personal best

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ramenboy...

personal best

Post by ramenboy... »

i loves my vibe. so had to take a drive down south to cicero indiana this weekend to pick up an engine for the triumph. round trip the vibe did a personal best of 37mpg. very respectable!just before i got home, i through a cell. at about 157k miles, this is the first time, the vibe has ever done that. stopped off at o'reilly's, picked up some maf cleaner and 20 minutes later, no more CEL. at least not for the last couple days. woohooanyways, i know there's threads all over the place on everyone's mpg... but what's the best you guys are getting lately?
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
jkm311

Re: personal best (ramenboy...)

Post by jkm311 »

Glad you hit 37! And that's with a motorcycle engine in the back? How heavy was that?! With my base engine and auto tranny, I'm always 30+ on the highway. Even on trips, loaded with luggage, pets, etc. And the occasional pedal to the floor to get around some jack a$$e$ or trucks that refuse to let me merge... I'd like to think with keeping up on my oil changes, keeping my K&N filter in good shape, running injector cleaner every so often and buying gas from reputable businesses, I am capable of around 37 without anything but me along for the ride. And no hills...
Steelies to the rescue.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

28 MPG combined city/hwy. 38 psi on all tires & I run a drop in K&N. Use criuise whenever I can. Havent done an all highway trip without the car being packed with people or luggage. I think 28 is respectable but I would like better!
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

My best ever was 30 mpg, but was not completely highway. Someday I'd like to take a long drive and see what it might get, but probably would take the Honda Accord because it gets better mpg (got 41 mpg once).
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »what's the best you guys are getting lately?Low 30's BUT I really haven't had a chance to really put it to the test yet When I make the trip to Indy I'll have some concrete numbers to post. I think I'll take it easy in the morning for the trip there, then "beat feet" and push it a bit harder on the way home later. I just received my ScanGauge 2 the other week and it is an awesome little tool monitoring EVERYTHING. It will help me maximize my efficiency driving on long trips
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

My best was just under 30mpg (29.9) with 90% highway driving, but the cargo area full of luggage and gear, and we were driving at Michelle speeds (80+mph..... hey the speed limit was 75 so it's not as bad as it looks!)MPGs are going up again now that the tires are refilled to where they are supposed to be... wow imagine that! Averaging 27-29pmg mixed driving, got a longggggggggg highway drive this coming weekend (Chicago IL to Evansville IN) and we're gonna see how it does then- on the way down with a pretty empty car, and on the way back up with the car full of assorted "stuff"
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

My best was 34, unpacked, just me driving, all highway.. But got 29-30 with my car loaded with luggage and 3 other passenger besides myself all highway again.. This is all in a 09 GT.
lovemyraffe

Re: (09vGT)

Post by lovemyraffe »

37 would be nice. I drove to Vegas yesterday into a huge headwind and was surprised to get 21 mpg. Normally I get 33-36.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
oriden

Post by oriden »

avrage bettween 37-39 mpg with my daily drive beeing about 20km of highway each way
vibolista

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by vibolista »

That's a long drive from Cedar City to Vegas. Beautiful drive though... but a head wind to knock you down to 21 mpg mush have been roaring! I haven't been through there since 1988. Lots of changes, I'm sure. I know that I couldn't believe the growth out there along I 15 back then.I put my summers on at the end of April... and this last tank has only been used for commuting duty. Our weather has been incredible, with temperatures in the upper 60s and lower 70s and no rain. So the Vibe sits outside with 398 miles on the trip odometer since the last fill up... and and not much left in the gas tank. I'll have to drive 6 miles to the gas station to fill up so it will be the first time I've gone over 400 miles on a tank. Have days off today and Tuesday, so I'll do a fill up tomorrow afternoon and compute the mpgs. Should be a big one, I hope. Will report.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
lovemyraffe

