in a rut

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
joatmon

in a rut

Post by joatmon »

This time last year I hit a deer with the vibe, and it's been repaired but it's rutting season again and I'm seeing a lot of deer/car aftermath on the roads. For those of us who live and drive in places where (removed) crazed deer might try to demonstrate their suitability for mating by jumping onto the road, keep an eye out for the horny devils, especially around sunset/twilight
lovemyraffe

Re: in a rut (joatmon)

Post by lovemyraffe »

ROFL! I agree, please be careful.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

good timing with the warning! at my 8am class, my instructor arrived a bit late to administer our exam because she hit a deer on the way to school. for those folks in northern oakland county, there will be 1 less deer to worry about.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
psiu

Re: in a rut (Zimm)

Post by psiu »

They are getting slaughtered on 23 between 96 and Flint.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon » the horny devilsPun intended?
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
jkm311

Re: in a rut (Zimm)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by Zimm »good timing with the warning! at my 8am class, my instructor arrived a bit late to administer our exam because she hit a deer on the way to school. for those folks in northern oakland county, there will be 1 less deer to worry about.Sounds like the Oakland County Sheriff "huntin'" debate will fire up again! Glad I'm mostly a city driver nowadays. Although, a deer somehow found its way into my 30 ft. wide excuse for a Royal Oak backyard last year.
Steelies to the rescue.
Zimm

Re: in a rut (jkm311)

Post by Zimm »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Sounds like the Oakland County Sheriff "huntin'" debate will fire up again! Glad I'm mostly a city driver nowadays. Although, a deer somehow found its way into my 30 ft. wide excuse for a Royal Oak backyard last year. wow, the urban wildlife is spreading! my neighborhood gained a hawk this summer. the neighborhood cats run for cover when he gets chatty!
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
bull77

Post by bull77 »

funny you should say this -- yesterday on my way to work i had to drop off a xmas letter...when I caught up with the cars that had passed me --- one of them had hit a deer
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Rooster Pheasant on 21 and VanDyke today in Utica. *shrugs shoulders*
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Just took a road trip up to Pittsburgh (about 2 1/2 hours, I-77 north to 70 east) and it was an absolute bloodbath. I've never seen so many exploded deer in such a short stretch.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
star_deceiver

Re: in a rut (bodhi_tree777)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 » I've never seen so many exploded deer in such a short stretch. Mmmm tasty...Don't see too many of them around here... but there was one splattered on the road the other day!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

i love the title of this thread.
http://
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

I've noticed you almost NEVER hit the deer you see. You hit the deer who is at a full gallop in the woods and bursts out of the forest to cross the road at the exact same instant you are occupying that piece of highway!!!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jake75

Re: in a rut (djkeev)

Post by jake75 »

In Ohio, and probably most states, it is illegal to sell "wildlife". I guess the theory is that the state owns it and lets you hunt it under their very strict regulations. Some guys got into big trouble recently making deer sausage from deer they legally had hunted and selling it. Your options are only to eat it yourself or give it to a charity. As a practical matter we have so darn many deer around here that they are a not only a nuisance but a threat to life and limb. The state ought to lift any limits and encourage the sale of deer meat. Maybe we could even use deer meat to lower food costs in our prisons.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »This time last year I hit a deer with the vibe ...tonight, driving home from work, at the exact spot where I hit that deer two years ago, a flash of tan and WHUMP. This time, however, I didn't hit the deer, it hit me. I was going 50 mph,and the thing hit the side of my Vibe, the leading edge of the rear passenger wheel well. Sucker had to have timed it just right. As far as I can tell, no damage to the Vibe. I didn't stop to check on how the (removed) crazed deer came out of the encounter.So be careful out there, it's that time of year again.
kramer

Post by kramer »

yup thats what took mine outta the game

Attached files
goodVIBErations 07 vibe saved from DOOM
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Yikes I'm so glad I never hit a deer, although I've had a few near misses. Never understood why deer would run across the street from a point behind the car only to run in front of it!This year on I-476 (Blue Route) in the construction zone, a deer managed to find its way into the center of the highway to get hit by some vehicle in the "Express" Lane.
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
joatmon

