College Student Looking at an 03 Vibe...Good deal?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
chapstickaddict

College Student Looking at an 03 Vibe...Good deal?

Post by chapstickaddict »

So I'm a broke college student who's car is starting to fall apart. I'm driving a 93 Chevy Lumina that I've had since 2006, and good 'ol Lucille has gotten me from downstate Michigan to Marquette, Michigan and back many-a-time. But she's getting old and the repair costs are starting to get to me. I started researching cars and kept thinking I found good ones, then something would kill it for me. Now I've come across the goldmine that is the Vibe. They're the exact size I'm looking for, great mpg, and an AWD model! I drove an 05 Vibe today (and made sure to ask the dealer about the pending recall on the PCM/ECM and if it'd be covered under warranty) and I loved it, save for the handling of the FWD version in the snow. It wasn't really bad...but it reminded me why I was looking for an AWD vehicle in the first place.Fast forward to the newspaper ad I found today. An '03 AWD Vibe for $6500 obo. I know that the '03 books for around $5400 in "good" condition from a private party, and that's what I'm assuming it is. The lady called me back and she's the original owner, 124k miles, no big maintenance, no issues with the battery, regular scheduled maintenance, and she just put brand new Michelin all-season tires on it. Therefore, she says she really can't ask less than $6500 to cover cost of those. I looked up Michelin tires and the most expensive set were $581 for 4, no labor or anything. So assuming she got them done at a local shop, I'm going to guess it was more than that. Even with new tires though...unless it cost like $800-900 dollars, the asking price is still higher than the kbb. This is, like, the exact car I want. I'm going to meet her to see/drive it tomorrow and I'll see how it does...but if it's perfect and awesome and my mechanic checks it out...is it worth paying the extra cash? Just wanted to add that I'm keeping an eye out for others around the area, but living where I do is making it tough and I can't afford to be driving all around the country to check out vehicles. Any/all advice is appreciated! Also, Hi! I'm new
VastOrangutan

Re: College Student Looking at an 03 Vibe...Good deal? (chapstickaddict)

Post by VastOrangutan »

Hello! I'm a college student as well and just bought an '03 AWD myself from Charlevoix! 115k and $5000, but I'll have over $1000 put into her (tune-up, tires, fixing random issues) by the time it's shaped up for another 100k.So, as far as the car you're looking at...it's definitely a bonus if there are maintenance records. If you know the woman has done the repairs recommended in the owner's manual and at the specified intervals, it may be worth what she's asking. Otherwise, it's good practice to do a standard tune up, change all the fluids, and perhaps get the brakes redone!It always helps to haggle, though! I can't believe she won't budge...I had at looked at lots of cars in my search, and I wouldn't call a car a deal unless it's in immaculate condition mechanically and aesthetically! MAYBE with the new tires I'd pay $6000, but it would be hard to do considering registration fees... ...Remember, state of Michigan charges 6% "use tax" when you title it, so you'll end up dumping an additional $400-$500 at the SOS office when everything is final and you have your plate.Anyway, the decision is yours to make, but it ALWAYS helps to haggle. Good luck in your car search!
VastOrangutan. Yes, I have red hair.2003 Vibe AWD M&T PackageStock...For Now!
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! Quote, originally posted by chapstickaddict » An '03 AWD Vibe for $6500 obo. I know that the '03 books for around $5400 in "good" condition from a private party, and that's what I'm assuming it is. 124k miles, , and she just put brand new Michelin all-season tires on it. Therefore, she says she really can't ask less than $6500 to cover cost of those. $6500 is too much, new tires of not. Besides, you're going to need a set of winter tires!This is, like, the exact car I want. I'm going to meet her to see/drive it tomorrow and I'll see how it does...but if it's perfect and awesome and my mechanic checks it out...is it worth paying the extra cash? IMO No When you test drive it, take it on a snowy road and take some corners and hammer the brakes with those all seasons... you're going to have a handful...IMO the price is too high for the mileage. Personally, $5000 would be an average price I'd pay for it.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
chapstickaddict

Re: College Student Looking at an 03 Vibe...Good deal? (star_deceiver)

See, this is what I was thinking. I feel like if I paid 6500 I'd be screwed over a bit. But then I have zero idea how to haggle with some random stranger over how much her car is worth. Especially since I'm a young female 20-something who "doesn't know about cars." Technically, I don't, but I've lurked on this forum enough to feel almost confident changing the oil in a Vibe (has never done anything like that ever, I might add). How do you, well, start to haggle?
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

