How to fix a crack screw post on the front door power window panel?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
petervivian

How to fix a crack screw post on the front door power window panel?

Post by petervivian »

Hi, everyone. I have a 2005 vibe. On the driver side front door, the front end of the power window switch assembly inside the panel is held by only one screw. The screw post on the panel is plastic. It is cracked on mine, so the switch assembly sinks into the panel and is difficult to use. Anyone got the same problem? How to fix it? I plan to glue the screw post but fear the bonding area is too small for the load on it. Thank you.

Attached files
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Canker

Re: How to fix a crack screw post on the front door power window panel? (petervivian)

Post by Canker »

All 3 of the post were broken on mine. I just super glued the hell out of it and so far so good.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
skimask

Post by skimask »

Got the exact same problem with mine. Bottom of the screw post is broke. And just happened a couple weeks ago.Tried epoxying it with high quality 2 hour stuff. Didn't hold. Plastic isn't "porous" enough to get a good hold.Next step for me is to try some plastic "cement" that actually "melts" the plastic a bit when setting up but I gotta hold off until spring when the temp's get up to a reasonable number.Until then, I've got a small "zip-tie' kinda wrapped around the whole thing with the panel reinstalled almost all the way (sticks up a bit but works for me).
star_deceiver

Re: How to fix a crack screw post on the front door power window panel? (petervivian)

Post by star_deceiver »

Use JB weld!!! A hair dryer will warm the parts up nicely enough to do the job!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
skimask

Post by skimask »

I would think JB Weld would be too brittle and crack as soon as it gets cold out.
star_deceiver

Re: (skimask)

Post by star_deceiver »

Used it many times in older vehicles. It worked in patching of the radiator on my old truck years ago and survived a few Alberta winters. It can be brittle in some applications as it has no bending ability whasoever.But then again.... the OP is in Florida... our version of cold is much different then his!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ligion

Post by ligion »

i had the same issue, and i just went to the local toyota dealer and got one brand new, they didn't have to order it since it was a matrix part. i paid $20 + tax for it.
petervivian

Re: (ligion)

Post by petervivian »

Sounds good, do you remeber the part number and the address of the dealer? Thanks.
skimask

Post by skimask »

If you get your hands on one, grab two and I'll PayPal you the $$$ for it Damn dealerships up here don't seem to have a clue of what I'm talking about...
ligion

Post by ligion »

I do'nt have the part number but when i went in person i just showed them the broken one i had and he went thru the parts guide on their computer and pulled it up. i can look around the receipt, but i probably tossed it. It was Wesley Chapel toyota, here in florida.
petervivian

Re: (ligion)

Post by petervivian »

Thanks for the info. Please take a picture of the receipt if you can find it. I can show the picture to a toyota dealer near me, much easier to locate the right part, and get the right price. Thanks.
petervivian

Re: How to fix a crack screw post on the front door power wi

Post by petervivian »

I got a new cover for $49 from a Toyota dealer in Miami, FL. The Chevy dealer next door asked for $89.
IMakeVibes

Re: How to fix a crack screw post on the front door power wi

Post by IMakeVibes »

Mine was broken when I got the Vibe. I also scored one from local Toyota dealer. The Toyota part number is on the bottom inside of the part, should be a 10 digit number. If the number has been changed, whatever number is on there should cross reference with the current part number.