replacing my vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
librarylady

replacing my vibe

Post by librarylady »

My vibe was totaled yesterday! The other driver ran a red light and destroyed my wonderful car. I want to get another Vibe but I'm wondering if it will be difficult for maintenance with the car being discontinued. Any suggestions? I'm grieving for my vibe....
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

sorry to hear about the loss, if you're afraid of maintenance, just remember the vibes are pretty much a matrix..so you can either get a matrix or find a used vibe, or something totally different
DoubleBaril

Post by DoubleBaril »

Sorry to hear; Also glad you are on here being able to post about it (some aren't so lucky). I can't see it being too bad to find parts for the car, as the car is basically a matrix as mentioned, and the engines are also in several other cars.
2003 Vibe AWD
ou.grizzly

Re: replacing my vibe (librarylady)

Post by ou.grizzly »

What year Vibe are you looking for?I would shoot for a low mileage 2008 Vibe - best value and parts are readily available.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...or, look into a similarly equipped Matrix!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

When I was looking for a Vibe the service department said something about them having to, by law, produce parts for 10 years or something like that; Now if thats the truth I don't know. I have an '09 GT and love it.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Glad your OK.Did you buy that Vibe new ?then a new Matrix would be your best bet.Used,then a certified used Vibe thru a GM dealer.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
06pvibe

Re: replacing my vibe (ou.grizzly)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »What year Vibe are you looking for?I would shoot for a low mileage 2008 Vibe - best value and parts are readily available. Well, that wasn't very nice. Cellphone user perhaps? Glad to hear you're OK... sore perhaps?I agree. A 2008 base would probably be your best bet. Just make sure all the recalls are done before you pick it up. Also, I'm quite sure that parts, both dealer and aftermarket, will be available for some time to come. I wouldn't worry.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
808 Vibes

Re: replacing my vibe (06pvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I'm sorry to hear that, glad you are OK. I wouldn't worry about the parts too much...I still see a lot of Oldsmobiles around.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
kostby

Post by kostby »

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're OK, but now that you've found us, feel free to hang around GenVibe a while! GenVibe members are truly of all ages, locations, occupations (and retired!) and have many diverse interests.There are a number of 'accident' threads posted with lots of valuable advice about dealing with insurance, legal, and medical issues that may result from an accident. Here's one thread I contributed to last fall --> http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42462Sudden thought: We probably need to create a 'sticky' topic about 'After an accident'.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Salsa Guy

Re: replacing my vibe

Post by Salsa Guy »

Hope everyone is OK that's the main thing. The Vibe/Matrix are tough little cars and have protected their owners very well. Like most people have said don't worry about maintenance on these things because they are basically a Toyota Product. Quite Frankly I believe the Vibe looks sharper than the Matrix (did I just say that?...LOL). I believe you'll be quite happy with a TRIX if you can't find a Vibe.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
jake75

Re: replacing my vibe (rmckinjr)

Post by jake75 »

I like to keep up with what is current and maintain a not so short "short list" of potential replacements in case of an unfortunate event like yours. While I have been extremely satisfied with both my former '03 and current '09 Vibe both purchases were motivated in large measure by deals too good to pass up (discounts, rebates, GM Card earnings). At normal pricing levels there are a lot of models that I would consider as suitable replacements, including Mazda 5; Elantra Touring; Nissan Rogue; Nissan Versa, Scion xD, Honda Fit; Honda CRV, Toyota Matrix, Toyota Rav4, Kia Rondo; Chevy Equinox; Subaru Forester; and even a Scion xB, Nissan Cube or Nissan Soul. The Equinox is in there as dealers are starting to discount the Equinox by several hundred dollars, there is a $1,000 loyalty rebate, and a GM Card $2,000 rebate deal, making a well equipped LT-1 in the 21,500 to 22,000 range.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
06pvibe

Re: replacing my vibe (kostby)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by kostby »...Sudden thought: We probably need to create a 'sticky' topic about 'After an accident'.I like that idea! Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »...Quite Frankly I believe the Vibe looks sharper than the Matrix (did I just say that?...LOL). I believe you'll be quite happy with a TRIX if you can't find a Vibe. I agree. Something about the front end just looks better than the TRIX to me. And while I've never been a "big car" person, the Matrix looks smaller for some reason too. without actually looking, I'm pretty sure the Matrix is less tall than the Vibe. Anyone? Quote, originally posted by jake75 »... At normal pricing levels there are a lot of models that I would consider as suitable replacements, including Mazda 5; Elantra Touring; Nissan Rogue; Nissan Versa, Scion xD, Honda Fit; Honda CRV, Toyota Matrix, Toyota Rav4, Kia Rondo; Chevy Equinox; Subaru Forester; and even a Scion xB, Nissan Cube or Nissan Soul. The Equinox is in there as dealers are starting to discount the Equinox by several hundred dollars, there is a $1,000 loyalty rebate, and a GM Card $2,000 rebate deal, making a well equipped LT-1 in the 21,500 to 22,000 range. That's quite a range you've got there... but a RAV4 or CR-V? The xD is said to be very odd and uncomfortable for any long distance driving too.And the Equinox w/LT-1 is not really in the same class? A sm block V8 vs. a 4-cyl?
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
06pvibe