Re: (vibolista)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »That's a long drive from Cedar City to Vegas. Beautiful drive though... but a head wind to knock you down to 21 mpg mush have been roaring! I haven't been through there since 1988. Lots of changes, I'm sure. I know that I couldn't believe the growth out there along I 15 back then. Cedar City to Vegas is only 175 miles, 2 1/2 hours.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
vibolista

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by vibolista »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »Cedar City to Vegas is only 175 miles, 2 1/2 hours.Hahahaha!!! I lived "out west for 15 years, and remember well when 2 1/2 hours was just a short drive... "only 175 miles"! How soon I forget. 175 miles here in New England could put you through 4 or 5 states if you planned it right! During our stint up in Northwest Montana, we would go to the "big city" of Spokane for a few days 2 to 3 times a year... school clothes shopping for the kids, Christmas shopping or even to look at a deal on a car... and sometimes just for entertainment and a touch of "civilization" (all I could take of that, was about 3 days or so a year )... and that trip was only 4 to 5 hours one way... depending on route taken and weather! Ah, the wide open West! Must admit, though, I do miss it.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

28-30mpg....the 20s go farther than the odometer says i'm going so....And that's 80% hwy miles.
vibenvy

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by vibenvy »

That's awesome Jerry! I got 33.9 mpg on my trip from Sandwich to the Wisconsin Dells and back this past weekend! I was going 65-70 (speed limit was 65) depending on traffic the entire way. I used the cruise control probably 98% of the way there and back. I barely even had to touch the gas or brake pedal which was really nice. My feet actually fell asleep . People were passing me left and right, but I wanted to see what kind of gas mileage I could get so I was bound and determined to take my sweet time . I had the cargo area filled with stuff, but nothing was too heavy so there wasn't too much extra weight back there. I drove there and back on one tank of 89 octane gas from the local Citgo we always get gas at. 89 octane is actually they're lowest grade gas, whereas most places it's 87 octane. We always get gas there and have always had good luck with it. By the way, for anyone that doesn't know, this is an '09 GT with the K&N Typhoon intake. I would say the driving was 98% highway because I didn't even drive a total of 10 miles around the Dells because everything was so close together. Not bad at all in my opinion, considering I average 27-29 driving 50% city / 50% highway on a regular basis. I also had the windows down as opposed to using the air conditioning or anything. Speaking of gas mileage, for anyone that hasn't already, check out MPGTune. It's a neat site where you can keep track of your gas mileage. There's only a few Vibes on there so join and help us represent !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Best is 39mpg.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Bastranz

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by Bastranz »

These MPGs are amazing! How are you guys measuring your mpg, though? I've been doing simple mathematic calculations using the gas station receipt and what my trip odometers says I drove, but it seems like the less gas I have in the tank at fill-up, the more MPG I receive.
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
tpollauf

Re: (Bastranz)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »These MPGs are amazing! How are you guys measuring your mpg, though? I've been doing simple mathematic calculations using the gas station receipt and what my trip odometers says I drove, but it seems like the less gas I have in the tank at fill-up, the more MPG I receive.It's simple math Simply at fill-ups top the tank off COMPLETELY, record tank/trip mileage, then you have results Like J to Envy mentioned above, log your results into a site as this http://www.mpgtune.com/user-pr...earch and over time you'll start to see patterns & results of REAL driving.This is the page containing all the Vibes. I have all three of my vehicles entered of which one of them is a 2009 Vibe GT. Could use a few more Vibes on this site

ramenboy...

