AWD vs. FWD

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
lemay.08

AWD vs. FWD

Post by lemay.08 »

I know that there were some post on this topic, but I need some 'second' opinion... In my previous post, I've mentioned that I had some trouble getting up a slope. Still have the same problem now... So I was thinking about trading in my Vibe 08 FWD for a Vibe 05 AWD. Is it a wise choice..? I've read on many posts that there were some weakness and repairs made on the rear differential that cost $2,000-$3,000... What should I do? Keep my FWD or should I get a AWD...?
1989 - Toyota MR2 - TwinCam 16 - Red
2004 - Mazda3 GT Sport - 2.3L - Red
2008 - Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L - Grey
2008 - Honda CR-V EX - 2.4L - Red
sideshowalan

Re: AWD vs. FWD (lemay.08)

Post by sideshowalan »

Since you already have snow tires per your previous post, the only things you can do are add weight or go AWD.The main downsides to AWD are a decrease in HP if that's important to you and in MPG. Best thing you can do to avoid rear differential failure is to keep up on the gear oil changes. There is a front and rear diff on the AWD and each needs the fluid changed out regularly.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Depends on the mileage and value of the 05. Personally I would look for an AWD that had proven maintenance records. You don't want to be buying someones worn out basket case.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Couldn't locate your previous post.What's the issue with the hill? Steep? Curvy? both? Post a photo of the hill if you can just for curiosities sake.Also were you snows studded? I lived for a decade at the bottom of a steep hill (my private "stupid" driveway) in Pennsylvania, I ran studded snows on FWD only autos. NEVER did I fail to get out of my driveway unless I hadn't plowed and we had a recent 18" snow fall or something similar. Studded snows are the BEST!!! (NOTE: all four wheels is a MUST HAVE with studs)Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
zaxellord

Post by zaxellord »

Is this only a problem in the winter?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The main "weakness" of the AWD/4WD Vibe/Matrix is leaky seals in the rear diff. The owner doesn't notice it and or mechanic does know it's a AWD/4WD. The fluid leaks out and the damage is done. I had to argue with a tech one time about checking the Transfer case and rear diff fluid. He insisted that there wasn't one and I made a bet with him on a free oil change. I won and he checked the fluid and found it was seeping. I took it to someone else to get it fixed.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
lemay.08

Re: AWD vs. FWD (sideshowalan)

Post by lemay.08 »

Should I add weight to the front of the car or its rear?I don't intent to race with my Vibe. But I want it to be powerful enough to overtake whenever there's a turtle in front of me
lemay.08

Re: AWD vs. FWD (djkeev)

Post by lemay.08 »

Here's my previous post: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=45862Its a curvy steep slope. Its hard for me to take a picture of it... Its surrounded by woods... All I know is that my stepdad doesn't have any problem getting up the slope with his Impreza and I didn't had any problem when I had my Mazda3. My wife's grandfather doesn't also have any problem getting his car up the slope even though his car is a Toyota Corolla 2000... Let just say that I'm a little embarrassed with my Vibe... haha
lemay.08

Re: (zaxellord)

Post by lemay.08 »

It happens only during winter. During the summer, the Vibe can get ok over the slope but you can feel it 'force' his way up.
lemay.08

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by lemay.08 »

How often should I change that oil?It seems that the AWD has more maintenance to do than the FWD... What I like about the FWD is that it doesn't need much repair. From what you've told me, I'm still on a dilemma on whether I should get an AWD...
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

