Eco Modding, any tips?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
colterk

Eco Modding, any tips?

Post by colterk »

Anyone know about eco modding or how to 'eco-mod' our cars. What can I do to help MPG? What're your thoughts? http://ecomodder.com/
Link to my 'garage' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87
star_deceiver

Re: Eco Modding, any tips? (colterk)

Post by star_deceiver »

Teach yourself to drive more conservativly. Let's face it, you can do a lot to the car to give it the potential to achieve better fuel efficiency but if you can't contol your right foot then you're still going to get only so-so mileage.Take mine for example. My last tank was 31.3mpg 70/30 highway. If I drove carefully and with due control of the throttle I can easily get 36+... but I don't usually...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Grille blocks. I have one in my upper grille (behind the plastic) and one for the lower which I use in the winter. I used to have an air dam, too. Now I want to get a belly pan under there.
vibenvy

Re: Eco Modding, any tips? (KITT222)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Teach yourself to drive more conservativly. Let's face it, you can do a lot to the car to give it the potential to achieve better fuel efficiency but if you can't contol your right foot then you're still going to get only so-so mileage.Take mine for example. My last tank was 31.3mpg 70/30 highway. If I drove carefully and with due control of the throttle I can easily get 36+... but I don't usually...x2When accelerating, try to keep your RPMs under 2500. Make sure your tires are properly inflated.Keep up with maintenance i.e. oil changes, air filter, etc.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

ScanGauge. Get lots of coroplast. Make yourself those grille blocks and a belly pan.. Daox had a build thread (you can see his thread on ecomodder too.) Should give you an idea of things that you can try.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28781
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
colterk

Post by colterk »

What is it about grille blocks that helps the mpg? Is it simply wind resistance? I'm a noob with this stuff, sorry.
Led Powered Since '87
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Think of the grille like big holes in your bumper. That's actually essentially what they are. Now think about what is behind them: the engine and firewall. Two big flat walls. Air just smashes into them, pushing the car back. Grille blocks keep air from entering the engine compartment which could cause more air resistance.
colterk

Post by colterk »

Can that mess with the engine overheating? Or is that a fallacy?
Led Powered Since '87
Serj22

Post by Serj22 »

At my work we used 4x8 panels of coroplast to cover a fence for construction. We still have about 20 of them that are getting thrown away. If anyone was nearby that wanted some in the bay area, CA, I may be able to "salvage" some of them. No promises. Don't know if they could really be shipped to WA, you'd be better off buying them.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by colterk »Can that mess with the engine overheating? Or is that a fallacy? Fallacy. The engine fan would go on before that, but if only the upper grille is blocked you should be okay. If the fan starts to activate just slowly cut it away to perfect. Quote, originally posted by Serj22 »At my work we used 4x8 panels of coroplast to cover a fence for construction. We still have about 20 of them that are getting thrown away. If anyone was nearby that wanted some in the bay area, CA, I may be able to "salvage" some of them. No promises. Don't know if they could really be shipped to WA, you'd be better off buying them.I think it might be possible to actually mail coroplast without any packaging. I'm not sure, but it's worth asking...
colterk

Re: (Serj22)

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by Serj22 »At my work we used 4x8 panels of coroplast to cover a fence for construction. We still have about 20 of them that are getting thrown away. If anyone was nearby that wanted some in the bay area, CA, I may be able to "salvage" some of them. No promises. Don't know if they could really be shipped to WA, you'd be better off buying them.If you could get some to WA that would be very cool. Let me know.As long as it doesn't affect engine performance in a negative way I am down for trying new things and adding to my projects list.
Led Powered Since '87
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by colterk »Can that mess with the engine overheating? Or is that a fallacy? if you do not, block the lower grill and have a underbody pan you should be okay. If you start doing the underbody pan you will want to fence or box off the lower opening so air only goes on the radiator. Otherwise under high ambient temps and high engine temps you will be trying to over heat. This is the same for racing. Lots of people put cardboard over wheel fender parts, swoop the back end out etc. But a lot is the way you drive, I agree.
Serj22

Re: Eco Modding, any tips? (northvibe)

Post by Serj22 »

Oh and also there will be about 200 more available come summertime. Again, I'll see what is allowed to be taken. As for mailing, currently in the process of finding out how and if it is possible, and I'll let everyone know.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
colterk

Re: Eco Modding, any tips? (Serj22)

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by Serj22 »Oh and also there will be about 200 more available come summertime. Again, I'll see what is allowed to be taken. As for mailing, currently in the process of finding out how and if it is possible, and I'll let everyone know.That would be awesome, please keep us updated. Thanks.
Led Powered Since '87
Serj22

Post by Serj22 »

Ok, so they said I could have it since we're trying to clean up all the maintenance areas where I work to make the place look better. They stored them somewhere and now I just have to find em. Shouldn't be too hard. I have a friend whos wife works as a manager for a UPS store and she said it would be possible to ship as-is. So I'll work out some kinda reasonable price. I just got to find them now.
colterk

Post by colterk »

A Psycho Martyr wrote:not this More pics here

Yea that is horrendous looking. I'm sorry.
Led Powered Since '87