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I got 33.9 mpg on my trip from Sandwich to the Wisconsin Dells and back this past weekend...thanx carr! yours is pretty impressive, too, considering its the 2.4. actually, i'll be putting the short ram back in this weekend... we'll see what happens then these cars just keep rollin...Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Glad you hit 37! And that's with a motorcycle engine in the back? How heavy was that?! thanx! yeah the engine wasn't too bad. i'd say about 100lbs at the most, so its like having another passenger. to tell you the truth, i had room for a couple more in there! vibes are cool like that
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
vibenvy

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »These MPGs are amazing! How are you guys measuring your mpg, though? I've been doing simple mathematic calculations using the gas station receipt and what my trip odometers says I drove, but it seems like the less gas I have in the tank at fill-up, the more MPG I receive.Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »It's simple math Simply at fill-ups top the tank off COMPLETELY, record tank/trip mileage, then you have results Like J to Envy mentioned above, log your results into a site as this http://www.mpgtune.com/user-pr...earch and over time you'll start to see patterns & results of REAL driving.This is the page containing all the Vibes. I have all three of my vehicles entered of which one of them is a 2009 Vibe GT. Could use a few more Vibes on this site Yep, it's that easy! Take my last fillup for example:The number of gallons used was: 10.789The mileage on the trip odometer was: 366.5You simply divide the miles on the trip odometer (366.5) by the number of gallons used (10.789) and you get your miles per gallon (33.9)! Just get a receipt every time you get gas and be sure to record your total miles and miles on the trip odometer on the receipt as well, than sign up on MPG Tune and keep track of your results.Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »thanx carr! yours is pretty impressive, too, considering its the 2.4. actually, i'll be putting the short ram back in this weekend... we'll see what happens then these cars just keep rollin...Yeah, I was thinking 33.9 isn't bad at all for the 2.4L automatic. I am happy with it, but I will definitely be curious to see if I can do even better .Yeah, it's very encouraging to see yours has 157,000+ on it and you're still getting that good of gas mileage. I plan on having this thing for as long as humanly possible .
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

29.8 mpg towing a 1300 lb trailer.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

404.9 miles and 11.144 gallons this afternoon = 36.3 mpg. Not as good as I was expecting... but not terrible. Used A/C a bit, so that probably hurt just a bit. Wussed out when the the temperatures went over 90 degrees for a couple of days last week. That's pretty nasty for us, especially when any humidity gets in to the mix.
ramenboy...

Re: personal best (vibolista)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »...Wussed out when the the temperatures went over 90 degrees for a couple of days last week. That's pretty nasty for us, especially when any humidity gets in to the mix.that's what the AC is for! i gotta admit, i hit that button on the return trip. the sun was getting pretty hot. had a buddy who bought a suzuki samurai when they first came out. he thought with the removable top, why get AC? big mistake, since that became one of the hottest summers we had... everyone ended up calling his car 'the penalty box' when we'd all go out
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Well, my trip to Evansville this weekend had some good results- 31.3mpg on the way down (60-70mph, mostly cruise control except for a lot of stop and go at the beginning) which would have been higher except that the last quarter of a tank was spent going extremely fast (the speed limit was 70 and we were pushing 85) because we were late to the wedding! I was still impressed with that mpg in the 2.4L considering.Then on the way back, with a completely full load (couldn't see out the back at all) and really stupid inconsistent Indy traffic, going 65-80mph... and still 29.9mpg!By the way, 66 between Evansville and Tell City, IN is a pretty drive (though not as awesome as the drive between Corydon and Leavenworth)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ramenboy...

