Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
DuluthVibe2009

Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob!

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

As many 2009-2010 Vibe owners know, the volume/tune knobs on the radios have been a problem. If you are under warranty you can get it fixed (refurbed radio under warranty).However, if your like me you are out of warranty. The knobs do not simply pull off like most cars. The faceplate holds the knobs in place. So, I decided to pick up a cheap used radio from a 2009 vibe off of ebay and try and fix it myself. My original radio was in better shape than the used one hence the reason I didn't just put the used radio in the car. All in all it was far easier than I thought it would be!First, be very careful. The job includes removing a number of small screws on the radio itself and trust me, there tiny! I won't go into detail on removing the radio from the car as it's pretty easy. Pop off the trim panel (there are no screws), unhook the hazard button and the passenger seat belt light (one wire on each. They pop of easy). Then there are four screws holding the radio in. After that there is the antenna wire and two harness sets going in the back of the radio. The antenna lead is a bit of a push in and pull kinda' thing. Do be careful with the top of the trim panel! The top hook is kind of "J" shaped and could break easy. You need to lift up on the bottom of the trim and "lift and pull".Ok, now the fun begins:-) On the sides of the radio there are four screws. Simply remove them. After that there are two clips on the top and two more on the bottom of the front bezel as it attaches to the rest of the radio. Be careful and pry the front face plate off. As you pull the front face off you will see one wire attaching the face to the radio. This just pops off. Now the front face should be free of the rest of the radio. On the back side of the face plate you will see about 12 very tiny screws holding the electrical board in. These are a a pain to remove and you are dealing with the board so take you time and be careful. Once these are out the board (witch is what the knobs are attached to) will simply pop out. At this point you can simply take off the broken knob and replace it with one from a used radio that you take apart in the same fashion. The volume and tune knobs are the same so if you buy a used radio you will have a spare knob. When putting the face plate back together you need to make sure that the four plastic "plungers" on the backside of the seek/scan buttons stay in place. These like to fall out.At this point reverse the process and enjoy your fixed radio! I found the plastic inside the knob was broken causing the knob to just spin. No loose glue as many have speculated. If I can figure out how, I will be attaching a series of photos that I hope explain all of this. It took me about an hour to fix mine. Having now done it once, I could probably do it all again in about a half hour from beginning to end. It sounds harder than it is. If you can get a used radio for cheap ($60 in my case) it sure beats paying a dealer to fix it or buying a brand new radio if your out of warranty. Hope this helps!

Attached files
DuluthVibe2009

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (DuluthVibe2009)

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

Another photo...

Attached files
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

photo 3

Attached files
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

photo 4

Attached files
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! Hopefully the abuse my wife gives the radio won't be terminal...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

photo 5

Attached files
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

photo 6

Attached files
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

photo 7. The "plungers" on the back side of the seek/scan buttons.

Attached files
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

photo 8. The inside of the broken knob.

Attached files
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Nice writeup ! I have yet to experience this problem, but I know it will help out many others here that have.Just out of curiousity, do you think it would be possible to just put some adhesive on the knobs and get them to work properly? This would obviously be a much cheaper fix than buying a used radio.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

You probably could try glue. My only worry about that would be making a mess out of the pegs the knobs go on to then having an issue down the road. But it could be worth a try.
vibenvy

Re: (DuluthVibe2009)

Post by vibenvy »

I guess if I have this problem down the road, I will try some glue first before getting a used radio, but definitely a great writeup for sure . Thanks again !
areles

Post by areles »

Excellent write-up! Thanks also for the pictures!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

How strange that the knobs break this way - the radio knob has to be about the most un-stressed part in the entire car!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
star_deceiver

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »The radio knob has to be about the most un-stressed part in the entire car!You've obviously never seen an irate wife hammering on the buttons and knobs when her horribly scratched cd starts skipping...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
wt2ga

Post by wt2ga »

THE Fixed mine ..... Great write - up ....
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I had my radio replaced because of the Volume knob. What do you thing about removing a good radio knob and reinforcing it with Epoxy inside the shell of the knob? Being that you had a look inside the knob and how it is fitted to the control, can this be done?Thank you
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

It could be done. However, if you look at your knob at night you will notice how the light kind of shines through. The light emits from behind the knob. Putting to much glue or anything else in there might block the light. But in terms of it just reinforcing the knob it would probably work.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Good point... I drive very little at night, I forgot and never thought about the light from within the knob. Do you know or did anyone say if the replacement knob are of stronger material or improved design? I have less then a year remaining on my 3 year warranty. If it breaks again, it will be the day after....right?I am never going to push on/off the knob again, just turn the volume down and up only and leave the radio on.
DuluthVibe2009