Re: in a rut

Post by joatmon »

that time of year again ...
vit

Post by vit »

joatmon wrote:that time of year again ...
Yup. Here is the data... http://www.statefarm.com/aboutus/_press ... -again.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FootScoot

Post by FootScoot »

Trouble is you never know where they are going to be. I've seen them running down the streets around here. Not only deer, but possum, racoons, skunks, and assorted other wild life. What's really getting bad are coyotes. I guess the drought this year has forced them into town. Beware! :shock:
Old slot racer. 2009 Vibe GT owner
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Yeah deer get stupid this time of year!! I'm praying with driving so far on back highways to school and back every day that nothing comes of it, or at least that its not MY car when it does happen...lol. Rut really heats up the week after halloween around here, and this is my week to drive. If I make it through this week.. I can pass the buck on to one of the other girls.. :roll: :lol:
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

joatmon wrote:This time, however, I didn't hit the deer, it hit me. I was going 50 mph,and the thing hit the side of my Vibe, the leading edge of the rear passenger wheel well. Sucker had to have timed it just right. As far as I can tell, no damage to the Vibe.
My wife just got t-boned by a deer in her brand new car, 6000 miles on it. Minor dents and creases, but now i have to do body work and spray paint before the deep freeze. I swear she hits one every year, and like you this deer hit her. Crazy dumb dumbs.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Flip-Side wrote:
joatmon wrote:This time, however, I didn't hit the deer, it hit me. I was going 50 mph,and the thing hit the side of my Vibe, the leading edge of the rear passenger wheel well. Sucker had to have timed it just right. As far as I can tell, no damage to the Vibe.
My wife just got t-boned by a deer in her brand new car, 6000 miles on it. Minor dents and creases, but now i have to do body work and spray paint before the deep freeze. I swear she hits one every year, and like you this deer hit her. Crazy dumb dumbs.

Are you back in MI now or no?

.270 Encore and .300 Win Mag Browning are all ready for the season this year...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

Yep, been back for a while but the wife had the vibe and I had several other vehicles that I liked less. ;)

Been nice seeing a lot of the original genvibe crew after years gone. I drive a matrix now, but hey...deer do not discriminate right?
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Canker

Post by Canker »

We need more wolves :)
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

This morning pre-dawn, being tailgated down a winding country road by a jacked up pickup truck with a bunch of extra super bright fog lights, come around a bend, and there's a doe standing in the middle of the road looking stupid. I was able to stop, the truck behind me stopped (after veering into a corn field). The deer looked at me, shrugged it's shoulders, and ambled off the other side of the road unimpressed. Other driver was ok, a little shook up, but didn't seem the type to learn and change his driving habits.

Guess it's that time of year again
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdApyFlf6DU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Mark

Post by Mark »

If you think deer are stupid you have no idea, they're downright rocket surgeons compared to pronghorns.

I've had two vehicles actually run into by antelope. One hit a Corolla I had at fairly low speed and caused a few hundred in repairs, mainly the driver side window. The other ran into the driver door on my truck and caused about $2500 in damage. And then this past spring another one charged my headlight early one morning on the truck, another $2500 repair.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Dear are not stupid, but they cannot deal with the "animals that have big bright eyes" = cars. On the other hand most people don't understand the deer and their herd-instincts.
They move in groups (dens). They will send out a vanguard to check if the open area (road) is safe. As animals that rather flee than fight they developed a strategy of head fakes. You think you could go just around the rear and that dear turns 180 degrees and takes out your headlight. Quite possibly the deer wanted to protect the den by luring you away. It looks stupid but it has been only about 100 years that they had to deal with that new kind of "animal" that is the motor car. They had 10000 to 20000 years to adapt to four legged predators.
I observed the deer in our area when walking the dog. I let him off the leash and he enjoys making them run. When he gets close enough and speeds up two deer that stand close to each other will cross their ways and run in opposite directions. That confuses the predator and make him decide which one to follow. As a result both get away and the rest of the den was never in danger.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