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Well, my trip to Evansville this weekend had some good results- 31.3mpg on the way down (60-70mph, mostly cruise control except for a lot of stop and go at the beginning) which would have been higher except that the last quarter of a tank was spent going extremely fast (the speed limit was 70 and we were pushing 85) because we were late to the wedding!...Then on the way back, with a completely full load (couldn't see out the back at all) and really stupid inconsistent Indy traffic, going 65-80mph... and still 29.9mpg!haha lead-foot michelle! but like i said to carrie, considering you're both running the 2.4L, that's not bad. you'd probably have been right up there with her if you installed a short ram (hint, hint)
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »you'd probably have been right up there with her if you installed a short ram (hint, hint)You people!!!! Yes yes, I've made up my mind to get it as soon as we have the extra cash, hopefully before the meet. Just spent the "extra" money on a much-needed shelving unit for the dining room, so I'll have to wait till later in the month for some contracts to be signed and checks to come in. And I actually think I would have matched her mpgs if we hadn't had the running-late emergency, because it was doing *very* well... but such is life, I seem to be perpetually late.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »You people!!!! HAHAHA at least you G0T the hint. we'll be looking forward to seeing/hearing the vibe on the way upQuote, originally posted by ponta2147 »... but such is life, I seem to be perpetually late.the vibe is a fun car to be late in, though.
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »that's what the AC is for! i gotta admit, i hit that button on the return trip. the sun was getting pretty hot. had a buddy who bought a suzuki samurai when they first came out. he thought with the removable top, why get AC? big mistake, since that became one of the hottest summers we had... everyone ended up calling his car 'the penalty box' when we'd all go outI hardly ever use the air but it is nice to have it just in case.LOL @ the penalty box !Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Well, my trip to Evansville this weekend had some good results- 31.3mpg on the way down (60-70mph, mostly cruise control except for a lot of stop and go at the beginning) which would have been higher except that the last quarter of a tank was spent going extremely fast (the speed limit was 70 and we were pushing 85) because we were late to the wedding! I was still impressed with that mpg in the 2.4L considering.Then on the way back, with a completely full load (couldn't see out the back at all) and really stupid inconsistent Indy traffic, going 65-80mph... and still 29.9mpg!By the way, 66 between Evansville and Tell City, IN is a pretty drive (though not as awesome as the drive between Corydon and Leavenworth)31.3 is great Michelle ! Very respectable as you said.Speaking of pretty drives, I need to get off my (removed) and figure out a good route for us all to take to Indy ...Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »haha lead-foot michelle! but like i said to carrie, considering you're both running the 2.4L, that's not bad. you'd probably have been right up there with her if you installed a short ram (hint, hint)LOL! Well, it won't help your gas mileage at first because you'll constantly be stepping on it to hear the intake , but after a while the novelty will wear off and your gas mileage should increase by a good mile or two. Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »You people!!!! Yes yes, I've made up my mind to get it as soon as we have the extra cash, hopefully before the meet. Just spent the "extra" money on a much-needed shelving unit for the dining room, so I'll have to wait till later in the month for some contracts to be signed and checks to come in. And I actually think I would have matched her mpgs if we hadn't had the running-late emergency, because it was doing *very* well... but such is life, I seem to be perpetually late.Yay! Remember, if you need any help installing it, let me know. I am now an expert at it ! Perhaps we could even manage to get a mini meet/install day together somewhere to make it more fun and plan the trip to Indy.I have no doubt you would have matched my mpg, if not surpassed it. I can't wait to see what I get going to Indy and back! I am very satisfied with my overall gas mileage. It's consistently better than my Sunfire was which says a lot considering the Sunfire had a smaller, way less powerful engine and weighed significantly less. Oh... and you didn't need to buy shelving, you could have used the box the intake comes in to set stuff on ! LOL!Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »HAHAHA at least you G0T the hint. we'll be looking forward to seeing/hearing the vibe on the way upthe vibe is a fun car to be late in, though.Yeah, you're going to love the sound! I still get excited when I step on the gas and I hear the intake ! It never gets old!The Vibe is a fun car to be late in, especially when you have an intake !
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »The Vibe is a fun car to be late in, especially when you have an intake !hahaaha amen
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Remember, if you need any help installing it, let me know. I am now an expert at it ! Perhaps we could even manage to get a mini meet/install day together somewhere to make it more fun and plan the trip to Indy.I am very likely to take you up on all of that. Maybe early July. Chris and I would love to paint our calipers too (red on both cars), but condo-garage is not very conducive to doing much with a car (we don't even have a freaking hose hookup to wash them).
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »I am very likely to take you up on all of that. Maybe early July. Chris and I would love to paint our calipers too (red on both cars), but condo-garage is not very conducive to doing much with a car (we don't even have a freaking hose hookup to wash them).Fine by me, just let me know. I don't have anything major going on on the weekends from now 'til Indy so I am open whenever. Like I said, it'd be sweet if we could get Tim, Jerry, Josh, and/or Aron to come hang out as well and we could plan for the cara-Vibe to Indy (I thought of cara-Vibe today at work and thought it was funny )!I used the Dupli Color brush on paint kit to do my calipers and it worked great. One kit would be enough for both your cars. It's very easy to use and you don't need anything special. The kit has everything you need and it would be ideal for your smaller work area as well.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I like Cara-Vibe!
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »haha lead-foot michelle! but like i said to carrie, considering you're both running the 2.4L, that's not bad. you'd probably have been right up there with her if you installed a short ram (hint, hint)man its going to cost me some credibility, but what the heck is a short ram? I am having strange visions of sheep who don't get selected for pick-up games.....if it helps get highway mileage over 33 on my 2.4, I want a few of them. Don't you also need a ewe??
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....
ramenboy...

Re: (bikeman1)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »man its going to cost me some credibility, but what the heck is a short ram? I am having strange visions of sheep who don't get selected for pick-up games.....if it helps get highway mileage over 33 on my 2.4, I want a few of them. Don't you also need a ewe??joe, joe, joe....hahaha credibility? we don't need no stinkin' credibilityshort ram intake takes the place of the regular air intake/box in the engine. aside from making it sound really cool, it increases airflow, so the engine breathes better; can give you a minimal gain in HP, and a little better mpg (once you outgrow the stomping on the gas to hear the sound...some of us never do )
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »man its going to cost me some credibility, but what the heck is a short ram? I am having strange visions of sheep who don't get selected for pick-up games.....if it helps get highway mileage over 33 on my 2.4, I want a few of them. Don't you also need a ewe??Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »joe, joe, joe....hahaha credibility? we don't need no stinkin' credibilityshort ram intake takes the place of the regular air intake/box in the engine. aside from making it sound really cool, it increases airflow, so the engine breathes better; can give you a minimal gain in HP, and a little better mpg (once you outgrow the stomping on the gas to hear the sound...some of us never do )I highly recommend the K&N Typhoon for your '09 2.4L Joe! My personal best was 33.9 mpg with 100% highway driving with it. Typically I drive 50% highway / 50% city and I average right around 28 mpg. My mom's '09 GT with only an aFe Pro Dry S drop in filter averages 26-27 mpg with 50% highway / 50% city so the K&N Typhoon definitely does add at least a mile or two. As Jerry said it does also give you a few more horses which makes the Vibe even more fun to drive ! It also really wakes up the sound of the engine which adds to the driving experience as well. Check out my Car Domain page to see pictures of it installed.
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

Well I'm relieved to hear you guys say that. For a while I was worried you were going to have to fleece it annually too. Sounds like its all good....Wow what a web site J_T_E. Good to see a man who loves his Vibe (as I do...). I get the idea. So the OEM whole filter case lifts out and heads for the landfill. Looks fine! And (Jerry you've heard me say this before) It looks like this thing really sucks. But nonetheless, the promise of a few HP and a heavenly rumble is an attractive one. Some Qs- are there replacement filters or does this one have to last forever with regular washings -- just regular filter paper or cloth?- I don't doubt your experience at all, but i don't gather what the exact cause of the magic is. The manifold (while smooth sided) is about the same diameter as the OEM, and it seems to draw air from the same place (temperature) under the hood. Is there just less pressure loss across the filter ==>more induction? anyway you got me thinking!Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I highly recommend the K&N Typhoon for your '09 2.4L Joe! My personal best was 33.9 mpg with 100% highway driving with it. Typically I drive 50% highway / 50% city and I average right around 28 mpg. My mom's '09 GT with only an aFe Pro Dry S drop in filter averages 26-27 mpg with 50% highway / 50% city so the K&N Typhoon definitely does add at least a mile or two. As Jerry said it does also give you a few more horses which makes the Vibe even more fun to drive ! It also really wakes up the sound of the engine which adds to the driving experience as well. Check out my Car Domain page to see pictures of it installed.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »Good to see a woman who loves her Vibe Fixed!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »Wow what a web site J_T_E. Good to see a man who loves his Vibe (as I do...). Lol ..... The Gender misunderstanding Poor Carrie. I could see where this can happen quite often on forums such as this!

06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »man its going to cost me some credibility, but what the heck is a short ram? Joe, just a general picture I found on the web of a Short Ram intake to give you an idea. And a (longer) "CAI" Cold Air intake so you might see the difference. In fact this one looks very much like the one on my Mazda3, but not quite the same. Mine mounts in the LF wheel well under the splash shield.The SRI stays in the engine compartment but often has a protective "box" around it to help insulate it from the hot air inside the engine compartment.A CAI mounts behind the front bumper, in the wheel well (usually under the splash shield) or in front of the radiator to take in outside air directly and avoid all engine/drive train heat.SRI's usually show their power increase at higher RPMs, while CAI's generally improve midrange power (slightly.) But don't get your hopes up too much w/either mileage or power increases. They are usually small at best. Frankly, either can get quite pricey for what little increases you will see.To answer your other question: Most SRI's and CAI's come w/a washable filter these days, but they are also available for replacement as needed... but they shouldn't need replacing ever w/proper care. I like the dry synthetic filters which don't require re-oiling after a bath.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
bikeman1

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by bikeman1 »

well, a gaffe for sure.......sorry Ponta! This only broadens the Vibes appeal!I take it we are all card carrying members in the 2.4L club.....it is quite a beast isn't it (notice I did not use either "she" or "he" in that reference!!)Your analysis sounds pretty good to me 06p. Thanks for the pix and summary -- I see now! Does Cosmo make a SRI that fits the 2.4L? I saw a generic one for $100 on ebay without the heat shield, but I am guessing the instructions may not be in English (if there are any). I'd say it doesn't look that complicated but I can see some potential for "gee where does this one go...." and having some extra sensors to deal withBack on topic, I just finished a road trip to/from Springfield IL (to you Illionoisans: I find how flat it is out there frankly terrifying!) and got about 29 on the way out 32 return. I think wind had some say in this.BM1Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »Lol ..... The Gender misunderstanding Poor Carrie. I could see where this can happen quite often on forums such as this!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »Well I'm relieved to hear you guys say that. For a while I was worried you were going to have to fleece it annually too. Sounds like its all good....Wow what a web site J_T_E. Good to see a man who loves his Vibe (as I do...). I get the idea. So the OEM whole filter case lifts out and heads for the landfill. Looks fine! And (Jerry you've heard me say this before) It looks like this thing really sucks. But nonetheless, the promise of a few HP and a heavenly rumble is an attractive one. Some Qs- are there replacement filters or does this one have to last forever with regular washings -- just regular filter paper or cloth?- I don't doubt your experience at all, but i don't gather what the exact cause of the magic is. The manifold (while smooth sided) is about the same diameter as the OEM, and it seems to draw air from the same place (temperature) under the hood. Is there just less pressure loss across the filter ==>more induction? anyway you got me thinking!As has already been stated, I am indeed a girl . I'm used to this as I have been on another car forum for years and because I don't flaunt the fact that I am a girl, everyone assumes I'm a guy . No hard feelings .Well, personally I held onto the stock stuff so if the Vibe needs to go into the dealer for something I simply put the stock stuff back in so there's no questions pertaining to the intake and warranty. Yes, the whole plastic, restrictive stock intake comes out and is replaced with the K&N stuff.I personally got an AEM Dry Flow air filter to go with my intake because it never needs to be oiled unlike the K&N filter that comes with the intake. I have read horror stories on here and other sites about people over-oiling their K&N filters and consequently having problems with the MAF sensor, etc. To me it was worth the extra $40.00 for the AEM to remove any possibility of over oiling. Plus I turned around and sold the K&N filter and got my money back . I haven't even actually washed my air filter and the intake has been installed for a year now. Everytime I change the oil I simply pull the filter off, use the air hose on it and tap it out. There doesn't seem to be too much that gets in there, a bug here and there, but it is never overly dirty. One of these days I need to look up info on how to properly clean it on AEM's website. If you get a filter like an AEM or if you decide to use the K&N one, they should last forever with proper care i.e. tapping it out and actually washing it once in a while. They're relatively inexepensive if you do need to buy a new one someday down the road. Believe it or not, the K&N intake for the 2.4L is actually considered a cold air intake by K&N because there is actually a factory plastic tube that comes up from behind the front bumper cover and goes directly into the factory air filter box (heat shield that surrounds the K&N air filter) thus moving cooler air into the air filter which of course gives the extra power and better gas mileage. If you lift your factory filter out of the box and look at the right hand side of the filter box you will see this tube I am referring to. Also, the diameter of the K&N piping is larger than factory (K&N piping is 3" I believe) which increases air flow as well.Hopefully this helps you understand a little better how and why it works the way it does. I finally convinced my mom to let me put one on her '09 GT so I ordered it off of eBay today along with an AEM Dry Flow air filter. Both cost me just under $300.00. Not bad considering I paid about $330.00 for mine a year ago .Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »Lol ..... The Gender misunderstanding Poor Carrie. I could see where this can happen quite often on forums such as this!I'm used to it. It's been happening for years now since I don't flaunt the fact that I'm a girl. I prefer to remain semi-anonymous .Quote, originally posted by bikeman1 »well, a gaffe for sure.......sorry Ponta! This only broadens the Vibes appeal!I take it we are all card carrying members in the 2.4L club.....it is quite a beast isn't it (notice I did not use either "she" or "he" in that reference!!)Your analysis sounds pretty good to me 06p. Thanks for the pix and summary -- I see now! Does Cosmo make a SRI that fits the 2.4L? I saw a generic one for $100 on ebay without the heat shield, but I am guessing the instructions may not be in English (if there are any). I'd say it doesn't look that complicated but I can see some potential for "gee where does this one go...." and having some extra sensors to deal withBack on topic, I just finished a road trip to/from Springfield IL (to you Illionoisans: I find how flat it is out there frankly terrifying!) and got about 29 on the way out 32 return. I think wind had some say in this.I the 2.4L! The K&N makes me it even more !As far as I know, everyone here with an intake on their '09-'10 2.4L has the K&N. I do believe there are one or two other ones made by different companies that will work, but I'm not 100% positive on who makes them, how well they fit, etc. I personally would stick with the K&N because it's been proven time and time again here that it is a great intake and no one has had any issues with it. It fits great and is easy to install. There's one seller on eBay selling brand new ones for $257.99 with free shipping. This is who I ordered the one for my mom's GT from. And here is the link for the AEM Dry Flow filter I am using with mine if you're so inclined.
bikeman1

Post by bikeman1 »

whoa -- hey I am looking for a place to stick my foot in a little deeper -- can anyone help ??? Carrie, these details were just what I was looking for, thanks! The K&N hadn't been highest on my list but the lower price you mention sounds more bearable. Your take on the "heat shield" for corralling cooler air also makes sense. And I definitely can relate to a dry finer-pore size filter. Here in WV they sand the roads with bottom ash from the coal fired power plants (you may get some in southern IL), which disentigrates to a fine powder of grey glassy powder, like slag. Its noxious stuff, and most of what you find in wheels and air filters. an oiled filter would be coated with it like peanut butter. I'm going to look at it carefully before winter and maybe give it a shot. Your 28 mpg beats my round-town mileage hands down.BTW I was looking at some of the different rams and many of them change diameter and narrow at the head. There may be some aerodynamics involved too. Narrowing down the throat would increase air velocity and create lower pressure (Venturi principle) that would induce more "suck". That may also have something to do with itAnd its great finding other men/women/girls/boys/mothers/fathers/grandparents (have I missed anyone???) (yeah DOGS!!!) that love their 2.4L. I didn't like at first the way the "new" vibes looked, but that instantly changed when my test drive of the 2.4 hit the road. It was like wow. That you feel the short ram expands on that is, to me, very very meaningful hey I wonder if we need color coded avatars....
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad I could help you out with all the info .
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

On my last 3 fill-ups, I've averaged 6.3L/100km which equates to 37.3 MPG (U.S. gallons). Mine's a 2.4 automatic 1SB. I've only used the A/C for an hour or two within those fills, but fortunately it doesn't seem to impact it too badly. It was mostly highway driving - although I did have 4 of us in the car for 1 full tank, which included about an hour of the A/C use and had several harder acceleration runs.I couldn't seem to accomplish this last year - but I installed a vacuum gauge about a month ago which allows me to watch exactly how hard I'm working it at any given time. Maybe it's gotten broken in a bit more now too - about 42,000km currently.It's nice to have the combination of available power and fuel economy - all dependent on the right foot's weight. It takes concentration to maintain the fuel economy attitude though. I essentially have to treat it like a game - knowing that any extra press of that pedal will cost me "points". The vacuum gauge rattles interestingly as well if I put my foot into it - a good audible reminder.Other than the vacuum gauge, the car's entirely stock, and I run the tires at 32 as recommended. All I've done so far is change the oil at the prescribed 8,000km intervals (5W20 Canadian Tire synthetic - purchased on sale of course), and give it baths as required.Overall I'm very pleased with the car - especially now that I've figured out how to achieve more respectable mileage figures.John
star_deceiver

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by j42.snyder » The vacuum gauge rattles interestingly as well if I put my foot into it - a good audible reminder.Yours does that too, eh?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ab2cmiller

Post by ab2cmiller »

Just filled up and got my personal best of 47.5 mpg. I know there's a chance that the pump may have turned off earlier then normal, but my scangauge has been running pretty accurate and it was showing 46.1 which still would've been my personal best.I'm following a lot of hypermiling tips. This past tank I really focused on maintaining lower rpm's and upshifting pretty close to 2000 rpm which seems to be part of the increase.I have a 2010 1.8L manual which certainly helps. Obviously I'm anxious to see if the new tank can replicate my last fill up.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Hypermiling tricks can produce some shockingly great mpg numbers. I have a friend that gets over 20 mpg more than EPA estimates on his hybrid Honda Insight.Me? I'm still feeling that 2.4L pick up in second gear and average about 25 mpg in mixed driving.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
lordvic

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by lordvic »

I typically get good mileage when I highway drive.However, I never push it too far as the fuel light always comes on after 40 liters of fuel use. I'm pretty sure the tank is closer to liters, but the gauge always reads empty with the light on at that point.Typically, if i'm doing a lot of highway driving, i will go 550ish KM's on 40 litres of usage. Roughly 470ish of city driving (Toronto city driving sucks).
2006 Vibe, Neptune Blue.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Last weekend I drove 1300 miles round trip ( mostly highway) with about 700 lbs worth of luggage & passengers (not including myself). The rear of the car was squatting & I managed 25MPG.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

You shouldn't go so fast, there, Speedy! Everyone else is so busy these days that they're all running late too! If you do the speed limit, you'll get there OK, and in time, and your MPGs will go up.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »You shouldn't go so fast, there, Speedy! Everyone else is so busy these days that they're all running late too! If you do the speed limit, you'll get there OK, and in time, and your MPGs will go up. I agree! I go five over the speed limit tops. I prefer better gas mileage over a speeding ticket .