Just bought a Vibe-- looking to keep it running forever

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
agag

Just bought a Vibe-- looking to keep it running forever

Post by agag »

Hi y'all.I just bought a 2003 Vibe with 86,000 miles from a couple of engineers who sold it to buy a minivan. A mechanic gave it a clean bill of health except for a minor "oil leak from timing chain tensioner cover" as well as some bald tires. It's the first car I've owned, so I'm looking for tips on how to keep it running five or ten years or something. I live near the ocean (about two blocks away). I park it outside and it'll regularly sit for a couple of days at a time, since I mostly commute by bicycle. How do I keep it from getting paint cancer like I see on a lot of cars in San Diego? Washing and waxing, I hear. If so, how often?There's also light surface rust on the parts of the steel rims. Anything to do about that?The mechanic I went to was an enemy of 5W-20 and said to use something thicker, saying that thicker oils are better to keep cars running longer. Is that a reasonable claim? Or is that a car nerd holy war like text editors are with computer nerds?Other than oil changes, waxing, and the 90k service in a few months or a year, is there anything to do to keep it happy?Thanks.
NascarXprt

Re: Just bought a Vibe-- looking to keep it running forever (agag)

Post by NascarXprt »

Welcome to the Family. first off before the angry mob starts coming for you, we looovve pics of the new members ride. but really with the vibe all that needs to be done to keep it running forever is just the normal and scheduled maintenance.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
04chargedvibe

Post by 04chargedvibe »

welcome welcome!
agag

Post by agag »

Thanks for being welcoming, internets.Another question: is there anywhere special to drill to attach the front plate? This is an ex-Florida car so it doesn't have a front bracket.
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

welcome!!! if memory serves me correct there should be two little indentations centered and a little bit spaced apart on the front bumper. you would drill there to attatch the plate bracket/holder , you could also take a trip to the dealer and they could do it for a fee i assume i would also recommendcheck/replace the cabin air filter (behind glove box) as they can get pretty dirty real fast and are recommened to be replaced once every 12 monthscheck/replace engine compartment air filtercheck/replace front windshield wipers and rear wiper bladeread/check your owners manual for recommended maintenanceplease post pics when you can
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

Quote, originally posted by agag »Thanks for being welcoming, internets.Another question: is there anywhere special to drill to attach the front plate? This is an ex-Florida car so it doesn't have a front bracket.to my knowledge i think there might be two dimples in the bumper already not sure. a pic of the front bumper would help too.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by agag »....................The mechanic I went to was an enemy of 5W-20 and said to use something thicker, saying that thicker oils are better to keep cars running longer. Is that a reasonable claim? Or is that a car nerd holy war like text editors are with computer nerds?Other than oil changes, waxing, and the 90k service in a few months or a year, is there anything to do to keep it happy?Thanks.As mentioned already, wax it. Short of indoor storage that is your best bet. Some may say a car cover but they have their own list of problems associated with them.Change the oil. If you do nothing else, change the oil and you'll get a long service life out of the engine.About the oil, I've been in the Auto Business since the Late 60's working for the likes of Mercedes Benz, BMW, Volvo, Nissan (it was Datsun back then), Pontiac, Jeep, Mazda and (yes I AM old) American Motors, FIAT and Yugo!!!I have yet to meet a mechanic smarter than Automobile engineers!!! Maybe more common sense and more hands on experience but smarter? No. Many very intelligent minds both in the engine design at Toyota (yes, your car is a Toyota Corolla behind that Pontiac Badge) and also at major oil refineries formulated how your engine works and what is needed to properly lubricate it.Your mechanic, no matter how good or nice he is, is simply....wrong!! Insist on the oil noted on the oil fill cap or the owners manual. You need the 5w oil for cold starts. The most damage to any engine (short of catastrophic failure or complete lack of oil) is done on cold engine start up. You need the thinner oil in there to lubricate the bearings properly and to prevent damage.Do some research and reading on oil, it is a massive topic full of personal opinions and old wives tales.Here is a very good place to start your education if you have a few hours!http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

do the scheduled maintenance.I don't know what the schedule is but for either manual or automatic tranny, change the tranny oil/fluid periodically.Even if you have no visible oil leak, and if you change the oil regularly, there is something that you need to do that a few others forgot and it cost them an engine:Check your oil level regularly
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome to GenVibe!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Hi !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