Post by DuluthVibe2009 »

Haven't heard anything about an updated knob of any kind. After seeing how it breaks the only advice I would give is to not push it to hard or turn it real fast. Just go easy on it and it should be fine. I have to admit, before mine broke I probably had a habit of turning the volume up and down kind of fast. It still shouldn't have been enough to break it but it is what it is.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

I was going to have mine fixed by the dealer along with a couple other stuffs but been lagging it. They said they need my car overnight to fix the things so I need to find a dealer that gives free loaners lol
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
Gadabout

Post by Gadabout »

I used 5 minute epoxy to fasten the broken knob back onto the post(very carefully). I followed the steps and got the radio out, and the broken knob out of there. Then I filled the bottom half of the knob with quick setting epoxy and held the knob straight on the post until the glue set. I had to hold the entire assembly upside down until the glue set, so the glue didn't drain down onto the radio. It sounds a little dangerous, but it worked. Just be careful with the epoxy.The hardest part was getting those 12 little screws out of that circuit board. I had no socket small enough, so I used a good pair of thin, flat blade pliers.
jake75

Re: (Gadabout)

Post by jake75 »

Six months left on my 3/36 warranty - only 11,700 miles in 2,5 years. If (or when) my knob breaks I think I will opt for a different aftermarket radio. Don't drive that much, and often don't even listen to the radio so maybe I will not face this issue. In the meantime I will try to take it easy on the knobs.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
papacueball

Post by papacueball »

Mine broke sitting on a shelf. I only used it for about a month and it was perfectly fine when i took the factory radio out.
2009 Vibe GT - Carbon Gray Metallic - 5 sp. manualClarion-Sundown-Pioneer-Vifa-H Audio-Dayton-SDS
DrummerBoy

Re: (papacueball)

Post by DrummerBoy »

Mine has broken twice. The radio was barely ever used and treated very carefully. I think the hot weather caused mine to break, since all was fine until the hottest weather started. Either way, these radio knobs are defective, regardless of what GM claims is a very isolated problem, and no record of complaints about it,
crazyray2

Post by crazyray2 »

GM now has a replacement knob. Just got it from where I bought car. Cost 6.95. Have not replaced yet; just found this site. Dealership want 106.00 for labor to replace.
file014

Post by file014 »

I was thinkin...what about trying to find a suitable replacement at radio shack or something. Then it would be easier to change if it breaks again. Wait. If there was a replacement, it probably wouldnt break...
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

This just happened to my 09 Vibe, and of course I'm out of warranty. Good to hear that you can purchase a replacement knob. I'm just not sure I want to risk screwing up my radio trying to make the fix when the steering wheel controls are working just fine....
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

Ace Barker

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (crazyray2)

Post by Ace Barker »

Would you have a part the GM number please? Will order a few.ThanksAce...
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!
vibenvy

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (Ace Barker)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Ace Barker »Would you have a part the GM number please? Will order a few.#19204643
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

I bought several. I was thinking about sanding/dremelling the lip of the knob so that it can be removed without removing the whole radio to do so. At $6 a knob at my local dealer, I can spare one or two to try
crazyray2

Post by crazyray2 »

I just fixed my wife's 2009 Vibe following these instructions. I bought knob GM# 19204643 from my Pontiac dealer. Cost 6.95. Instructions are good. I would add a couple of hints. 1) the 12 screws on the back plate are six sided. I thank it takes a 3mm socket (most sets only go to 4mm) I used pliers to remove when I couldn't find the right socket in my town(small)a mini wrench set similar to the mini screwdriver set would work. When I put back the 12 screws I had computer screws and replaced the 12 screws with philliphead screws, much quicker. 2) When you are pulling the wire off the the face plate (red/black wire) be extremely careful. It did not come off easy; and when I pulled with enough force, it bent the prongs ( the plug slipped on). When I straighten them, they broke off!! Doomed I thought! Soldered them back on; it worked.3) When you put the radio back in, make sure that the to wires that plug to the grey trim are on top of the radio so you can get to them easy. If you don't, you have to take the radio out again to get to the wires. Should be a 30 min job if nothing goes wrong. If not 1/2 a day like me.
frankiemenz

Post by frankiemenz »

Hi Vibe owners, just did this repair today, not a bad job, those dam screws that hold on the board really stink. Once those were out and back in the rest of the job is easy. I did the 6.95 deal too, I bought 2 just in case, I have an extra, don't know how long these will be available. If this ever happens to you and ya can't find a knob then e-mail me or pm me.----Frank
trb