Re: (09vGT)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »When I was looking for a Vibe the service department said something about them having to, by law, produce parts for 10 years or something like that; Now if thats the truth I don't know. It is. They are required by law to be able provide/produce replacement parts for a period of no less than ten years from the last model year of any vehicle sold in the U.S. It's been that way since the Carter Administration, and perhaps before that?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr » ...Quite Frankly I believe the Vibe looks sharper than the Matrix (did I just say that?...LOL). I believe you'll be quite happy with a TRIX if you can't find a Vibe. I agree. Something about the front end just looks better than the TRIX to me. And while I've never been a "big car" person, the Matrix looks smaller for some reason too. without actually looking, I'm pretty sure the Matrix is less tall than the Vibe. Anyone? No I had them side by side and they are the same height, lenght and etc. Execpt everyone know Pontics have more power...LOL.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
jake75

Post by jake75 »

That's quite a range you've got there... but a RAV4 or CR-V? The xD is said to be very odd and uncomfortable for any long distance driving too. And the Equinox w/LT-1 is not really in the same class? A sm block V8 vs. a 4-cyl?[/QUOTE]The standard engine in the Equinox is a 4 cyl 2.4L. With a 6 speed automatic the mpg is not too bad. The commonality of my list lies with the price (not more than about $22,500), functionality (hatchback), and modest length permitting easy parking etc. We only drive the Vibe about 6,000 miles a year so fuel efficiency is important but not critical.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
06pvibe

Re: replacing my vibe (rmckinjr)

Post by 06pvibe »

Oh, SURE! Say's the guy w/the same +/-130 hp 1.8L most of us have only with an additional 5-8 lbs of BOOST!! 'Ever have it dynoed to see whatcha' got at the wheels?*edit* Wait! You are AWD which means you lose about 10hp before the additional parasitic losses of the AWD system.
tnpartsguy

Re: (09vGT)

Post by tnpartsguy »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »When I was looking for a Vibe the service department said something about them having to, by law, produce parts for 10 years or something like that; Now if thats the truth I don't know. I have an '09 GT and love it.I can tell you 100% that is NOT True. The vehicle manufactuer only has to make parts to supply demand. And if for some reason one company makes the parts and another sells it, it's ever worse.....if you don't believe THAT, ask the guys with 2007~2009 Duramax trucks who can't get glow plug controllers right now. Isuzu's makes them, it's taking approximatly 90 days to get one currently.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
tnpartsguy

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by tnpartsguy »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »It is. They are required by law to be able provide/produce replacement parts for a period of no less than ten years from the last model year of any vehicle sold in the U.S. It's been that way since the Carter Administration, and perhaps before that?Find it. I've googled it, and I've asked my GM reps, it is NOT true. It's heresay.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Interesting article on replacement parts on dead brands.http://online.wsj.com/article/....html....."John McDonald, a General Motors spokesman, points out that auto makers are required by law to supply parts for the full warranty period. That can be up to five years or 100,000 miles for some GM vehicles. And often car makers or their suppliers continue making parts long after warranties expire, especially for higher-volume models that generate long-term demand for replacement parts. "It's a profitable thing to do," Mr. McDonald says, though he also warns that parts for cars produced in lower volumes may be hard to find."....."Contrary to a widely held belief, though, car makers do not have to keep making parts for 10 years after ending production of a car or a line of cars."
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Oh, SURE! Say's the guy w/the same +/-130 hp 1.8L most of us have only with an additional 5-8 lbs of BOOST!! 'Ever have it dynoed to see whatcha' got at the wheels?*edit* Wait! You are AWD which means you lose about 10hp before the additional parasitic losses of the AWD system. ? ? ?
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Umm... Librarylady are you following all this silliness?
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Two quick Vibe/Matrix replacements that look very promising are the new Kia Forte 5-door and the 2012 Ford Focus 5-door. The Kia Forte 5-door is on a newer platform than the Hyundai Elantra Touring, and shares the new 6 speed manual and 6 speed automatic with the new Elantra sedan. Getting info for the Forte 5-door is tough though. I think I saw one in the showroom of the local dealership the other day but it was closed. The 2012 Ford Focus 5-door looks very promising except for a complicated trim level and accessory list, not to mention price as the trim levels and options get ticked off. I wish Ford would look at the trim level model of the likes of Honda or Hyundai/Kia. The Focus will not be out for a couple three or four months. If you have to buy a car now I might preach sacrilege and say the Hyundai Sonata or Elantra or Kia Optima SEDANS look quite impressive. I know, I know, sedan is a dirty word!
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Librarylady,A couple more interesting candidates are the Ford C-Max and Grand C-Max, but it will be some time before these come out in North America. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...eddedh ... rd....html
star_deceiver

