For those looking for wheel locks for steel wheels, here is some info

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
journeyforce

For those looking for wheel locks for steel wheels, here is some info

Post by journeyforce »

So I went to Carmax Toyota to buy a set of wheel locks for my Scion XB and my Vibe. I have steel rims on both the cars but I work in a rough area and want my wheels to still be on my car when I leave. (even though they are steel wheel, I am not taking chances)Apparently the only time Toyota gave a damn for steel wheel owners that wanted to protect their wheels was from 2001-2003 when they offered wheel locks for steel wheelsThere are two types of locks:Part #00276-00940 is for the wheels with a hubcap on it (they are opened faced)Part #00276-00941 is for exposed lugs (they are shiny chrome)I got the ones for the wheels with a full hubcapSo if you were looking for these lug locks but were told they did not exist for your car then look no further.Carmax Toyota's based in Laurel MD has a parts department that is excellent and I have always been impressed with them(they knew without being told the Vibe was a Matrix)
vibenvy

Re: For those looking for wheel locks for steel wheels, here is some info (journeyforce)

Post by vibenvy »

Thanks for the info ! So, would either type of lock work with the OEM Pontiac wheel covers and steel wheels?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Yes both will work. The only thing that will run up against if you have a set of those base Vibe hubcaps(those ones with the 5 plastic caps that screw onto the lugs) you are only going to be able to screw the hubcap down to 4 of the 5 lugnuts due to the lock not having outside threads.Also for those with both alloy rims for spring and summer and fall and the steel rims for the winter who are wishing to get locks. Remember you can use wheel locks for alloy rims on steel wheels BUT you can NOT use steel wheel locks on Alloy wheels. It will gauge and eat into the alloy. So for those switching rims for the seasons, just get a set of locks for the alloy rims and use them over the winter with the steelies
vibenvy

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by journeyforce »Yes both will work. The only thing that will run up against if you have a set of those base Vibe hubcaps(those ones with the 5 plastic caps that screw onto the lugs) you are only going to be able to screw the hubcap down to 4 of the 5 lugnuts due to the lock not having outside threads.That's what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation !
Baltovibe

Re: For those looking for wheel locks for steel wheels, here is some info (journeyforce)

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by journeyforce »Yes both will work. The only thing that will run up against if you have a set of those base Vibe hubcaps(those ones with the 5 plastic caps that screw onto the lugs) you are only going to be able to screw the hubcap down to 4 of the 5 lugnuts due to the lock not having outside threads.By not having the hubcap screw into the locking lug nut, will the hubcap become twisted, not flat?
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Nope. The hubcap sits flat and no rattle. The hubcap is happy enough secured by 4 lugnuts
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I am thinking I may pick up two sets of these for our Vibes. I'm not too worried about theft, but then again you never know.Out of curiousity, how much did they cost you?
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

They normally run $40.00 before tax(in MD it is 6%) however I got them from Carmax Toyota for $38.00 each plus taxHowever you can get the locks from these folkshttp://toyotapartspeople.toyot...76357I have bought several things from them over the past 3 years and I just got a set of all weather mats for the XB last week from them. It seems to be a group of west coast dealership parts depts selling the stuffThey can be trusted
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by journeyforce »They normally run $40.00 before tax(in MD it is 6%) however I got them from Carmax Toyota for $38.00 each plus taxHowever you can get the locks from these folkshttp://toyotapartspeople.toyot...76357I have bought several things from them over the past 3 years and I just got a set of all weather mats for the XB last week from them. It seems to be a group of west coast dealership parts depts selling the stuffThey can be trustedThanks for the info !