So the recall for the evil pedal?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
wgates

So the recall for the evil pedal?

Post by wgates »

Apparently the 09 vibes are in the pool for a recall, I am curious to know if others have taken their beloved back to the dealer/manufacturer for a fix?Is it recommended that every Vibe to be taken back ? Since I bought mine as second-hand, so did not receive any call from the dealer. Does this factor in any additional complication for a fix?thanks !
09 Vibe 2.4L Charcoal, not so much optioned...
06pvibe

Re: So the recall for the evil pedal? (wgates)

Post by 06pvibe »

Currently. only the 09-10's are being recalled. However, it has been suggested that any Vibe/Matrix/Corolla with a drive-by-wire system (05>) will be susceptible.As long as your Vibe is registered in @ your current address, you should get a notice should it be involved. Barring that, you could call a dealer for further information.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...whoever receives their notice of recall from GM / Pontiac first, please be sure to post the Recall number so the rest of us know what to look for and expect. Thanks!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
Houston

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by Houston »

I emailed my Pontiac service department and they responded yesterday that they have not yet been notified by higher ups about what to do, but that I would be notified when the [supposed] fix is in. I really don't want them monkeying with my gas pedal, but a recall is a recall.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Last week I went to the dealer to get an oil change and they showed me a paper with all the question and answers about it. It said there was no fix but they would inform me on when there was.
smash

Post by smash »

I saw the notice last week on the Pontiac.com website to call their Toll Free number. The gentleman who took my call stated that GM had not received either information nor parts from Toyota at that time.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Automatic - Liquid Platinum
IMakeVibes

Re: (smash)

Post by IMakeVibes »

According to the Detroit News, a fix is on the way.http://www.detnews.com/article...l+fixFebruary 8, 2010http://detnews.com/article/20100208/AUTO01/2080376GM to begin Pontiac Vibe gas pedal fixROB SNELL AND DAVID SHEPARDSONThe Detroit NewsGeneral Motors Co. will start shipping repair parts to dealers this week to fix sticking accelerator problems with its 2008-2010 Pontiac Vibe.The automaker also will mail Vibe owners letters Feb. 16 directing them to contact dealers after Feb. 22 to schedule repairs.The repair involves installing a precision-cut steel reinforcement bar into the accelerator pedal assembly. The fix takes 30 minutes but Vibe owners may need to leave their vehicles for a longer period of time, GM said today.GM will send owners a second letter later once a fix is identified for problems with floor mat interference with the accelerator pedal.The Vibe is part of the Pontiac brand, which GM is phasing out. It is jointly built with Toyota Motor Corp.'s Matrix and part of a 2.3 million sticky pedal recall announced Jan. 21.Toyota dealers started getting parts to repair Toyota vehicles last week.The 2009-10 Pontiac Vibe is included in two Toyota recalls related to unintended acceleration, one for sticking accelerator pedals and one for possible floor mat entrapment.The Vibe was designed, engineered and manufactured at New United Motor Manufacturing Inc. in Fremont, Calif., which is a GM-Toyota joint venture that's closing in March.About 99,000 Vibes are covered by the recall in the United States and Canada.GM has received about 10 complaints, but none involved a crash or injury.© Copyright 2010 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.
jake75

Re: (IMakeVibes)

Post by jake75 »

I was not aware of any floor mat interference issue with the Matrix or Vibe.Right now I have a heavy rubber floormat to collect snow etc. placed over the OEM one. The far lip of that rubber floormat extends under the accelerator so maybe that solves the problem.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Mattsky

Post by Mattsky »

I called Pontiac today. They put me on hold and contacted the nearest dealership. They came back and said that the dealership did not have the instructions on how to fix the problem and would not schedule an appointment until they did. I then called the dealerships service department. They said they were getting the parts to fix it in on February 15th and that the earliest they would schedule me was the 16th. I have an appointment for when they open at 8:00AM on the 16th.
Houston

Re: So the recall for the evil pedal? (Mattsky)

Post by Houston »

Good luck on being the first one at the dealership to have the fix performed on your car. It looks to be easy for them to do, so there shouldn't be a problem.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
ColonelPanic

Re: So the recall for the evil pedal?

