Broken Timing Chain - how big of a deal?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
aimeefosz

Broken Timing Chain - how big of a deal?

Post by aimeefosz »

My timing chain is broken and I am wondering if I can drive it until I can get it into the shop (2 days) or if I shouldnt? I drive to work 50 miles a day...
Canker

Re: Broken Timing Chain - how big of a deal? (aimeefosz)

Post by Canker »

If your car is running the timing chain isn't broken
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
aimeefosz

Re: Broken Timing Chain - how big of a deal? (Canker)

Post by aimeefosz »

weird - the guy at the shop said it was.... and that the crazy noise was it banging against the engine.....its 1500 to get fixed so im deciding whether its worth it on a car that has 187k on it.....
KNINE

Re: Broken Timing Chain - how big of a deal? (aimeefosz)

Post by KNINE »

I would get a second opinion, but I wouldn't drive it far until you figure out what it is. Without hearinig it in person, it's hard to say what it might be.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
chassan

Post by chassan »

Like canker said. If the timing chain is broken your car doesn't run. If your car is running the chain is not broken. If that be the case, I would strongly urge you to find another shop.
KNINE

Re: (chassan)

Post by KNINE »

Yea, I'd like to see a car that runs with a broken timing chain. Oh, welcome to genvibe.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.