My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
colterk

My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base

Post by colterk »

After a few months of car searching I came across a Vibe at a local dealer. Fell in love with it but they were asking way too much, $10K for an 04 with 110,000 miles on it yet I knew I had to have one. A month later I found it! It took a 200$ train ride and a 500 mile drive back in a blizzard to get it, that was a long *** day, but worth it. Got an 08 base model, automatic with 51,000 miles on it with sunroof for 7900$. Needless to say I am stoked, it hasn't even been a week yet and already I'm looking at new parts and mods to bring the beauty of this thing to life. Any tips or suggestions let me know. Cheers.

Attached files
Link to my 'garage' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87
BlueCrush

Re: My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base (colterk)

Post by BlueCrush »

Welcome to Genvibe! I was almost afraid to open this post....lol. Nice job on waiting for the right deal! Much better than the first one.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE the Salsa montones. Congrats and yes for sure, welcome!!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
colterk

Re: My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base (BlueCrush)

Post by colterk »

Thank you both very much. Patience really is a virtue sometimes. I'm also relieved I didn't fall into a dead forum, which has happened before.
Led Powered Since '87
trb

Re: My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base (06pvibe)

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »BEAUTIFUL!!! I LOVE the Salsa montones. Congrats and yes for sure, welcome!! Ditto! Welcome! I was also looking for a nice Salsa before I found my 10 GT. Missed out on a nice 2007 one in Dallas, 49K miles, manual trans for under $8K by an hour.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
colterk

Post by colterk »

Why is my O/D automatically engaged every time I start the car. I find it weird that I have to turn it off every time and there is a light to indicate it is "off" but not "on" as it is in my T-Bird. Should I just keep manually disengaging it or should I just drive with it on? I do mostly city driving, one little stretch at 50mph. Overdrive ON or OFF? General concensus is to just leave it on unless mountain/incline driving, would y'all agree?
Led Powered Since '87
trb

Post by trb »

Most everyone keeps it on. I would only disengage it if I were driving in hills or towing something. Better gas mileage with it on anyways.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

WELCOME!! I love the salsa color it' GORGEOUS! Looks like you found a good deal... I too missed out on THE ONE, it was everything my car is now, but it was GT and had the NAV... but the timing wasn't right. Being a believer that everything happens for a reason I just kept searching, and found the automotive love of my life, LOL! Also, my OD is always on, and my button is to shut it off. I just drive with it on, but I don't use the cruise when I'm on hilly roads.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
colterk

Re: My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base (CAMOGIRL)

Post by colterk »

Definitely will just leave it on unless cruising the beautiful Washington mountain passes. Also a believer in things happening for a reason, everything lined up just right for this car to happen for me. Meant to be.Thank you all for the help.
Led Powered Since '87
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

So pretty!! Congratulations on that one. Make sure you hold on to her. :D
My lovely Gambit.
zaxellord

Post by zaxellord »

Welcome. Congrats on your purchase. That is a really nice Vibe
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

Congrats!Is that a sunroof? I'm soooo jealous!
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
ligion

Post by ligion »

WELCOME!
colterk

Post by colterk »

Again, thank you all. I am very excited about it. Got all kinds of plans for the future. Mostly aesthetic, but plans nonetheless.Cythraul, good eye sniper, it is a sunroof.
Led Powered Since '87
jkm311

Re: (colterk)

Post by jkm311 »

Funny story: My wife and I had just signed on the dotted line for our Abyss. They handed us the keys and we started driving away, around the backside of the dealer to leave, and there was what *had* to be a LOADED '07 Salsa monotone. My wife exclaimed: "Wait! What about *that* one?" Too late, my dear. One note about a mod for you, Colter. I LOVE gunmetal painted rims against the Salsa paint. Even black rims. Being from WA, maybe convert your current steel rims to winter tire use? Many of us here are big believers in running a 2-set rim package.Welcome!
Steelies to the rescue.
colterk

Re: (jkm311)

Post by colterk »

Wheels are definitely my next thing. Although I must admit I am very new to the whole mod world of cars. How would I do that conversion, the steelies to winter use? What are steelies as well? I'm assuming its the metal encasing piece behind the "rims"?
Led Powered Since '87
trb

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by colterk »Wheels are definitely my next thing. Although I must admit I am very new to the whole mod world of cars. How would I do that conversion, the steelies to winter use? What are steelies as well? I'm assuming its the metal encasing piece behind the "rims"?Your car has the base bolt on plastic hub caps. You remove them by unbolting the 5 plastic lug nuts. The wheels behind them that the tires are mounted to are sometimes referred to as "steelies" since they are the basic steel wheels cars all used to have. Now most cars have aluminum alloy wheels of some sort, except for the very basic cars.You can pick out any aftermarket wheels that will fit and outfit them with some nice summer rubber for most of the year. Then take your stock wheels and put some snow or winter tires on them if you need or want to. That way you won't damage your nice wheels during the winter and changing to winter tires is as easy as swapping the wheels over.I'm glad we don't need to bother with that down here!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibenvy

Re: (trb)

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! That's a very nice looking Vibe you've got there !What are your plans for it?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
colterk

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by trb »Your car has the base bolt on plastic hub caps. You remove them by unbolting the 5 plastic lug nuts. The wheels behind them that the tires are mounted to are sometimes referred to as "steelies" since they are the basic steel wheels cars all used to have. Now most cars have aluminum alloy wheels of some sort, except for the very basic cars.I'm glad we don't need to bother with that down here!Thank you for that. Pretty much what I expected but I admit I am an auto-noob so better to ask and make sure. I'm from AZ so I definitely know what you mean.Is it possible to take the piece out behind the hubcap? The brown piece behind the cap... sorry I am really bad at this