vibrologist wrote: They move in groups (dens). They will send out a vanguard to check if the open area (road) is safe. As animals that rather flee than fight they developed a strategy of head fakes. You think you could go just around the rear and that dear turns 180 degrees and takes out your headlight. Quite possibly the deer wanted to protect the den by luring you away. It looks stupid but it has been only about 100 years that they had to deal with that new kind of "animal" that is the motor car. They had 10000 to 20000 years to adapt to four legged predators.
I observed the deer in our area when walking the dog. I let him off the leash and he enjoys making them run. When he gets close enough and speeds up two deer that stand close to each other will cross their ways and run in opposite directions. That confuses the predator and make him decide which one to follow. As a result both get away and the rest of the den was never in danger.
Very true, I was on a backroad the other day and came around a bend to see a pickup on the opposite side of the road on the shoulder, he flashed his highbeams at me twice and i figured something was up. Sure enough as i slowed to a stop, one deer bolted right in front of me, I waited, as did the truck, and about 5 more deer came running across the road between us. If you see one deer, assume there are more with it!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Getting to be that time again. The devils played hell on my garden this year.

Perhaps fewer car strikes this season, as unfortunately, a lot fewer people are commuting than in normal years
Mark

Post by Mark »

Out here it's pronghorn antelope, they're everywhere this time of year. In my yard, in my driveway, on the roads, everywhere. And they're remarkably stupid animals that don't just run in front of your car, they'll run straight into the side of it as well.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

joatmon wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 pm Getting to be that time again. The devils played hell on my garden this year.

Perhaps fewer car strikes this season, as unfortunately, a lot fewer people are commuting than in normal years
I see deer in the industrial park where I work. They are usually out in the morning, going back to their "den". There are a TON of them in my sub division now since the creek behind our house was cleaned out for water run off easements. As more and more young deer are born in urban areas, the less they fear people and cars. These beauties were in my neighbor's yard at 5:30pm. I was maybe 20 feet from them and I had my two dogs with me. The deer could not have cared less. They later sauntered across the road to another yard and did not care about the approaching cars.

We have lots of coyotes now too. That does not seem to stop the growth of the deer herds though. The coyotes seem to prefer the rabbits, squirrels, house cats and small dogs over the fawns.
Attachments
0916201756c.jpg
0916201756c.jpg (854.39 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

HEY: get away from my 2020 Crosstrek !!

Deer tried to hitchhike with me in my 626 and nearly made it into the passenger's seat. Destroyed most of the car. Then my 2 week old Maxx was rammed by a deer in West Virginia. Driving home with a dented hood, I passed many killing fields as scores of deer performed their suicide pact the night before.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Caretaker wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:08 am HEY: get away from my 2020 Crosstrek !!
My neighbor, James, has a pretty nice vehicle set up. That's his wife's Crosstrek. He drives a three year old GTI. He also built up a '38 Ford pickup that he stuck a 302 cid in. The "old" Ford is what stays in their garage. They are good people too.

Sorry to hear about your hitchhiker. How rude of that deer just barging in. My wife's family is mostly in WV, in the southern part near Beckley. My wife's father lived on top of a mountain in Pax. We have been up their scores of times but I can honestly say that I have not had a deer encounter there. I know that the deer are there because one of my brother-in-laws used to give us some venison roasts and venison jerky about this time every year.
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

KingKrab65 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:30 am My wife's family is mostly in WV, in the southern part near Beckley. My wife's father lived on top of a mountain in Pax. We have been up their scores of times but I can honestly say that I have not had a deer encounter there.
Wow, no kidding. I didn't think I was going to make it out of Davis, WV alive ! My dad and I used to string them up in our garage as the racoons circled around us. We'd then put the heads (face up) at the top of the garbage can to get a good laugh when the garbage men would lift up the lid and jump 6 feet. Good times.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

apparently deer are afraid of Vibes, this article has a video of a deer leaping clean over a parked vibe

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/11/de ... ado-video/
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

joatmon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:11 am apparently deer are afraid of Vibes, this article has a video of a deer leaping clean over a parked vibe

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/11/de ... ado-video/
I've seen that video probably a dozen times now over the last week, and never once realized it was a Vibe the deer jumped over. Btw, you should post this in the "Vibes in the news" thread.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport