Check your spare!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jimincalif

Check your spare!

Post by jimincalif »

Helped my son preflight his Vibe before a road trip. Checked the spare, pressure was just 25 psi - supposed to be 60. Would not have worked well if it was needed. I don't know when the spare was last checked.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
chadhgraves

Re: Check your spare! (jimincalif)

Post by chadhgraves »

Good point!
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Ran into exactly the same thing a few months back when the wife had a flat. Enough to get home on... slowly, but checking the spare is now part of the regiment.The funny thing is that it "feels" hard even with so little air in it. They should install nitrogen in these from the factory. It would be less likely to bleed off over time, and keep it from internal rot.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
ligion

Post by ligion »

BUMP, I actually had the same thing a week ago! I checked my spare and it had 19psi!!!
KNINE

Re: (ligion)

Post by KNINE »

I keep a mini air compressor in my car. Good thing too, because I've used my spare twice and it needed air both times.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Haven't checked the spares in our cars since last year... Need to do that!I do have an air compressor / jump starter thingy that could save me but it's usually not in the car since it's so bulky. Sometimes goes with me on trips though, cargo space permitting.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

I have a $24 compact air compressor I got from Target. It is stored in the compartment on the right side of the spare and fits nice under the floor
chadhgraves

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by chadhgraves »

I got a jump start battery pack that has an air compressor built into it a couple christmas ago. I've only needed it a couple times, but I wouldn't go anywhere without it. It's saved me from being stranded a few times and for that, it's worth it's weight in gold. It's also easier to give someone a jump, which I've done about the same amount of times that I've personally needed it. It's fairly cheap for peace of mind.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by jimincalif »Checked the spareSpare ???? What's that You just had to know that somebody was going to make that remark. I don't even know what mine looks like as I've never had the compartment where is it stored opened up. Better do it soon before I end up needing it. When I damaged my tire/rim last fall, I knew it was destroyed so instead of changing out the flat at the time, I drove it home as is .... 13 miles !!!!!!Thanks for this important reminder & safety tip
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Canker

Post by Canker »

I was on the way home from an autox event in the miata and ran over some road debris and my spare was flat. I was lucky I take an air tank with me to events and also lucky that several other autoxers saw me and stopped with another air tank to top my spare tire off.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
vibenvy

Re: Check your spare! (Canker)

Post by vibenvy »

I check our spares every time I check the other tires. Our spares have never gotten below about 58 PSI.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: Check your spare! (tpollauf)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »Spare ???? What's that Unfortunately, following the recent trends in automotive genius from the manufacturers, that is a valid question is asked quite frequently! A spare is now a luxury, usually you get a can of goo and a compressor. That will work spendidly for a sidewall puncture. They say it's for weight savings and fuel economy, but it's probably more so the accountants can pad their bottom line.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image