Attached files
Led Powered Since '87
colterk

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Welcome to GenVibe! What are your plans for it?Thank you. Plans as of now:Tomorrow I am installing chrome grille trim, and doing a custom dashmat installation. Money permitting and time I am looking into a cold air intake mod, rear under window spoiler, magnaflow catback, sunroof and side window deflectors, wheel upgrade (i would say tires as well but it has brand new toyo tires), in dash stereo upgrade, Alpine cda-125 with 1 or 2 10 inch kicker subs, haven't decided if I'm doing both, hopefully a genvibe.com decal as well and ram hood.Some will take faster precedent over others, mostly money related but those are over all hopes, dreams and plans. All in time I hope. I'm wondering and opinions please, folks, if it would look great or tacky to do white accessories i.e; white spolier, ram hood, wheels, defelctors, things of that nature or should i keep the body parts mono-toned? the hood honestly would be one of the last mods i touch, so it would be deflectors, spoiler and then wheels?
Led Powered Since '87
colterk

Post by colterk »

Or possibly just do a black spoiler?
Led Powered Since '87
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
DeClerq

Post by DeClerq »

Quote, originally posted by colterk »Is it possible to take the piece out behind the hubcap? The brown piece behind the cap... sorry I am really bad at thisThat brown piece you are referring too is just the steel wheel that has acquired a coating of rust. You could always clean it up and repaint it black.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
trb

Re: (DeClerq)

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by DeClerq »That brown piece you are referring too is just the steel wheel that has acquired a coating of rust. You could always clean it up and repaint it black. Ditto. Or just get new wheels to totally replace them. But cleaning and sanding and painting the steel wheels would run about $10 and a couple of hours of time, so that is a lot cheaper.As for body mods, on a Salsa, I would keep it monotone, or maybe black accessories, but not white. That would look cheap IMO, like you couldn't afford to paint it correctly.I've seen some spoilers and body parts available already painted Salsa online. I'll look for them again. That would be the way to go if you want body kit parts.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by colterk »Thank you. Plans as of now:Tomorrow I am installing chrome grille trim, and doing a custom dashmat installation. Money permitting and time I am looking into a cold air intake mod, rear under window spoiler, magnaflow catback, sunroof and side window deflectors, wheel upgrade (i would say tires as well but it has brand new toyo tires), in dash stereo upgrade, Alpine cda-125 with 1 or 2 10 inch kicker subs, haven't decided if I'm doing both, hopefully a genvibe.com decal as well and ram hood.Some will take faster precedent over others, mostly money related but those are over all hopes, dreams and plans. All in time I hope. I'm wondering and opinions please, folks, if it would look great or tacky to do white accessories i.e; white spolier, ram hood, wheels, defelctors, things of that nature or should i keep the body parts mono-toned? the hood honestly would be one of the last mods i touch, so it would be deflectors, spoiler and then wheels? That's a good mod list you've got going there !As for GenVibe decals, here ya go .
pushead

Post by pushead »

Congrats and way to score a deal. I had to do almost the same thing just over a month ago to get mine. Got off work at 4PM on a thursday drove 4 1/2 to chance a unseen in any way by me 03 vibe with 51,000 miles. To make it harder I had to drive straight home after buying it to make sure I got my kid to school and me to work. It was worth it though, well all accept having to drive on I4 through Orlando. No one should ever have to do that.
colterk

Re: (pushead)

Post by colterk »

Quote, originally posted by pushead »Congrats and way to score a deal. I had to do almost the same thing just over a month ago to get mine. Got off work at 4PM on a thursday drove 4 1/2 to chance a unseen in any way by me 03 vibe with 51,000 miles. .Same ordeal, we had never seen the one we got either, luckily the guy selling was super cool and helpful. More than glad we did it though. Amazing car and deal. Saw one listed in my area (local) and it was almost 15k. Congrats on yours as well.
Led Powered Since '87
colterk

Post by colterk »

Update: Wheels have been ordered!!! So excited, they should be in the store on Tuesday. Hopefully have them on by next week. Also got a custom dashmat in, although it seems too small, instructions do say to let it sit and 'relax' for up to 2 days in 65 degree weather. It's been 45 consistently and cloudy. Going to install chrome grill as well when it warms up. Pictures to come soon. No worries.
Led Powered Since '87
colterk

Post by colterk »

wheels mounted and chrome inserts on
Led Powered Since '87
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The wheels and chrome inserts look nice !
oriden

Re: My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base

Post by oriden »

sexy :O

i have the 2005 version of yours, can you point me a link to those rims? :ugeek:
colterk

Re: My Vibe Virginity Has Been Taken- 08 Vibe Base

Post by colterk »

oriden wrote:sexy :O

i have the 2005 version of yours, can you point me a link to those rims? :ugeek:
Sorry this has taken me so long. I've been working quite a bit. And when I'm not, I am either hiking or working on the car. Been doing alot as of late. But here you are.

http://www.konigwheels.com/Konig-Home/K ... els/SWURVE

Also a link to mock garage. Until I can actually make a legitimate one. Figured I'd just use this post and the one with mods listed and semi-fuse them. Been doing a bit of work, thought I'd post this so anyone who hasn't seen or would like to keep up can. In the past week I've done calipers painted, avs vent visors, stereo install, wrapped steering wheel and more. See the full list here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38548
Led Powered Since '87