Post by ColonelPanic »

Look at the beautiful precision-machined parts that have been shipped out to put on your cars.. Marvel at the consistency, every part is alike and perfect on all sides... In no way were these made haphazardly and in haste.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...just received the Safety Recall Notice letter today from GM, with notification of two (2) recalls:1) Recall 10018: Accelerator Pedal Sticking (they have a solution).2) Recall 10038: Floor Mat Interference and Accelerator Pedal (they don't have a solution yet)....can't contact the "...authorized GM dealer..." until after February 22, 2010.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
tnpartsguy

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by tnpartsguy »

Quote, originally posted by Old Tele man »...just received the Safety Recall Notice letter today from GM, with notification of two (2) recalls:1) Recall 10018: Accelerator Pedal Sticking (they have a solution).2) Recall 10038: Floor Mat Interference and Accelerator Pedal (they don't have a solution yet)....can't contact the "...authorized GM dealer..." until after February 22, 2010.Because GM isn't getting the parts from Toyota until after the 15th.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I am curious, will GM be replacing the floor mats?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
CoryW

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by CoryW »

If you want to read the Recall I posted it at http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40226 on the 11th.
ou.grizzly

Re: (CoryW)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by CoryW »If you want to read the Recall I posted it at http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40226 on the 11th.Still does not state that if GM will be replacing the carpeted or all weather floor mat for the Drivers Side.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
vibenvy

Re: (CoryW)

Post by vibenvy »

My mom and I received our recall notifications yesterday. I will be calling on the 22nd to make an appointment to get both our GTs in ASAP. Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I am curious, will GM be replacing the floor mats?Not now anyway...Quote, originally posted by GM Recall Notification »What will we do?Recall 10038: Floor Mat Interference and Accelerator Pedal:GM will notify you again as soon as a recall remedy is available for your vehicle.What should you do?Recall 10038: Floor Mat Interference and Accelerator Pedal:GM requests that you take out any removable (carpeted, all-weather, or other) driver's floor mat and NOT replace it with any other floor mat, and place it in the trunk until the Floor Mat Interference and Accelerator Pedal recall remedy (which you will be notified of in the future) is ready and implemented on your vehicle.In the even that you choose not to take out your removable floor mat, General Motors strongly recommends that you use only floor mats designed specifically for the model and model year of your vehicle, and that it is properly installed and secured. DO NOT use a mat that is flipped over with the bottom-side up, and DO NOT stack one floor mat over another. In addition, check the operation of the accelerator, brake, and clutch (if applicable) pedals to assure that the floor mat does not interfere with them.I am not worried about the floor mats as I have the GM all weather ones and they don't move one bit thanks to the hooks and the fact that they're heavy and have little knubs on the back which hold them in place.I wonder if they will give everyone who removes their driver's floor mat new carpet since the carpet will get ruined quickly without a floor mat to protect it .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Yeah, I received only one of my recall notices; still waiting for my other.
Eloi

Post by Eloi »

Anyone in the province of Quebec, Canada received the recall letter so far? Nothing on my side yet...
2009 Vibe (2.4L) - Manual - Red Hot Metallic
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

Nothing here yet but I'm in no rush. I think the media has done with Toyota as they have done with GM,Ford and Chrysler over the last couple decades. That is, they have blown these issues way out of proportion. And until someone can explain exactly how a metal shim is going to prevent this pedal problem, nobaby is touching our Vibe.
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
Caretaker

SHIM-SHAM

Post by Caretaker »

You've got that right Silversn95. No GM "technician" is touching my car unless they can prove that those older model Toyotas actually do show unusual wear at the pivot point or that ANY of the cars that crashed due to sudden acceleration show unusual wear at the pivot point. Where's the evidence???? There is none. The shim is a sham.
06pvibe

Re: SHIM-SHAM (Caretaker)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Caretaker »You've got that right Silversn95. No GM "technician" is touching my car unless they can prove that those older model Toyota's actually do show unusual wear at the pivot point or that ANY of the cars that crashed due to sudden acceleration show unusual wear at the pivot point. Where's the evidence???? There is none. The shim is a sham.On the other hand, be aware that if they offer a fix for the problem and you do not take advantage of it and then something does happen that you will be SOL as far as coverage is concerned.They will legally shirk responsibility because they notified you to have the problem "fixed" and you ignored it.If the fix doesn't work, well you've got nothing to lose. It will be on them, not you.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
ColonelPanic

Re: SHIM-SHAM (06pvibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »On the other hand, be aware that if they offer a fix for the problem and you do not take advantage of it and then something does happen that you will be SOL as far as coverage is concerned.They will legally shirk responsibility because they notified you to have the problem "fixed" and you ignored it.That pretty much sums up a story from the local news the other night... If you don't get it fixed and you end up injuring someone, you're more responsible from a legal perspective than the manufacturer with the recalled product.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Jharrison

Vibe Recall

Post by Jharrison »

I have my 2009 AWD Vibe in the shop for repairs after an accident. I had the guy run my VIN number and it is under the recall. He said after they body work is done they would let the service department fix the recall problem. If you have a dependable Pontiac dealer local I would just stop by and let them run your VIN number.
csxt8058

Re: Vibe Recall (Jharrison)