Re: (10vibe1.8auto)

Post by star_deceiver »

Mechanically, there should be no shortage of parts as there are many a many of Corolla/Matrix/XB/XD out there! Body wise.... I'd hate to see how much a replacement headlight unit would be for the/my 09 3 years down the road....
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
06pvibe

Re: replacing my vibe (jake75)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »? ? ?I was replying to rmckinjr's silliness about Pontiac's having "more power" than Toyotas do when his sig states '05 Trix AWD & S/C (Supercharged.) Just giving him a hard time for rubbing it in.... all in fun, and of course all off-topic too.
06pvibe

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy »I can tell you 100% that is NOT True. The vehicle manufacture only has to make parts to supply demand. And if for some reason one company makes the parts and another sells it, it's ever worse.....if you don't believe THAT, ask the guys with 2007~2009 Duramax trucks who can't get glow plug controllers right now. Isuzu's makes them, it's taking approximately 90 days to get one currently.Perhaps you are correct. There does seem to be a shortage of info about it out there. But one article/blog on snopes.com does state the legislation has been drawn back from a 20yr requirement back in the '80's. I was a Parts Mgr too back in the '80's and we had always heard that the manufacturer was required to continue making/providing "running and common body" replacement parts for the reasonable life of the vehicles it sold, and it was generally considered that 10yrs was reasonable. As with junkyards and car lots, most do not deal with most cars that are more than ten yrs old. Junkyards strip reusable parts, parts that crossover or are liable to sell and crush the rest.New car dealers that trade in anything more than about 5yrs old (the average limit when I was in the business was 10yrs)... off to the auction it goes. That said, there is no shortage of '03-'08 Vibes out there.As far as your Duromax example however, that doesn't hold water. They are still producing and providing the part, there is just a delay in manufacturing it, but it is still being made available.
librarylady

Post by librarylady »

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm starting my car shopping today. I'm NOT looking forward to it. I loved my Vibe and based on your comments, I just don't think its a good idea to get another. Mine was a bright red 2005 with the black trim (bought used in 2007). It was still under 50,000 miles and well maintained except for the overabundance of black dog fur.Today I think I'll look at a Vibe (hope I can be strong), a Matrix, a Cube, a Fit and maybe (horrors) a sedan or two! I liked the funky look of the Vibe... But I liked its reliability, its safety, its gas mileage and the amount of stuff I could load in the cargo area even with an 80lb. dog in the back seat!I'll keep you posted!
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Good luck with the hunt!
jake75

Re: (10vibe1.8auto)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 10vibe1.8auto » If you have to buy a car now I might preach sacrilege and say the Hyundai Sonata or Elantra or Kia Optima SEDANS look quite impressive. I know, I know, sedan is a dirty word!If, God forbid, I were to buy a sedan, Sonata would be near the top of the list.
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »...And the Equinox w/LT-1 is not really in the same class? A sm block V8 vs. a 4-cyl?Now I'm really confused...Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the Equinox w/ LT-1 is a 4-cyl, not a small block V8...can be upgraded to a 3.0 V6...V8? where did that come from?
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
jake75

Re: replacing my vibe (engineertwin2)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by engineertwin2 »Now I'm really confused...Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the Equinox w/ LT-1 is a 4-cyl, not a small block V8...can be upgraded to a 3.0 V6...V8? where did that come from?Yes - that is right. 4 cyl; the V-6 s a $1,500 option I believe. No V-8 possible. Maybe 06pvibe is confusing the Equinox with something else.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 » The Equinox is in there as dealers are starting to discount the Equinox by several hundred dollars, there is a $1,000 loyalty rebate, and a GM Card $2,000 rebate deal, making a well equipped LT-1 in the 21,500 to 22,000 range. I am not that familiar w/the Equinox, that is true. It's not really my kind of vehicle, but the only LT1 I am familiar with is a small block, overhead cam Chevy engine....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine Are they using that as model/trim designation as well? Geez, that would be confusing.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools...10006 and Chevrolet EquinoxStock#: 41657Location: Jack Maxton Chevrolet 1-877-331-1628Color: Silver Ice MetallicStyle/Type: FWD 4dr LT w/1LTEngine: 2.4L 4-CylinderTransmission: 6-Speed AutomaticMSRP $25,500
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