2 more things to look for on the AWD cars; the rear diff is WEAK....if it's making any noises-- run away!Also, on ALL 1st/@nd gen Vibes, open both the hatch AND the hatch window, cheak carefully for rust around the window opening (esp up north!)
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
chapstickaddict

Re: (tnpartsguy)

^ what noises does one look for? And I'm going to sound like a moron, but what exactly IS a rear differential? And how much to fix one if I bought a Vibe and it broke or something horrible and hypothetical?
VastOrangutan

Post by VastOrangutan »

Haggling? It's basically two people agreeing on a price for the vehicle. A $5000 offer might be a real "low-ball" offer if she already sounds firm at $6500. Just make it clear that you are not willing to pay that price, and what your intentions are! Try to find flaws in the vehicle to negotiate the price down as much as possible...$100 for a dent here, $200 for a scratch there...it's all just a game really! Which means it doesn't hurt to feel around and try to seal the deal while also paying the least amount of money.And please please please look the car over well, or take it to a mechanic if you don't have a good knowledge of car related things. I found I actually had seals leaking on my rear differential (which btw is the device that takes the power from engine and puts it to the rear wheels.) after I bought the car...you can't catch everything I suppose. The AWD models have a few more important mechanical parts to enable them to be, in fact, AWD. This means more things to take care of - or to break - but in my view it's worth it for the added traction on Michigan's winter roads!
VastOrangutan. Yes, I have red hair.2003 Vibe AWD M&T PackageStock...For Now!
star_deceiver

Re: (chapstickaddict)

Post by star_deceiver »

How to check over a car: http://www.samarins.com/check/simplecheck.htmlAnd remember, you ALWAYS have the power to walk away!!! Don't let them sell you the car, decide for yourself that you want the car on your own terms!!!Quote, originally posted by Simple Check »Don't sign a contract and don't give a deposit until you are completely satisfied with the car. If you have any hesitation be prepared to leave, you always can find another car or come back later. Consider to test-drive another vehicle of the same model to have something to compare with.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

i wouldnt pay more than $5500 for it
midnighthunder89

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by midnighthunder89 »

No way I go to michigan tech. You dont really need the awd the fwd on these cars work great, this is coming from a guy who had awd previously. you should look when you go down state there are many more options, and IMO cars are taken better care of down there. The UP has alot of "different" ways to care for them. If you decide to get one up here you may be paying more because there are less vehicles for sale. o ya welcome to the site
2010 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed manual.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

AWD's will always cost more than a fwd. They hold their value once they hit a certain price it seems. Escape shopping was the same way. Theres 01's with 200k miles going for like $5k its freaking crazy. So paying 5-6500K seems imo to be a fairly good investment at that mileage. If proper maintence is done it should last to 300k+. But think of what mainenenace needs to be done. struts/shocks, rubber boots, serp belt, alternator, starter?, all fluids. Not bad, can add up though, so I agree negotiate it around 5500k and you have a pretty damn good deal. Rear diff shouldnt be a big deal if they changed fluid. If not you can change it too, not hard.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Hi welcome to the site!I say go to the bank and see what they would loan on the car, as I assume you will be doing a loan. The bank will loan wholesale value most likely. If that is the Vibe that is right for you take a check for the loan value and put it in the sellers hands. Sellers are more apt to sell on the cheap when they see the money.If buying cash do the same thing, put 5,000 in that persons hand, There is a better chance you would be going home in a Vibe then walking.You will love the Vibe! Many of ours are still under the original ownership or on a second Vibe.BTW my wife is a Chapstick addict as well, probably has 30 in her purse and 30-40 stashed around the house, I'm not even close to kidding.
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
jake75

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by jake75 »

I'd be interested to see what the bank loan value is on a 2003 Vibe with that many miles. My guess is "low". But that might be a way to negotiate a more reasonable price.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

FWD gets my vote over the AWD
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Front wheel drive and 4 good snow tires will get you through the snow season. Front wheel drive can be had with a manual transmission and yield a lot better gas mileage. A guy at work has a 4wd Vibe and only gets 24-26 mpg with it in Winter. My fwd manual gets 35 mpg. Summer mileage 37-38 and if you really baby it, 40 mpg (I hit that figure twice commuting to work). At around 3 bucks a gallon it will make a big difference. And the best part... fwd cost less to buy than a 4wd, to begin with. Remember that a Vibe is basically a Corolla wagon, so if it's well maintained, it will run for a long, long time. If you have talked yourself into 4wd, then get it. A 4wd Vibe is the next best car to buy... after a fwd Vibe.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
psiu

Post by psiu »

I hate our FWD Vibe in the snow with all-seasons. Was just up in Houghton at the beginning of the month...my wife finally believed me and decided the next vehicle will be AWD.
midnighthunder89

