New member!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
meltdownmonk

New member!

Post by meltdownmonk »

Hi, I bought a 2007 Vibe about a month and a half ago. I love it! I've drive quite a bit around the GTA and have put about 7000km's on it (started with 63,300 from the dealership) I have a few questions, as a new member I feel a little lost with so many threads. If someone would post some answers here, or direct me to the appropriate topic, it would be helpful.1. Does the XM radio installed in my Vibe normally come Stock in a 2007? 2. There are two curious looking metal boxes with wires coming out of them under both front seats. (I couldn't see them at all under I actually looked under the seat) I haven't determined what these are yet, I am not sure if they are stock or something the previous owner added. 3. I really would like to swap the stock radio out for something better. Any suggestions on a good car stereo deck for the Vibe? I've been looking at JVC, Pinoneer and Kenwood, and I'm thinking a Double Din deck would be best. For now I'm using a little FM Transmitter that plugs into the car lighter outlet so I can play songs from my Ipod. (although I find the positioning a little awkward due to the design of the Vibe)4. I'm looking to buy a Bike rack for my car. I've looked through Trailer Hitches, Roof Racks, and the hatch mounted racks. I am looking for some Vibe specific advice on which solutions have worked, and where I can get a good price. My Vibe does not have a Hitch, and it came with the stock roof bars, nothing extra.
lovemyraffe

Re: New member! (meltdownmonk)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to GenVibe!I can't really help with much except for the rack. I've used Thule and Yakima on my Vibe. You can find a good solution with either of those companies.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

HelloWelcome to Genvibe. To answer some of your questions:1. No XM was an option so you feature that is not found in many of the Vibes in 2007. The 2009-2010 Vibes had XM standard.2. Do you have Onstar(on the rear view mirror there is a series of buttons) one of the boxes might be for that. But it most likely is some sensor that tells the car that somebody is sitting in the seat. I am not 100% sure3. Do you like the stock radio but want a better iPod solution? There are a few solutions that allow you to keep the factory radio and add iPod capability to it. These will allow you to control the iPod from the radioPac-Audio sells things for your Vibehttp://www.pac-audio.com/default.aspxIf you are going the upgrade way then look for one that you like. The double DIN radio looks better in the factory radio hole but a single din works also. Keep in mind if you got onstar or one of those GM nanny radios(where everything is controlled from the radio(chimes,buzzers, Onstar etc) you will need to get a interface to retain these uses4. The Vibe comes predrilled for trailer hitches so all you need is the one for the Vibe/Toyota Matrix and the bolts and you have have itGood luck
meltdownmonk

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by meltdownmonk »

Thanks journeyforce, that was really helpful! I don't have Onstar. I asked one of my co-workers and he had the same theory about the Seat sensors. It's fiarly sensitive, sounded the passenger seatbelt beep even if it's just a backpack on my seat. I suppose my backpack must have weighed as much as a small child, or it had more to do with coverage... smaller items, or larger light items haven't seemed to set it off. I really don't like the stock radio, as far as ease of use, but I've figured it out, and really I just need some way to play my music. Having it look nice and being easy to use are just things I want, not necessarily need. I am going to check out those pac-audio solutions. Thanks so much!
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Welcome to GenVibe!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Flash51

Post by Flash51 »

I have a 2008 Vibe so I can answer some of your questions. I have a silver box under the driver's seat which is the 120V inverter. I have nothing under the passenger seat so I can't answer to that. The standard factory stereo unit is adequate but is prone to failures as it ages I've read so I replaced mine with a Kenwood KDC-X695. It's not a double DIN but Crutchfield had it as a special and I've been pleased with it. The factory stereo in a Vibe, unlike virtually every other GM product, does not have the bus interface which has the buzzers/chimes controlled by the radio unit.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Hi !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
vibenvy

Re: New member! (TONY TAT2)

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
journeyforce

Re: New member! (Flash51)

Post by journeyforce »

You know Flash51, you might be right about the inverter. So maybe that is it, the inverter box is under the drivers seat and the XM is under the passenger seat?
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Hey, nice to meet you!
My lovely Gambit.
tpollauf

Re: (Persephone)

Post by tpollauf »

Another Canadian joins us .... AWESOME Welcome & visit often
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
csxt8058

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by csxt8058 »

Welcome! JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
CAMOGIRL

Re: (csxt8058)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Welcome to genvibe! Wait, you have XM, but coming through your STOCK radio? I want that!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
orange_crush

Post by orange_crush »

welcome sorry i can't help with other inquiries but regarding radio, i installed JVC KWHDR720 2-DIN HD Radio USB-CD Receiver & very happy with it (works with my moon & tunes setup). got it off of amazon for a decent price. fyi, i wasn't in need of iPod-specific though.
Capt.Vibe

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »Another Canadian joins us .... AWESOME Welcome & visit often Yup the GenVibe Canuck family continues to grow.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA