New to genvibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
lannvouivre

New to genvibe

Post by lannvouivre »

I've had a white 2006 Vibe with the grey plastic trim for around five years now (and it has 57,738 miles). My parents bought it for my birthday used while I was in highschool, despite my fear of driving. In its past life, it was a rental car in Dallas for about 38k miles, but seemed to be in great condition besides seat discoloration.So far, the only problem it's given me for all the miles I've driven it for in desert Texas weather was that a sensor for the fuel injector malfunctioned and needed replaced. Anyway, considering my car's past occupation, its reliability seems phenomenal; my mom had an Oldsmobile Silhouette that started falling apart after two years (and also after its power-sliding doors almost took off my fingers in third grade). It also gets better mileage than her Mercury Mariner and makes her jealous, even though I'm only getting about 23 mpg, I don't really know what I'm doing wrong there; I do most of my driving in town and don't drive aggressively...I also do art sometimes (warning: I like to draw cats and dragons)http://lannvouivre.com/The site is by my boyfriendEdit: If any of my art seems discolored, please let me know--my monitor's saturation is too low despite being at 100%.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jake75

Re: New to genvibe (lannvouivre)

Post by jake75 »

I had a 2003 1.8L Vibe, and now have a 1.8L 2009 Vibe. My gas mileage for mostly in town driving (with many short trips) is about 23-24 mpg and I am an old guy that does not drive aggressively. Among other things , the govt requires the sale of "gasoline" that is 10% ethanol as part of the farm support lobby while basing fuel economy on 100% gasoline.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
808 Vibes

Re: New to genvibe (jake75)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Welcome
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
kostby

Post by kostby »

Welcome to the GenVibe family. 23 mpg 'in town' isn't bad at all. I live in a small town and drive short trips with lots of stop signs and stop lights with speed rarely above 40 mph. You're probably using air conditioning a lot, too.Keeping tires inflated to the recommended psi helps.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Welcome to the family!!
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

welcome to the site.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to GenVibe!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

welcome, if your reving over 3000k your going to suffer your MPG.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

welcome welcome.
http://
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome! Your drawings look great! 23 would be pretty average. That's what I was getting at first, but then I started driving much more conservatively and last fill-up I averaged 31.5mpg. It's a good challenge, but then again as a teenager I do sometimes get overzealous at acceleration, but I still get good MPGs. I have an MPG gauge which gives me my at-the-moment MPG so I can position the pedal perfectly for the best MPG at that speed.
lannvouivre

Re: New to genvibe (keithvibe)

Post by lannvouivre »

Thanks I actually drive pretty slowly; most of the streets I use have a 45 mph speed limit and tons of lights that like to change when they sense my approach, so I take my time getting up to 45. I've gotten so used to my style of driving that whenever Mom takes me somewhere, I spend the entire time tensed up and maybe even clutching the seat in fear (she is a very aggressive driver).Unfortunately, I don't have any form of an mpg gauge. I just use a little paper calculator that looks like a teacher's EZ Grader whenever I fill up the tank.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Hi !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by lannvouivre »Thanks I just use a little paper calculator that looks like a teacher's EZ Grader whenever I fill up the tank.Welcome to GenVibe Why don't you look into one of the several "on-line" MPG sites to electronically track your driving performance. I use this one http://www.mpgtune.com/fillupH...=4740 for all vehicles in my fleet. Your numbers may be normal for your ride BUT I'd think they should be a bit higher especially since you have the smaller 4 cylinder engine. Mine is the 2.4L and a manual tranny which gets me a bit better in city driving conditions
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by lannvouivre »Thanks I actually drive pretty slowly; most of the streets I use have a 45 mph speed limit and tons of lights that like to change when they sense my approach, so I take my time getting up to 45. I've gotten so used to my style of driving that whenever Mom takes me somewhere, I spend the entire time tensed up and maybe even clutching the seat in fear (she is a very aggressive driver).Unfortunately, I don't have any form of an mpg gauge. I just use a little paper calculator that looks like a teacher's EZ Grader whenever I fill up the tank.You're lucky, yellow lights LOVE me. It'll be 5 in the morning, I'm the only car on the road, and I get yellow'd. Actually, acceleration is not very efficient. Don't exactly race up to the seed limit (like I sometimes do when I'm bored or when cars are quickly getting bigger in the rearview mirror) but get to 45, and hold it. Also, don't brake too hard. I usually start braking at twice the distance of everyone else. It's easy to buy one. They're at most $150. The one I have was $100 on ebay, but I believe there is an even better one online for $50. I say it is very worth it. Yeah, I'm the most conservative driver I know, honestly. My parents aren't the worlds' best drivers and my sisters... well... no. I wouldn't put them in a Vibe for the sake of the Vibe. And my driving style does get calmer if another person is in the car.
lannvouivre

Re: New to genvibe (KITT222)

Post by lannvouivre »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »You're lucky, yellow lights LOVE me. It'll be 5 in the morning, I'm the only car on the road, and I get yellow'd. Actually, acceleration is not very efficient. Don't exactly race up to the seed limit (like I sometimes do when I'm bored or when cars are quickly getting bigger in the rearview mirror) but get to 45, and hold it. Also, don't brake too hard. I usually start braking at twice the distance of everyone else. It's easy to buy one. They're at most $150. The one I have was $100 on ebay, but I believe there is an even better one online for $50. I say it is very worth it.I actually meant that they see me coming and turn red as fast as they can. We actually used to have to pass through this one intersection that would sometimes only turn green for a fraction of a second, preventing us from even crossing when we were waiting at the light itself.I think the best part about early, gentle braking--besides not waking up a sleeping passenger--is that sometimes you can keep rolling because the light gets to green before you reach it.Unfortunately, I don't have a job at the moment, so I can't get an mpg gauge for a while. I really want one, though; it's a little stressful waiting to fill the tank to calculate my mpg and not really knowing what I did right or wrong. I'm glad you guys told me about keeping the rpms below 2500 or 3000; none of the other sites I've read have even mentioned rpms, but it definitely makes sense!