I love the Fwd, yes i wish i had some 16 steelies and snow tires but when you drive in the snow as much as I do you get pretty good at it. The hardest part in houghton is the hill grades are higher than "normal" roads but there is always roads that are better than others you just have to know your way around
midnighthunder89

Re: (midnighthunder89)

jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by midnighthunder89 » http://up.craigslist.org/cto/2112833807.html Seems like a reasonable deal. About 2 years ago I sold my 2003 1.8L AT Power Pkg with 33,000 miles for $9,500. So trade the GT for the AT and it is about even. But I will tell you I think the trade-in (essentially auction value) was significantly less than $9,500. The dealer was not even interested in making me an offer when I told them I was going to sell it myself. But used cars prices have firmed up since that time.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
psiu

Post by psiu »

Quote, originally posted by midnighthunder89 »I love the Fwd, yes i wish i had some 16 steelies and snow tires but when you drive in the snow as much as I do you get pretty good at it. The hardest part in houghton is the hill grades are higher than "normal" roads but there is always roads that are better than others you just have to know your way aroundLived there for 10 years. Ran around for a week to L'Anse, Calumet, Hancock, Lake Linden and Houghton. Have 16's on ours...not much weight up front, and fairly wide tires make it less than ideal. The old Corsica handled better (in the snow)...as does our 95 Neon with 13's (aside from the other deathtrap characteristics expected in a 95 Neon ).Of course down here the road crews just suck...I often wish they would get sent to the UP for graduate level courses in snow removal.The GT takes Premium fuel if I remember right?
midnighthunder89

ya it takes prem. and it is a manual I dont think she wanted that either but it looked in good condition from the few pics there were
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I had a 2004 FWD vibe with 4 snow tires...very good in Duluth, MN THen a 2008 speed3 with snow tires, fwd. Did fine. Now I have a AWD ford escape with 4 snow tires...BEAST!!! I would if I could take awd over fwd but I have a summer car...so if this is your DD. I guess Id go either way, whatever you find cheaper. But plan on buying snow tires for either one.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by midnighthunder89 »ya it takes prem. and it is a manual I dont think she wanted that either but it looked in good condition from the few pics there were I keep forgetting about that not so minor disadvantage.
cptnsolo77

Re: (northvibe)

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I lived in Duluth for about two years. Lake Superior is awesome! Too cold to swim in.....even in the summertime LOL.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
midnighthunder89

i swim in it you just have to jump in wait for your body to numb up then it is great
chapstickaddict

Re: (jake75)

True and true. I have zero desire to pay that much for gas, as hp isn't a priority for me. And I drove both the FWD and AWD and honestly I liked the way the AWD handled in our post 14-inch-in-20-hours snowstorm conditions. I understand that a FWD with good snow tires works great, but I loved how the AWD handled. I test drove that $6500 Vibe and it was IMMACULATE. Basically its like their 4th car or something and its just used for errands and such. Anyway, they don't want to move lower than that, so I'll have to just pay off some stuff, go to the bank, and see what they'll give me. The 03 Vibe with 124,000 and the appropriate options kbb's for 6,040 in excellent condition. I guess I'll see what the credit union will give me and if it's not enough, I'll have to search around.. Also wanted to add, I don't drive manual. I learned when I was 17 on a crap mustang and haven't since. I'm comfortable with an auto trans, and the difference in mpg isn't enough to convert me that quickly. Even with an auto trans and AWD, the Vibe would get waaaaaaay more gas mileage than Lucille, so it's a win either way.
seb0168

Re: (chapstickaddict)

Post by seb0168 »

Your story sounds like mine!I'm a starving college student and I was looking for a dependable car a while back. I found an '03 Vibe with 113K miles on it, and the person selling it wanted $6500 for it. I also knew that was a bit over the bluebook value, but the car was in like-new shape. The guy selling it was a salesman that drove it all over the place, mostly on the highway, and he had all maintenance records. The car ran better than the newer Vibes I had test driven. Now it's almost two years later and I couldn't be happier! I looked at a couple of other Vibes that were cheaper, newer, and had less miles, but they hadn't been maintained well at all. My Vibe may be seven years old, but I haven't had to do anything to it besides regular maintenance. It just passed 131K miles and it's running strong. Keep in mind that the engine, etc. is Toyota and will run a long time if maintained well. I may have spent a little more than I should have on the car (did I mention it has nice rims? I use that to justify it lol), but it's been worth it. It gets 35mpg on the highway and runs great.So basically, I say GO FOR IT!
2009 Vibe GT

2003 Vibe RIP