IF a Toyota Corolla is pulling the slope, there is not a reason in the world that your VIBE won't make the same slope. You are aware that the VIBE is indeed a Toyota Corolla with different skin?By and large, it is more difficult to successfully drive an automatic in the snow than it is a stick shift. In your previous post you ask if it is lacking power? Truth be told, it's got too much power and sadly with an automatic that power is tough to control in an automatic.Spinning wheels in snow is your mortal enemy! It does nothing but make a car that can't go in snow......... go less. You dig a hole, you heat up the snow and polish the area under the spinning wheel into really slick glare ice which provides just about ZERO traction.In a stick shift, in snow, you want to all but lug the engine, transmit power to the wheels but not speed for speed spins. This is one reason old VW's used to be great in snow. Yes the engine was in the rear over the drive wheels but they truly lacked the ability to transmit speed to the rear wheels so it was easy to not spin the wheels.They also had narrow tires on them.A WIDE tire is great in rain, sucks in snow. Do you have after market wide tires or are you running stock?As I mentioned before, STUDDED SNOW TIRES are the best winter friend of a 2 wheel drive automobile. You MUST do all for wheels for safety when braking. If you only have Studs on the front, if you brake hard on a slippery road, that rear end is going to come around and say hello!Get some studs, go to a snowy hill that is wide and open and practice various techniques of driving up that hill. Try not to ever spin the tires by feathering the gas pedal and being in control of the unit instead of the unit controlling you. There are techniques that work well, you've just got to learn them.A good tip with an auto in snow and ice, if you need to brake and stop in the shortest distance possible, kick the car in neutral for the automatic will be pressing to keep the front wheels spinning and because of the brakes having to over come this forward pull you'll need to use even more braking effort which will cause the rear wheels to lock up and possibly the front wheels as well. Anti lock will help avert this but it's better to not be fighting the automatic in a semi panic slippery stopping situation.You might find a driving school in your area that specializes in teaching driving skills to use in poor road conditions. IT may be well worth the investment for you.I've been driving for over 40 years, grew up in the North East, lived in the Pacific North West and spent many years in very snowy Pennsylvania. I NEVER had a 4 x 4 unit until my last year before I left Pennsylvania. Never needed it. I drove Dodge K cars, Chevy Station wagons, hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Accent, Dodge Mini Vans, even a Mazda Miata...the worst car I have EVER driven in snow bar none!!! The Miata severely challenged my snow driving abilities and I avoided using it with snow on the ground! I never put snows or studs on the Miata so in all fairness it wasn't equipped for the conditions.I Drove my 2 wd Ford Ranger for years all winter long, yes, even stopping to pull the occasionally 4 x 4 out of a snow bank! 4 x 4 does nothing but enable people who should NOT be driving in snow because they lack the skills, be able to get traction and go out in the stuff and more often than not, cause problems on the highways because they are stu......... well let's be nice, they can't drive in snow!!!! They shouldn't drive in snow but feel empowered with 4 x 4 so they go anyway!Sadly, I haven't any strong feeling about 4 x 4 and the problems they cause. Just be honest, if you can't drive in snow with a 4 x 2.....just stay home and keep the highways clear for those who have real winter driving skills!!!!!!!Sorry, I know I come across as arrogant about driving in snow but just look around you and see how poorly most people do! Adverse weather driving skills just aren't taught today, just put them in a 4x4 and all is good. I was fortunate, I learned to drive in the Winter and taught by my father who had a very high level of poor weather driving skills!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
zaxellord

Re: (lemay.08)

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by lemay.08 »It happens only during winter. During the summer, the Vibe can get ok over the slope but you can feel it 'force' his way up.I see, have you tried driving it up the slope in 1 or 2 gear?
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

I know that the Corolla and the Vibe is the same thing with some minor differences like the distance between the front wheels and the rear wheels is a little wider than the Corolla, etc...I also know that driving in the snow with a manual is way better than with an automatic. All my previous car were manual. But my wife can't drive a manual. I've tried to teach her but in vain. So I switch to automatic. We live in the city so we cannot have 2 cars for obvious reason.As for studded snow tires, it has been banned in Québec more than a decade ago because it was damaging the roads. So let say that it's not an option...I don't mean to brag or anything but I don't think that my driving skill is the problem here. Last summer, I spent a month in Bolivia (South America). The car I used over there was a Toyota Prado. The clutch was 3/4 used and the air filter was finished. Still, I've driven in... hell there were no roads, only wet mud. I've driven up hill (it was to the Andes cordillera and it went from the sea level to 4,000 m of altitude), driven in the Yungas road which means 'The Dead Road' (the second most dangerous road in the world) and sometimes in snow condition like in Potosi. It was winter over there and I'm pretty sure that they don't have snow truck to pick up the snow. Anyway, my point is that after my driving experience in Bolivia, I'm pretty much capable of braving anything with a car. But now, I'm stuck with my Vibe on the hill of my county house... how ironic.I've live all my life with the canadian winter where snow is as common as mosquitoes (ok that was a bad comparison but you get what I mean haha).My dad has also a high level of poor weather driving skill and he taught me well. I guess it's a prerequisite to be a father Next weekend, I'll try to take a picture of the hill. I'll keep you guys posted!
lemay.08

Re: (zaxellord)

Post by lemay.08 »

Nah... I've tried but it couldn't made it farther than the D
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

OK, maybe Crappy snow tires, worn out, rubber got hard over time, something. If a Corolla makes it up, you should make it up.There is a difference between the brands of snow tires, some grip....some look like they should......... but don't.Maybe ask Grandpa if he can drive your car up the hill? Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
nerka

Re: (djkeev)

Post by nerka »

Quote, originally posted by lemay.08 »As for studded snow tires, it has been banned in Québec more than a decade ago because it was damaging the roads. So let say that it's not an option...I don't mean to brag or anything but I don't think that my driving skill is the problem here. LOL x 100.......Where do you get your info regarding studs in Quebec??? No they are not banned. They are permitted from Oct 15-May15. Snow tires on all four wheels are required from Dec 15-March 15.You better listen to djkeev and let your grandpa show you how to drive.
lemay.08

Re: (nerka)

Post by lemay.08 »

Ha-ha real funny (ok I do admit that its a bit funny though... and now my wifes laughing at me after reading what youve wrote...)
lemay.08

Re: (nerka)

Post by lemay.08 »

Maybe I'll check for the studded snow tires then... But what was banned then... I remember about something that the government banned a few years ago... something about snow tires...
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Maybe I should try out studded snow tires before switching to AWD...Can it be that the engine doesn't have enough torque to get up the hill?
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Unless it's running really really poorly, it's got sufficient power to go just about anywhere you point the car.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

I will post a picture of the hill next time I'll go to my country house.
mr.clutch

Post by mr.clutch »

Just my two cents but you may want to check all four wheels for drag. you might have a brake hanging up. You may also have a bent wheel or a alignment problem. As for tring to start in second gear with a auto they will still start in first.
lemay.08

Re: (mr.clutch)

Post by lemay.08 »

Maybe you're right mr.clutch... It's a good idea that I get my car check up by my mechanic.
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

I found myself a Vibe on http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-au...12331Its a 2006 with 120k km on it... although the bottom of the car started to rust and that the prior owner decided to jack the car in the middle of the frame, the car is not bad. The car has never been treated with rustproof. I did a test drive and the rear wheels spin well. I've checked the rear diff for leaks and there were none. Btw, how often should I change that oil, how do I know when to change it so I won't have to replace the entire rear diff. From what Ive read so far on AWD, it requires a high maintenance vs Subaru...Now I wonder if I change take the AWD... I have to make a decision before Monday....Help me
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Oops I forgot to ask...how much does it cost to change the rear diff oil?
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Oh and I don't know if it seems fishy, but the dealer agreed to trade my Vibe 2008 FWD manual windows with his 2006 AWD with the electric package for 'free' ($8,000 = $8,000)What do you guys think? Should I trust him?
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

These are decisions only you can make, we can't see your car, we can't see the car you are looking at.I guess it all comes down to how badly you want to drive up that hill.You are........Willing to purchase an older car which most likely is more worn = $$'sWilling to purchase a 4x4 which has a higher repair rate = $$'sWilling to purchase a 4x4 which has a higher preventative maintenence cost = $$'sWilling to purchase a car which gets fewer MPG's in this volatile fuel situation we have with rumors of $5 US per gallon by Spring = $$'s.Bottom line, what is it worth to you to drive up a darn hill that it seems any car but yours is able to go up? I'll bet you $$'s my 07 FWD Vibe will go up it with no issues.Getting up that hill simply boils down to tires and driving ability. FYI, your "new" AWD will need quality tires on it to get up that hill. Less driving skill needed but good tires are a must have.Me? I'd put QUALITY (proven grip reviews) studded snows on your 08 and call it good. You'll be $$'s ahead of the game in the long run.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Yeah... I know youre right... Its just that I want so much to have an AWD... Should have thought about that before getting my Vibe... Ive tried the Vibe '06 and man the driving was so awesome! Although the tires on that Vibe was worn out, you really feel the car sticking to the ground. Maybe its the tires on my actual Vibe that had worn out but I bought it last year brand new. There a Goodyears Nordic... The only concern I have is not really about the mpg but more on the rear diff fluid... I dont know how often should I change it and how much does the oil cost... if its less than $100, Im down for it
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

