR SWITCH
Press UNLOCK = unlocks all doors and rear hatch door but not rear hatch glass (no lights flash)
Press LOCK = locks all doors and rear hatch door but not rear hatch glass (no lights flash) This only works if the key is NOT in the ignition. Pressing LOCK on the door switch with the key in the ignition will UNLOCK all doors.

MISCELLANEOUS
Press the HATCH button on the dash = pops hatch glass (no lights flash)
Insert key in rear hatch and turn counter-clockwise unlocks the hatch door
Insert key in rear hatch and turn clockwise to position one locks the hatch door only
Insert key in rear hatch and turn clockwise past position 1 to position 2 unlocks the hatch glass
The only way to lock the hatch glass is to close it by hand.

Also for cars with power locks:
Insert key in driver door and turn once unlocks driver door only, turn key a second time and it unlocks all doors and the rear hatch door (not the glass).
Insert key in passenger door and turn once unlocks all doors and the rear hatch door (not the glass).
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Or if you don't care about the back wiper having the ability to have washers on the rear then just get one for a corolla