Someone cut away my driver side splash shield

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SAMSAMSAM

Someone cut away my driver side splash shield

Post by SAMSAMSAM »

Hello, I'm new.I went out to my car today (05 vibe gt) and noticed my front driver side wheel well plastic was hanging down. Upon closer inspection it looks like someone has cut away a portion of it and I'm not sure why. It might have ripped off while driving but the cut looks pretty clean for that. Does anyone know why someone might have done this? Is there an expensive part behind there or something? Any info would be helpful. Here are some pictures of it as well. http://imgur.com/a/rwSbVThanks,Sam
mac99d

Re: Someone cut away my driver side splash shield (SAMSAMSAM)

Post by mac99d »

That is crazy.......sorry to hear that.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skimask

Post by skimask »

Looks more like a stress crack fracture to me. Probably got bumped/cracked sometime in the past and just kinda broke itself loose over time.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

They're held in mostly with plastic clips. They work their way out or a mechanic damages them upon removal and doesn't install new ones and this is the result. Sadly, it happened while you were driving and you were blissfully unaware of it happening. Windows were shut, stereo on, motoring along, meanwhile, your car is shedding bits as you go along! That's the problem with modern cars, you're isolated from the mechanical as you drive.No problem, just order a new one and new clips, pop it in some weekend. You're only out $$'s. Take comfort in the fact that no one was messing with your car.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
ligion

Post by ligion »

Mine broke off in the same place, and before i knew it, the tire wasw rubbing on it and most of it decentigraded and looked much of the same as yours. But it was pretty obvious that friction was the culprit on mine.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Weird about the splash shield, got nothing for you there... but welcome to the site!