End of chapter, Vibe's totaled.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Merzbow

End of chapter, Vibe's totaled.

Post by Merzbow »

So last night I was driving to meet some friends in car club for coffee. I was 2 miles from destination. Approached a green light in an intersection when a girl in red Vibe, I think it was an '03 or '04 like mine too, turned left on a flashing red right in front of me, I hit her head on doing about 45-50 mph. Didn't even have time to hit the brakes at all. Both cars did a almost complete 180s in opposite directions and bounced off about 100 feet.There's no doubt the car's totaled, her Vibe probably is too. My air bags went off, ballasts for my HIDs and all my grill inserts were in the crash like 500 feet away. My hood is trashed, intake, engine, trans, everything in the front is gone.So, it's been fun on the forums. I'm really really depressed. I put so much time and money into her and I had soooo many good memories in it. I hate to see her go but I have no choice.BTW, me and the girl are ok. Just stiff neck and some frozen fingers and face burn from the air bag. I am now looking for a new car. I'm probably going to get either an Audi s4, BMW 3 series, Porsche 944 turbo, or a scion tc. I'll check into the site to say hi once in a while and drop into the meets if there are any so don't worry. I've been a member for waaaaay too long to just leave for good haha.I will be parting it out tomorrow so I'll be posting up a lot of stuff for sale, the sub box, mid gate spoiler, maybe the roof caps, maybe the Borla exhaust and the a-pillar gauge pod so I'm sure some people on here can help her legacy live on!I'll have daytime pics tomorrow when I go and part it out at the yard to see the extent of the damage so check back.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Wow that really sucks... glad your okay!... what are the odds that two alike cars crash into each other... very weird...
BlueCrush

Re: End of chapter, Vibe's totaled. (Merzbow)

Post by BlueCrush »

(removed)!!! Sorry to hear, Paul. I was just looking at pics of your Vibe last night. Glad to hear you are both ok. Weird that it was another Vibe you crashed into.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

wow glad you're ok and nobody was hurt. Who's fault was it? When it's a flashing red light it means it's treated as a stop light right? So in a way she ran a stop sign?Looking at the cars you want to get, the scion tc don't fit in that list lol I mean it's out of place or something =P
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
Merzbow

Re: End of chapter, Vibe's totaled. (lowincash)

Post by Merzbow »

Haha, yeah flashing red means stop then go if clear. She was stopped and for whatever reason decided it was clear and went. It was raining so I guess maybe a glare? But I have 8000k HIDs in fog lights so I don't know how she could have missed that. not like they would have blended into the surrounding lights or anything...I've always wanted a scion tc and I just helped my ex buy a 4.0 limited tc last week so I already know a good deal about them. The S4's and 3 series I'm looking at will be late 90's or early 2000's so they fall into the same price range as the tc which is around $5000 to $9000 and I'm expecting anywhere from $5000 to $7000 from the insurance company since the Vibe blue books at $7200 I think. I did have a new engine put in that would put the total mileage under 100,000 so if they account for that I may get more. Fingers crossed....If there's a bright side to this, I'll finally get my dream of owning a manual transmission and I do still have my bike. Also just got a brand new Sebring as a rental from insurance company
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Glad you're both ok! But do yourself a favor and go to the doc. You'd be surprised how collisions like that will really wreak havoc on your back and neck after a day or so. whip lash is very serious injury.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

That was a hit... shows the integrity off the Vibe. Good to hear no serious injuries occured. Maybe there was some "Carma" at work there. Did you exchange phone numbers? How come you're not going to get another Vibe? S4 and Beemers are great cars, but not too cheap to keep. Large bucks whenever a piece on those babies breaks down! tc is Ok, but u lose a lot room... and I heard they did make a few manual Vibes. I have one. Sorry dude, that was a nice Vibe you had. Bummer.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

dame, that blows... Glad to hear you are ok.*cracks knuckles and wonders what goodies are going to be up forsale
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
renate

Post by renate »

Aww,I'm so sorry.I'm glad you are both ok.
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

WOW glad your O.K. thats a good thing the vibe looks really bad.
lovemyraffe

Re: End of chapter, Vibe's totaled. (scherry2)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Wow, glad you are ok but sucks about the car. Weird that it was another Vibe.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

dude ouch, glad you are ok though. Sounds like the same thing that totaled my ms3. :/ non yielding people!! :fist shake:Out of those cars:tC - newer, cheaper to maintain and reliablea4/bmw - going to cost some bucks to fix944 - hahah just saw these in my GRM, $9k to buy but damn dude clutch replacement is $2k alone..id probably steer clear. Only get that as a 2nd car for the track.You know....supercharged cobalt ss's are in your price range, 2005-2007. G85 option was a LSD and recaro seats, some are heated . gm offers stage 2 upgrade kit to keep warranty and a stage 3 w/ nitrous but that voids the warranty.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

damn, merz... like everyone's said here, glad you're ok. sucks about the vibe though! at least you've got the duc to get you around. hey folks, lets be careful out there
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
vibolista

Re: (northvibe)

Post by vibolista »