As a new member from the south western most point of the continental US, WELCOME, from Ohio Looking forward to pics of your ride Other than the tips already offered by other members, stay away from California wild fires & mud slides
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
808 Vibes

Re: Just bought a Vibe-- looking to keep it running forever (tpollauf)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Welcome
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
kostby

Post by kostby »

Welcome to GenVibe!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
star_deceiver

Re: Just bought a Vibe-- looking to keep it running forever (kostby)

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Quote, originally posted by agag »Hi y'all.I just bought a 2003 Vibe with 86,000 miles from a couple of I live near the ocean (about two blocks away). I park it outside and it'll regularly sit for a couple of days at a time, since I mostly commute by bicycle. How do I keep it from getting paint cancer like I see on a lot of cars in San Diego? Washing and waxing, I hear. If so, how often?There's also light surface rust on the parts of the steel rims. Anything to do about that?Other than oil changes, waxing, and the 90k service in a few months or a year, is there anything to do to keep it happy?Thanks.Regular oil/filter changes will keep this car running many, many years. Stick with the Manufacturer recommended oil viscosity. Don't use anything else. The only things that can keep the paint from boiling away in that super strong southwest sunshine is lots of daytime shade and lots of good UV inhibiting wax. Don't let dust sit up on the roof or hood for very long periods of time. A good quality outdoor cover might help, but they are a pain to handle and store. A little steel wool and rusty metal primer, semi-gloss black, will hide the wheel rust. I doubt that rust would be much of a problem in San Diego, but to make sure, don't park your car anywhere the Pacific Ocean can get to the wheels or any part of your car for that matter! San Diego has some excellent weather.Need to see pictures. We do like pictures. Welcome to the Vibe forum of forums!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

Do the scheduled maintenance as recommended in the manual. In addition, check/clean/replace the VVTi valve every 50k miles. It is a $8 part from the Toyota dealer and a 15 minute change. Use the search function on this site for directions.If it has an unknown service history, you should get a full flush of the transmission fluid at a Toyota dealer soon. Or do three drain and fills (the Vibe has a transmission drain plug) a week apart if you want to do it yourself. Use only Toyota brand T-IV fluid (usually Toyota dealer is cheapest, can sometimes also get it at CarQuest reasonably). At 100k miles also get a power steering fluid flush (using the required Dex III transmission fluid - don't let some shop put in their bulk PS fluid) and the brake fluid (DOT 3 or higher) changed (bled). Change the coolant at ASAP if it hasn't been changed to this point (or if you don't know if it has been). The 2003-04 models only came with 30k coolant from the factory. Get it done at a Toyota or GM dealer since they'll fully flush it as to not leave any of the old stuff in that a drain and fill will, and they'll use either Toyota pink or Dex-Cool (basically the same thing). If the coolant has never been changed before and you are at 90k plus miles, it would be a good idea to change the thermostat right away, too.For oil, the car specs 5W30. Use that. Clean the MAF sensor (search this site for instructions). Change the PCV valve (use OEM). Then deal with any repairs, check engine lights, etc. as they come.
CAMOGIRL

Re: (joatmon)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

*EDIT- Looked at the front of my 2003 and confirmed that there is absolutely no guide on mine as to where you would put a license plate, no dimples, recessed edges or anything like you'd see on other vehicles. There may not be any on agag's car.Quote, originally posted by joatmon »do the scheduled maintenance.I don't know what the schedule is but for either manual or automatic tranny, change the tranny oil/fluid periodically.Even if you have no visible oil leak, and if you change the oil regularly, there is something that you need to do that a few others forgot and it cost them an engine:Check your oil level regularlyToo often forgotten...i don't pop the door (fuel) without lifting the lid (hood).Lots of good info in this thread! I'm learning too!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.