I've got an '05 AWD (purchased new) and it's been 100% reliable, no differential leaks nor "additional costs" for maintenance and repairs as related to the AWD system. I wouldn't let the few issues reported by a few posters here dissuade you buying an AWD if that's what you really want. For a more robust understanding of the AWD Vibe, I suggest you look at True Delta, Consumer Reports and Edmunds; they give real repair numbers from owners (and show the AWD drive train to be as reliable and w/similar repair histories as FWD).That said, you will take a hit on MPG...the original EPA numbers on my '05 were 24/30 (vs. 30/36 w/FWD); but still, the first generation AWD Vibes had the best MPG ratings vs. other AWD vehicles...so it's not all bad news. Though I strongly disagree about the perceived "higher maintenance" views of some of the some of the other posters in this thread, I do agree that a small FWD (like the Vibe) w/the proper snow tires should be able to handle most driveway situations. I run snow tires on our AWD, which might be overkill for most people w/AWD's, but it's our "winter car" and we use it for snowboarding, going over mountain passes, the occasional trip north to Calgary, etc. If I lived someplace where I didn't have 100+ inches of snow and didn't care for winter mountain adventures, the FWD would have been the better choice.Take care,C_V
lemay.08

Re: AWD vs. FWD (Cougar Vibe)

Post by lemay.08 »

Ahhhh... I have an issue of the magazine called 'Protégez-vous' and they give the Vibe/Matrix 1st gen 5 stars. Thats why Im baffled when a few Vibers told me that an AWD is high maintenance... I do agree that all cars should have maintenance and repairs once in a while but... not for it to become a lemon car. Im not really hype about the idea of changing for another car (itll be my 4th in 3 years...) but me and the wife are outdoors ppl (like tomorrow Im going skiing in the woods). But did you ever change your rear diff oil? If so, how often and how much does it cost to do it?
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Ive been told that the rear diff of the '03-04 models is weak but the '05-06 are reliable.
zaxellord

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by lemay.08 »Oh and I don't know if it seems fishy, but the dealer agreed to trade my Vibe 2008 FWD manual windows with his 2006 AWD with the electric package for 'free' ($8,000 = $8,000)What do you guys think? Should I trust him?There is something up with that. I have never heard of a dealer doing willing to do this type of deal with hardly any/no money involved. Maybe that 2006 has some potentially expensive issues.
lemay.08

Re: AWD vs. FWD (zaxellord)

Post by lemay.08 »

But ive checked the car and it doesnt leak. Except for some little rust spots here and there. But the dealer agreed to switch parts of my fwd to the awd like floor panels etc.. Because the interior was scratched. Oh I forgot to mention that the dealer had the rear wheels bearings changed... He also said that the reason why he was willing to do the trade was because my vibe is 2 years younger than his awd and 30k km less than his... His awd 06 cost 8000$ and my vibe is worth the same price.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by lemay.08 »But ive checked the car and it doesnt leak. Except for some little rust spots here and there. But the dealer agreed to switch parts of my fwd to the awd like floor panels etc.. Because the interior was scratched. Oh I forgot to mention that the dealer had the rear wheels bearings changed... He also said that the reason why he was willing to do the trade was because my vibe is 2 years younger than his awd and 30k km less than his... His awd 06 cost 8000$ and my vibe is worth the same price.You want the car, you're just talking yourself into and looking for one or several of us to say "great deal, great idea... go do it". Well here is it, go get the car. Just keep in mind that WANTING a car so bad that you must have it rarely ends up good. Emotions get in the way and judgement is clouded. You're obsessed with an oil leak from the rear, there is a LOT more to buying a used car than if the rear differential leaks or how much it costs to change the oil in it.Seriously, you've looked at it, you've driven it, you've been back a couple of times and talked to the dealer, I don't think you'll be happy until you get an AWD, because you really WANT one, and this one is certainly affordable right out of the gate! IT all fits, go get it. You might consider paying a mechanic to check it out first, I would if I didn't have mechanical skills, but maybe that's just me.Enjoy your new ride.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