Something I've learned after many many years of driving... You have the right of way as long as no one else thinks they do... or are distracted and don't quite notice they don't actually have the right of way. I was driving a work van back to the office one night on a main road, going by a cross road that had stop signs on it. Thick tall bushes were growing within 3 feet of the road... hiding any vehicle coming down that road as I approached. I had right of way. No blinker or sign of any kind telling me otherwise. The driver of the car that rammed me at 40 to 45 mph just ahead of the rear passenger side wheel didn't notice the stop sign that he blew through. He and his friend were messing around with the stereo. They lived a block away, so they knew the area pretty well. Oops. Luckily, no one was hurt. Their air bags and seat belts did their jobs... but both vehicles were totalled. Lesson learned hopefully. I now really try to make sure that when I have the right of way, that all other drivers know that and react to it. One thing I notice that I do on a regular basis, look both ways when crossing a road if there is a view. If there are too many obstacles or just can't see enough of the road I'm about to cross, I slow down a bit... to increase the safety margin as much as I can. Traffic control signs, blinkers or traffic lights are being ingnored a lot more around my area. I see a lot of people, regularly running red lights and getting by other moving traffic by millimeters. I'm also seeing more of those who don't quite make it. Green means go... but look both ways to make sure everyone else has stopped. Yellow means slow down because it's turning red... and red means that the other guys now have the right of way and you should have already come to a stop at the intersection. The girl that hit Merzbow wasn't paying attention. In poor weather it's even more important to pay attention. This accident could have turned out a lot worse... but it could also have been prevented. Two really nice cars were totally trashed. Sorry about the long rant. I'll stop now . Just be careful and pay attention when you drive.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
808 Vibes

Re: (vibolista)

Post by 808 Vibes »

NOooooooooooooooooooo....this is so tragic...but I'm glad you're OK...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

damn Paul not 3 months after mine here goes yours! what are ya tryin to be like me for a change, well i mean since i was always one step behind you and envied your vibe!? lol j/k bro, but yea we are very glad you are ok and still here with us. but i will miss your vibe it was the vibe i modeled mine after!as for a replacement if you are goin for a 10-15 yr old car they will be needing major repairs soon if not earlier. so your best bet would be a tC or a "upgraded" Vibe.dealin with the insurance will be a pain, well at least is was for me i didn't even get the 7200 on mine i got 6300. with your replaced engine, depending on how many miles you put on that newer motor or how many miles it has on it now will defiantly help with the payment.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

man hopefully you remain ok and are satisfied with whatever car you end up replacing the vibe with, your vibe was nice and hope you dont mind me posting one of my favorite pics of itRIP
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Paul I am so sorry about your Vibe but am super happy you are ok...but I have to agree with Hope please go get yourself checked out!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Sad to see such a nice Abyss go like that. Glad you made it through generally unscathed.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Sad to hear that it's totaled. Regardless I'm glad to hear you're OK though.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
vibedrivermatt

Re: End of chapter, Vibe's totaled. (Herb)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

R.I.P. vibe sorry about your vibe. Glad nobody was injured. Still bummer. Good luck finding a new car.. you have many good cars to chose from.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Glad to hear you and the other driver are both ok.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
bull77

Post by bull77 »

glad you're doing ok -- shame that one of the best is gone
Kari

Post by Kari »

First, glad everyone is okay - sorry that the Vibe isn't. (Or that two Vibes aren't.)I do have to ask though - did you paint your wheels glow in the dark green?
GenVibe Global Moderator
jake75

Re: (Kari)

Post by jake75 »

When I went to the auto show, my wife asked why I was going as we had no plans or need to buy a new car in the foreseeable future. I told her "you never know". And this proves - you never know.Maybe I should tell her that is also why, though happily married, I always pay attention to the ladies - - - you never know.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
kostby

Post by kostby »

Wow! 2 Vibes used up in one split second. Glad you're both OK. Cars can be replaced. Lives cannot.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
michaelgt

Re: (jake75)

Post by michaelgt »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »When I went to the auto show, my wife asked why I was going as we had no plans or need to buy a new car in the foreseeable future. I told her "you never know". And this proves - you never know.Maybe I should tell her that is also why, though happily married, I always pay attention to the ladies - - - you never know. Do you have enough to keep us from telling on you!
bodhi_tree777

Re:

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Man, that sucks. Hopefully the insurance will take care of everything, but whoever said it is right: Make sure you go to a doctor. Sore neck one day can equal shooting bolts of pain and an inability to move the next. If I was closer, I'd say dibs on the midgate spoiler, exhaust and the green wheels . If you're feeling frisky when you get your new car, you're welcome to drive it out here to WV and swap your spare vibe parts for tattoos Glad to hear you're okay, another Vibe saves the day
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Merzbow

Re: Re: (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Merzbow »

