Maybe a new Vibe owner? Should I??

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bls8433

Maybe a new Vibe owner? Should I??

Post by bls8433 »

I have been looking for a versatile, economic vehicle for commuting and trips up North. The Vibe has caught my attention. I found a 2003 with less than 60k miles. Automatic w/ AWD. My only concern is what I read about the AWD being a dog. Is that rumor true??? I could use this forum's experience and opinion. This is for my wife and an automatic by necessity due to a neck trauma issue. Will I be disappointed in this one? Pricing is right.Let me know your opinions!!!Thank you.
KITT222

Re: Maybe a new Vibe owner? Should I?? (bls8433)

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to Genvibe! I window show Vibes on Craigslist all the time, and I think I know which one you're talking about. IMO, it's one of the best deals locally right now. Power for the AWD is less than the base, by 5-10hp (not sure why. It'd be smarter to increase the power). With that few less hp comes greater weight as well. I've driven my friends 03 AWD, and it is slower on pickup, but unless you've driven the base you wouldn't notice it. There are a few mods you can do to help increase your power, though. A fellow Genviber from Minnesota might be selling his aftermarket intake which can bring power up. For maintenance, just keep in mind that you have a rear differential, and the fluid NEEDS to be changed or you'll ruin it. Other than that they're just as reliable as the average base Vibe.Any more questions, feel free to ask!EDIT: if the one you're looking at is the Vibe with 261k, I'd try to look at the other ones out there. That Vibe has 38,000 before the odometer locks up at 299,999. That doesn't mean it won't go beyond, but it means you'd need to use a tripometer as the odometer, and it also means its had 261,000 miles of life already, and nobody knows how much longer the engine has. The engine could always be replaced too, but if you're willing to expand you budget, this Vibe is a great deal too:http://minneapolis.craigslist.....html
bls8433

Re: Maybe a new Vibe owner? Should I?? (KITT222)

Post by bls8433 »

KITT222,Thank you for the reply. I have seen the one with the very high mileage. Too many things to wear out for me to consider.The AWD would be nice here during Minnesota winters but I would rather have the performance and extra mileage....if I had a choice.If I bite on this one, I will have to look on the forum for any simple mods to bring up the performance.
BlueCrush

Re: Maybe a new Vibe owner? Should I?? (bls8433)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by bls8433 »KITT222,The AWD would be nice here during Minnesota winters but I would rather have the performance and extra mileage....if I had a choice.If I bite on this one, I will have to look on the forum for any simple mods to bring up the performance.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24144
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
DeClerq

Re: Maybe a new Vibe owner? Should I?? (KITT222)

Post by DeClerq »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Power for the AWD is less than the base, by 5-10hp (not sure why. It'd be smarter to increase the power).I believe I read the hp is less due to how the exhaust is routed vs. a FWD model.Welcome genvibe btw, and good luck with your search. Sorry I can't comment on your question since I've never driven an AWD Vibe.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I had my fwd vibe in Duluth with snow tires and didn't have an issue. I think if you go with a FWD just get snow tires and you'll be set. TC is not as hilly as duluth so you don't have too much to worry about. But awd with snow tires is pretty awesome, have them on my 4x4 escape
bls8433

Re: (northvibe)

Post by bls8433 »

Thank you all for the input. I will be looking directly at the 2005 tomorrow to look for issues with the repair. I am leaning that way per your opinions.