AH! It's a 1LT, not an LT1. Still confusing. Why would Chevy do that? Silly imo.And w/only a sunroof as an option ($900!!) it would be $25,555 before TTL!!!No thanks.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

get a s scion XB. I dunno Ive always liked those for some reason. Its similar to a vibe. Get another vibe or matrix is good! or get a golf cart! what the heck its just transportation right?
06pvibe

Re: replacing my vibe (vibedrivermatt)

Post by 06pvibe »

Not to burst your bubble, but do you know the xB is one of the 10 most vehicles pulled over? So is the tC?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Sorry to hear about the Vibe, but if you were on here the next day, you must have come out of the accident ok. pay attention to developing ailments, not all the injuries from a car -totalling accident will be fully manifested the first dayIf my Vibe was totalled, I'd probably buy another one instead of something else. I do not think that parts availability will be an issue. I haven't seen an alternative car that I would like instead of a Vibe. If you want a replacement Vibe, get one and don't worry. off topic, but Maryland has excellent libraries. I know someone in BCPL with a Vibe, are you in the city system or one of the counties?
librarylady

Re: replacing my vibe (joatmon)

Post by librarylady »

I'm at BCPL.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Not to burst your bubble, but do you know the xB is one of the 10 most vehicles pulled over? So is the tC. I have not been pulled over (knock on wood) for 47 years. Do you think driving an xB would change my lucky streak!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »AH! It's a 1LT, not an LT1. Still confusing. Why would Chevy do that? Silly imo.And w/only a sunroof as an option ($900!!) it would be $25,555 before TTL!!!No thanks. This is the most common option on that 1LTDRIVER CONVENIENCE PACKAGE: $845 REMOTE VEHICLE STARTER SYSTEM 8-WAY POWER DRIVER SEAT ADJUSTER REARVIEW CAMERA SYSTEM INCLUDES AUTO DIMMING INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRRORWith a $750 dealer discount, $1,000 loyalty, and $2,000 GM card that comes to 21,750 plus TTL. Not a bad value. STANDARD EQUIPMENTItems Featured Below are included at NO EXTRA CHARGE in the Standard Vehicle Price Shown at Right***MECHANICAL*** * 5 YEAR/100,000 MILE POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS * ENGINE, 2.4L 4-CYL, DOHC SIDI * TRANSMISSION 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC * OIL LIFE MONITORING SYSTEM * COMPACT SPARE, STEEL***SAFETY/SECURITY*** * 2010 TOP SAFETY PICK AWARD FROM THE INSURANCE INSTITUTE FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY * ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM, 4 WHEEL DISC * STABILITRAK-STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM WITH TRACTION CONTROL * TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM * AIR BAGS, DUAL FRONTAL * SIDE IMPACT AIRBAGS, DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER * HEAD CURTAIN SIDE AIRBAGS WITH ROLLOVER PROTECTION, ALL ROWS * CHILD SAFETY LATCH SYSTEM * AUTOMATIC HEADLAMP CONTROL * REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY * THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM * 6 MTHS ONSTAR DIRECTIONS AND CONNECTIONS WITH AUTOMATIC CRASH RESPONSE AND TURN-BY-TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)***EXTERIOR FEATURES*** * POWER OUTSIDE MIRRORS, BODY COLOR, HEATED * 17" ALUMINUM WHEELS * GLASS DEEP TINTED * ROOF RACK SIDE RAILS***INTERIOR FEATURES*** * PREMIUM CLOTH SEATS * DRIVER SEAT WITH POWER HEIGHT AND LUMBAR ADJUSTMENT * MULTI-FLEX (TM) SLIDING REAR SEAT WITH 60/40 SPLIT SEATBACK & 3-POSITION RECLINE * AIR CONDITIONING * STEERING, TILT AND TELESCOPING * CRUISE CONTROL * POWER WINDOWS, EXPRESS DOWN * AM/FM STEREO CD WITH AUX INPUT * XM SATELLITE RADIO - SERVICE SUBSCRIPTION SOLD SEPARATELY BY SIRIUS/XM AFTER 3 MONTHS * OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE & COMPASS * FLOOR MATS * BLUETOOTH FOR PHONE * LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL WITH AUDIO CONTROLS
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-1....htmlWhat can I say?Oh and I almost forgot but the Matrix is #10 on the list!