I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

most of my complaints with my '10 are related to poor build quality. the boys at NUMMI did me no favors.when it comes to design issues, i can live with the mediocre rear visibility. you don't even need to sit in the driver's seat to see that the car is anything but panoramic. the one that kills me is the placement of the rear view mirror. i've never been in another car whose mirror seems to always be in the wrong spot. if i'm approaching a 4 way stop at the same time as another car from the right, there's a 50/50 chance that i won't see it at all unless i move my head so that i can see around my mirror.the cheapo stock tires and lack of a 5th gear are my other major issues. for what i paid, can't complain too much.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
enfield577

Re: (Zimm)

Post by enfield577 »

The blind spots to the rear do bother me ... I just try not to park where I will have to back up from between any behemoths on either side. If I do, I just back out slow and pray.I don't have any issues with the rearview mirrors (5' 10", seat all the way down, about halfway between front to rear). But those A-pillars certainly do give big blind spots!I'm scared of curbing my 18-in wheels as well ... the previous owner curbed a couple, and yes, I did curb one myself once - I HAD to get up on a 4-inch curb, and it marked the wheel (not bad - I wasn't going fast or far). Many streets in Germany are narrower than in the States, and intersection curves are tighter, and I'm always craning my neck to make sure I'm not going to hit the curb in the right front.I honestly have not noticed bad road or wind noise, and neither has my wife (but we're not used to really silent luxury cars). The rough ride doesn't bother me - I have gotten used to it - for me, the better handling is an improvement.Having read on GenVibe about all the radio knob issues, I never touch the knobs (use only steering wheel controls), so I haven't had that problem.I was lucky - the first recall didn't change the feel of my accelerator pedal at all (mine was never touchy). I never had the second recall done. I *DO* wish this car had heated rearview mirrors! (And yes, I know I could put a kit in.) Would I buy this car again? Yep!
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
lannvouivre

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (ParknVibe)

Post by lannvouivre »

I have a 2006 Vibe, but I have noticed some of these problems.Stiff hard ride: my mom and dad have cars with a smoother ride. I test drove a 2011 Lancer Sportback and the new Mazda3 with Skyactiv technology, and both had smoother rides (not so sure about the Mazda since it is possible that our neighboring town has smoother roads). I also test drove a Honda Fit, but it was just as stiff as the Vibe.Door edge too high to reach out of window with arm: As a very short person (ALMOST 5' tall!), I have trouble reaching out the window as well. I usually have to roll down the window and then also open the door to comfortably reach out of it...Other issues I've had:The A-pillar hiding entire approaching 18-wheelersNot as much legroom under the steering wheel as I'd like (I have short legs so I have to move up a lot for a snug grip on both pedals)I'm not tall enough for the headrest Other than that, I really love this car. Driving is the best ever when I get to take the Vibe, and nothing I've driven has been anything like it.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
enfield577

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (lannvouivre)

Post by enfield577 »

I forgot ... my Number One pet peeve. (Besides the lack of heated rearview mirrors, but I knew this when I bought the car)WHY do the overhead map lights not turn off automatically, after a given time period??? I have run the battery down twice because of this (forgetting to turn the light off manually).Are all Toyotas like this? I can't recall that I've ever owned another car that did not turn these lights off automatically, if you didn't turn them off manually within, say, 10-15 minutes. To me, it's just a no-brainer to have these lights go off automatically.
vibenvy

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (enfield577)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »WHY do the overhead map lights not turn off automatically, after a given time period??? I have run the battery down twice because of this (forgetting to turn the light off manually).Are all Toyotas like this? I can't recall that I've ever owned another car that did not turn these lights off automatically, if you didn't turn them off manually within, say, 10-15 minutes. To me, it's just a no-brainer to have these lights go off automatically.All three of the interior lights in both our Vibes are set to "DOOR" so they come on and off on their own. We've accidentally turned one of the reading lamps in the front on manually and forgot to turn it off for quite some time and it's never drained the battery .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
enfield577

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by enfield577 »

Those pesky reading lamps will likely drain the battery, if you leave the car sitting all weekend with one of them turned on (which is what I did ... twice). This is another area where the Owner's Manual is WRONG. It says the interior lights have "battery run-down protection," and one naturally assumes this includes the reading lamps (the book SAYS "any interior lamp"!), but it doesn't. At least, not on an '09 GT with sunroof.Well, at least not on MY car. Do I have a failure in the lamp system, maybe? Or do others' '09s-10s with sunroof do this same thing? (Switch in DOOR, but a reading lamp turned on manually will just stay on until turned off, or until the battery runs down)
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

Don't believe anything the owner's manual says. A politician must have written it because it is full of lies.
http://
trb

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »Don't believe anything the owner's manual says. A politician must have written it because it is full of lies.LOL! For the 09 & 10 it was Government Motors back then, so that is very likely!The map lights on my son's 06 did drain the battery once, and now we know not to leave them on. Heck even our 95 Villager minivan had the auto shut off feature on the lights. I guess that was one more way to save $1 on the cost of these cars.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car