I know that what you said djkeev makes lots of sense. I admit that my inclination wants really bad to have that car. Like Cougar Vibe said, if I want the car, I should go and get it. I couldve had the car since last Thursday but I decided to wait so I can give it a REAL rational thought about it and discuss it with you guys. Right now, Im in a big dilemma. My emotional thoughts tells me to get it because the cars great (power package, AWD, etc...) but my rational mind tells me to watch out for these kind of deal. Like Ive read somewhere, when a deal is to good to be true, its because it is... I did get a mechanic to check on my car and he said the car was fine. I think Im going to get a second checkup from another mechanic. If the checkup still pass, then Im definitely going to get the AWD. Thanks for your help.
zaxellord

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by lemay.08 »I know that what you said djkeev makes lots of sense. I admit that my inclination wants really bad to have that car. Like Cougar Vibe said, if I want the car, I should go and get it. I couldve had the car since last Thursday but I decided to wait so I can give it a REAL rational thought about it and discuss it with you guys. Right now, Im in a big dilemma. My emotional thoughts tells me to get it because the cars great (power package, AWD, etc...) but my rational mind tells me to watch out for these kind of deal. Like Ive read somewhere, when a deal is to good to be true, its because it is... I did get a mechanic to check on my car and he said the car was fine. I think Im going to get a second checkup from another mechanic. If the checkup still pass, then Im definitely going to get the AWD. Thanks for your help.It's rare that I have heard a dealer offer a trade like this, with no money involved? If you go through with it, (like you probably will ) make sure that you get everything in writing, and that he signs it so that there are no nasty surprises. Also, check your insurance to see how much the AWD will cost to insure, but you probably already know to do that. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
lemay.08

Re: AWD vs. FWD (zaxellord)

Post by lemay.08 »

Yeah... I know its rare for a dealer to make this kind of deal... especially with no money involved. Btw, I dont know if Ive mentionned it earlier but the car also include 1 year/15,000km warranty. Honestly, I think Im going to pass on this deal. Besides all this, there is one other thing that bugs me is the fact that the AWD seems too 'heavy' to drive and that there is almost no acceleration on the car. If it is for me to buy an AWD, I think Im going to get myself a Subaru. I mean Im the kind of guy that if Im not satisfy with my current car, Im going to shop and buy another car... which I dont want to do again. Right now, my Vibe is 'perfect'. It is reliable, fun to drive, very clean (interior/exterior) and no weird noise. I dont want to risk myself getting another lemon car. I remembered having so many problems with my Mazda3. Now Im not stress at all about my current Vibe.So as for my steep hill problem, Im going to get myself some really good snow tires soon.As for now, Im still going to shop for cars... but only for my curiosity and for my amusement
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Oh and as for the steep hill at my country house, Im going there this Tuesday so Im going to take some pictures of that darn hill and post it when Ill get back (I dont have internet over there). To be continue....
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Have those tires studded or you won't be happy.Well, you probably won't be happy with studded tires on dry pavement anyway. Noisy suckers but if you want to play the game, you've got to pay in some way or other. You will be trading quiet dry road travel for excellent snow and ice traction and also, do all Four wheels, not reputable shop should sell you just two snow tires, studded or not....it just isn't safe.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

Nah Ill just go buy really good snow w/o studd. Like Ive mentioned earlier if a Corolla can make it, so will my Vibe!
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Have those tires studded or you won't be happy.As someone with studded tires, I agree 100%
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
lemay.08

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by lemay.08 »

Yeah I will go shopping for studded snows
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

ok... that may sound stupid but how do you post multiple pictures from your local machine to Genvibe? I took pictures of the hill at my country house, but I cant upload them on this thread...
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Upload them to a place like Photobucket, and just paste the IMG links here
nerka

Post by nerka »

Quote, originally posted by lemay.08 »Yeah I will go shopping for studded snows x 10
lemay.08

Post by lemay.08 »

I wonder... can I install traction control on my basic Vibe?