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (frankiemenz)

Post by trb »

First off, thanks for this thread! The 2010 Vibe I just bought has a broken knob, and if my dealer can't fix it under warranty, I'll do it myself. I called to check on the part, and the former Pontiac dealer did not have one, but they told me the Chevy dealer down the street had 13 of them in stock! Must be a pretty common item to break, and obviously Chevys use the same part.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
trask

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (trb)

Post by trask »

I did the repair and it was not that fun. I had a tuff time getting the wire off the face plate and was careful but the prongs still broke off, so you may have a soldering job included in the repair. I found the other good working button was also getting ready to fail, so glad I got two knobs. I think I am going to upgrade and dump this unit, this knob thing really sucks.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
Vilnis

Post by Vilnis »

Call me crazy but I think GM should pay for the replacements - including labor- do a recall:1) Car radio buttons were pretty much mastered 50 or more years ago - they usually outlast the cars they're in. Mine also mysteriously went from working fine to spinning without effect after I left it parked for a week while on a trip.2) If they're going to put a sh***y knob on the radio, at least make it removable like a normal car radio knob - why the hell is it necessary to require 10 or more difficult and time consuming steps to remove a lousy radio knob?
Vilnis

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (Vilnis)

Post by Vilnis »

Beware: I was about to get a new Alpine radio (~$200 installed) when I was informed that it would be about another $130 to get a new harness to accommodate all the extra stuff that's inextricably tied to the radio - even if you don't care about keeping access to OnStar. All to avoid what should cost $6.95 (or free - GM - are you listening?) and about 10 minute's work.
trb

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob! (Vilnis)

Post by trb »

I finally got around to fixing my radio knob, and only spent like 15 min on it! Tools I used: I took journeyforce's idea on here and cut off the flat retaining tab on the back of the new knob with some wire cutters and used a piece of sandpaper to smooth down the edge so it is pretty flush with the rest of the knob. Then I took to removing the broken knob. First I tried my wire cutters again, but was not getting far, so I used my coping saw to cut the face of the knob across in a couple of places as you can see in the pic below. It made a bit of a mess on the console, but that will be cleaned up later. I then used the wire cutters to cut and remove the top part of the knob in the pic above. I had to cut and pull and break it a bit, but it came free. Then I cut away at the bottom part that was left in the radio, chipping away pieces of the plastic, being careful not to damage the face of the radio. Once I got much of the bottom of the knob removed on one side, I was able to grab it with the wire cutters again, and break the plastic on the cut down side, through the remainder of the knob. Then I was able to pull it out of the opening. Next I had to remove the metal ring that holds the knob to the radio shaft. That took the wire cutters again on the metal ring and I was able to pull it off the shaft. It took a bit of force, but it finally came off. Then the new knob was able to slide right in place.Now if it breaks again, the knob will just fall off the shaft. And I can easily cut down a new knob and install it after removing the metal band from the shaft again.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
trask

Post by trask »

After disassembling the head unit and knowing the knobs are going to fail again, I believe for me, this would have been a better way to go, all because of that stupid flange on the back of the knob. Seeing your fix though I wonder if a Dremel tool with a cutting blade would have helped.Kenwood KDC-X995
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Dear Mr. TRB:Did you say that you cut out and removed the old knob without removing the radio or disassemble the face?Do you have a good picture of a new knob as viewed from the backside? (ie: looking into the hole of the knob) I like to see how it was molded to outside face. Also where were the breaking points of the plastic as was when it broke?I like your idea of removing the knob's flange. Does the backlighting bleed through around the knob with the flange removed?
xenictime

Re: Fixed my 2009 Gt broken radio knob!

Post by xenictime »

I finally got around to fixing my radio knob
Thanks trb - I like this direct approach. My power knob is spinning 95% of the time and I know it's gioing to need attention right away. Or whenever it totally fails. I'll try and follow up after I do it, which will certainly wait until I get down to the Chevy dealer for a replacement, Pontiac RIP. Did you have any real difficulty in the final breaking and removal of the old knob?
trb

Post by trb »

Sorry ParknVibe, missed your questions. I basically cut the curved lip so it is flush and the side of the knob is flat. Someone else on here suggested that idea. And yes, the backlighting does show through around the knob a bit, but it does not bother me. If I replace it again, I will use my belt sander to sand away the curved lip until it will just barely clear the radio opening. That will reduce the backlighting a bit.