Thanks a lot for all of the support everyone I appreciate it especially now. I went to the tow companies lot, the insurance wasn't suposed to have it towed out until 5pm, giving me an hour after work to swap out all the aftermarket stuff for the factory parts...well I got there and she was gone already. They took her at 1pm and moved her to Flint which is an hour to an hour and half away from me!!!! Fortunately I can go there tomorrow if I make it before 1pm and do the swaps, that is assuming the parts and car are still there. Flint is one of if not THE worst city crime wise in the whole country, not even exaggerating. They will be liable but I will be even more livid t han I am now if they steal the irreplaceable items like the sub box.Also, I am a mechanic so I will be doing all my own work on what ever car I get, cost for fixing is not in the equation for buying a new car...parts availability is but not labor and installation. I have a huge list of Audi S4s and A4s compiled to start calling on once the insurance gives me an idea of what I'll be getting for it. The reason I am not planning on another Vibe is because, for one reason it took me almost 8 years to get it to where it is now and I'd have to start all over again. Second, I would not feel right , even though it is an in-animate object, replacing her with another Vibe. I couldn't do that.Thanks for the advice too. I also have noticed people, in the last couple years got unfathomably stupid while driving. Since I h ave the bike, fortunately my alertness and ability to avoid danger has been honed a bit more than the average car driver. I forgot about that picture Waveresponder, thanks for posting it. I'm going to miss her.I painted the wheels in the fall last year, there's a post around here somewhere with them. I almost bought new rims too last week, glad I didn't.I can't afford insurance either that's why I didn't go to the doctor's. Of course I know now what I didn't know then, is I could have gotten her insurance to pay for my hospital visit...dollar short, day later. I do feel a lot better now physically. I can move all my fingers now perfectly fine and rotate my head all the way like normal, hardly any soreness left except it feels like I did a thousand sit ups because my stomach is sore from getting so tense.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

WOW,same thing happened to me but i was in my G5 & the other car was a G6!!! I was doing about 40MPH when he turned into me. Glad your ok,I was knocked out cold for awhile.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
jake75

Re: Re: (Merzbow)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Merzbow »I can't afford insurance either that's why I didn't go to the doctor's. Of course I know now what I didn't know then, is I could have gotten her insurance to pay for my hospital visit...dollar short, day later. I do feel a lot better now physically. I can move all my fingers now perfectly fine and rotate my head all the way like normal, hardly any soreness left except it feels like I did a thousand sit ups because my stomach is sore from getting so tense.If you still need medical attention, then it is not too late. I don't know much about how insurance works, but there is some medical coverage on mine separate from the usual liability - don't know if it only covers the other guy - might cover me/you as well.At some point her insurance company is going to be asking you for a release. Don't be in a hurry, and don't be afraid to ask for something reasonable for "pain and suffering". HOWEVER, seems I remember that Michigan might be a "no fault" state so that may be different.In my longer than most of your lifetimes I had kids that totaled two of my cars. In both cases my insurance company gave me more money than I thought the cars were worth. In one I think the transmission was on its last legs. However, in a situation where a lady backed out of her driveway into my 8 year old Cadillac parked in front of my house, her insurance company would not pay to replace the front fender with a new one - only one they would get from a junkyard. As it happened, I was in the process of selling the car - the buyer gladly paid me the difference between what we agreed on and the insurance amount so I came out even. He had someone who repaired it for him cheap so he was happy.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
star_deceiver

Re: Re: (Merzbow)

Post by star_deceiver »

Man that sucks!!!Glad to hear you're OK!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I talked to Merzbow late last night and mentioned that even though he does not have health insurance, since he does have full coverage, his auto then becomes primary in these types of situations. I told him call the insurance company, get a claim number, and make a doctors appointment just to make sure. In the mean time, I will give him a quick head-to-toe check up this weekend just to make sure nothing is wrong.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
psiu

Post by psiu »

Glad you're all right, sad to have 2 more Vibes down for the count.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (psiu)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Quote, originally posted by psiu »Glad you're all right, sad to have 2 more Vibes down for the count.I second that. Sucks that there are two less
high revin

Post by high revin »

The tragedy is not the wreck although we hate to see any vibe get totaled let alone two of them the real tragedy is those wheels whattttttt how did she not see you comming!
jkm311

Re: (high revin)

Post by jkm311 »

From one Abyss to another: gonna miss that ride. One of my absolute favorite black beauties on here. I am also a big fan of the S4. If it can't be another Vibe, I am rooting for the Audi. Glad you are feeling better, and good luck in your dealings with the new ride.
Steelies to the rescue.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

glad you are ok, hope the remaining recovery is quick
smeadows7

Post by smeadows7 »

So sad to hear. Glad everyone is ok though.I will carry on a part of your vibe man... (and hopefully more parts haha)
NascarXprt

Re: (smeadows7)

Post by NascarXprt »

i see someones old rims on another vibers sig!
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
northvibe

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I talked to Merzbow late last night and mentioned that even though he does not have health insurance, since he does have full coverage, his auto then becomes primary in these types of situations. I told him call the insurance company, get a claim number, and make a doctors appointment just to make sure. In the mean time, I will give him a quick head-to-toe check up this weekend just to make sure nothing is wrong. correct, the auto insurance will pay for it. I didnt even pay a copay or anything.