And as for removing the old knob, I just had to keep cutting away at it with my cutters until I got it down far enough that I could use the needle nose pliers to break it. Main thing is to be careful and not pry against the radio face. After I finished it up I noticed that I did put a couple of nicks in the radio face, but nothing major.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
XSarge

Post by XSarge »

Thanks for the help.
Sorry, don't have time to read all the posts to see if anyone has posted the info before.
OEM 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe Radio Control Knob Switch Button is available on line for less than $17.00 including shipping. Plan to replace it today as I promised the dealership for the trade-in on Saturday. Time to get something a little more comfy for the 110+ miles a day I drive. Thank you everyone for all the info and help. But Buick Regal here I come!

Take care all!

Don
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

XSarge wrote:Thanks for the help.
Sorry, don't have time to read all the posts to see if anyone has posted the info before.
OEM 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe Radio Control Knob Switch Button is available on line for less than $17.00 including shipping. Plan to replace it today as I promised the dealership for the trade-in on Saturday. Time to get something a little more comfy for the 110+ miles a day I drive. Thank you everyone for all the info and help. But Buick Regal here I come!

Take care all!

Don
Did you get it fixed? Enjoy your new Regal ;)!
XSarge

Post by XSarge »

Yep, got it fixed like new thanks to this thread. Traded it in today. Hopefully it will find a good home.
And thank you. The Regal is sweet. You should take one for a test ride for the heck of it.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

XSarge wrote:Yep, got it fixed like new thanks to this thread. Traded it in today. Hopefully it will find a good home.
And thank you. The Regal is sweet. You should take one for a test ride for the heck of it.
Glad to hear you got it fixed ;)!

If I test drive anything, it will be a Lexus CT 200h :D!
JPR939

Post by JPR939 »

Thanks! It works great! ...and I got 4 winter tires for free : I just bought the Vibe (2010, 23000 miles) and when I told to the salesman that I agree to repair the radio (instead to replace it by an other one), he offered me 4 winter tires that he got from the previous owner of the Vibe.
finebead

Post by finebead »

Gadabout wrote:I used 5 minute epoxy to fasten the broken knob back onto the post(very carefully). I followed the steps and got the radio out, and the broken knob out of there. Then I filled the bottom half of the knob with quick setting epoxy and held the knob straight on the post until the glue set. I had to hold the entire assembly upside down until the glue set, so the glue didn't drain down onto the radio. It sounds a little dangerous, but it worked. Just be careful with the epoxy.The hardest part was getting those 12 little screws out of that circuit board. I had no socket small enough, so I used a good pair of thin, flat blade pliers.
I used this technique and fixed mine (2009 Vibe) today. The antenna wire was hard to get off with your hands, I had to use pliers to pull it off. I thought if I get another defective weak part it will break, and I like epoxy, so I went that route. I think the repair could be stronger than an original part that has proven itself too weak. So far so good. Loctite set in less than 5 min., you have very little time to work it.

Thanks to deluth for the great pics, and to Gadabout for a good idea!!!
AllWheelVibe

Post by AllWheelVibe »

[quote="DuluthVibe2009"]As many 2009-2010 Vibe owners know, the volume/tune knobs on the radios have been a problem. ...

DuluthVibe2009 -- YOU ROCK!!! That is the most awesome and useful post!! Thank you SO much!
I followed these instructions and the fix was super easy.
Those 12 screws on the printed circuit board came off pretty easily with a hex driver I had so it was not too bad.
I did mess up in that the replacement knobs came with the metal band around the knob shaft, and when replacing them, I accidentally left the metal band on from the previous knob on. So when I put it all back together, the knobs did not slide down low enough onto the shaft. Ooops. Easily fixed though.
I had purchased 2 knobs from ebay seller jetson519 and they arrived very quickly and were just about $6 each.

Cheers,
Dave
Viber09

Post by Viber09 »

These are awesome instructions and helped me fix our radio. Thanks! I wish I had found them before I bought the replacement knob from a dealer who said I could “pop-off” the cover section over the broken knob with a flat head screw driver. Oops, I guess not. Left a little scratch.
Vibe-Radio-3-480.jpg
Vibe-Radio-3-480.jpg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 111421 times
We wanted blue-tooth anyway so we bought a replacement Clarion CX501 that installed perfectly with an $80 harness. Now I have our factory radio for sale if anyone wants it? $100? Oh, Both knobs work great now! :)
Vibe-Radio-5-640.jpg
Vibe-Radio-5-640.jpg (162.45 KiB) Viewed 111421 times