Post by csxt8058 »

Just got my recall notice today in Plattsburg, NY. Two items, as already pointed out, pedal and floormat issue.Now, I have non factory heavy rubber mats in my Vibe, due to the snow and slop my boots bring inside the car, not to mention all the other nasties from my workplace. They don't move, so I'm not worried. No way I'm putting the carpet ones back in, they'd be ruined in a few weeks. JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
ponta2147

Re: Vibe Recall (csxt8058)

Post by ponta2147 »

Got mine too. My floormats are also non-GM ones, but today I cut the driver's side ones down so they fit flush with the floor, and poked holes in them so the hooks could go through them. That sucka isn't going anywhere even if I wanted it to!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ParknVibe

Re: Vibe Recall (csxt8058)

Post by ParknVibe »

I received my recall notice today for the pedal and the floormat. As for the floormat, they will notified me again when they have a fix for it. As you know they want us to remove the loose floormat regardless. However. in may case, I installed WeatherTech Custom Fitted mats. They are a tray shape tightly fitted mat that will not move. As for the little Stainless Steel Bar they are adding to the Pedal:Question: Are they placing it under the spring or under the spring housing? Here is my understanding....:This bar is to prevent the pedal arm from going down to far so that, at the other end, it does not get stuck against the senser contact points. At the senser end, a magnet is used as a magnetic field that regulates the voltage at the senser pickup. (acting like a adjustable resistor) The magnet and the senser do not make phyical contact with each other. I think the magnet moves along side of the senser pickup. The senser is fixed with the connection wires attached. After a long time of pumping the pedal, Wear, I guess, makes the magnet get to close to the senser surface and could get stuck to it.The pedal spring has a backup spring within the core of the outter spring. As you should know, the spring pushes the pedal arm back up. I am concern about two things, First, The spring within the larger spring could get jammed (meshed) into each other, thus keeping the pedal arm depressed. My second concern is the pivit axles and bushings wearing or collecting dirt in the bushings and piviting pins. This will either bind up or wear and become a loose fitting axle pin.... thus making the arm rock around internally. Finally you should know that whole pedal housing and the arm is molded plastic. I also read that the plastic that was previously used was absorbing moisture into the plastic causing it to swell up. Any comments and corrections to my understanding is welcomed!!!
boudini

Post by boudini »

Got my letter today - now I have to queue up at a dealer to get the pedal fix...however, I love my car, so its all good.
2009 Pontiac Vibe Ultra White, 2.4L w/5 speed auto., Preferred Pkg., A/C
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

I have a very good illustration that explains why the pedal sticks...however, i can't access it from home. I'm going to try to remember to send it to my home email. (Can't access genVibe from work.)....Internally, the gas pedal and the stop are designed to crush in in the event of an accident; the pedal has 3 'teeth' on it, and the stop has 2 'teeth'. The shim is designed to keep the teeth from engaging during normal operation, while still allowing the pedal to collapse in the event of a crash. I wouldn't have believed the way this pedal is designed until I saw this illustration, and why it's designed that way. At 1st I thought it was moronic, but once the purpose of the collapsing pedal was explained to me, it makes sense now.
Mattsky

Post by Mattsky »

I brought my car in today for the recall. I didn't have the recall notice. It may be in my PO Box today but I didn't go to the post office to check. I didn't need it to get the work done. The Dealer said all they needed was the cars registration with the vin#. They told me I was the second one they have fixed. They did the first one yesterday. He said the first one took them an hour but that they figured mine would be done faster. It took about 30 minutes.
Zimm

Re: So the recall for the evil pedal? (boudini)

Post by Zimm »

got mine in the mail today too. i have a laundry list of other warranty fixes i need done, so i'm going to have to find a day or 2 when i won't need my vibe before i drop it off.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Russiaville

Post by Russiaville »

Got my notice today too. I haven't checked my floormat yet but they said to remove it until further notice.
tnpartsguy

Re: (Russiaville)

Post by tnpartsguy »

ou.grizzly

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy » http://www.facebook.com/photo....51838 Directs one to a long in page....
star_deceiver

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by star_deceiver »

Really? I got this pic...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
SCTM

Re: So the recall for the evil pedal? (Mattsky)

Post by SCTM »

And if... it never been any carpet problem at all !!!According with a Tennessee resident, read the comment in the following texthttp://www.politicolnews.com/m...issue/Easier to blame a quick simple fix rather than investigate further more.And if...Shame on you Toyota
SCTM QUÉBEC Base 5spd Satellite, 20-35%back-tint, 3M film, HiddenHitch, Motegi Racing MR8, Orbit Remote Starter/5Doors, Winter GoodYear UltraGrip ice... and Lawnmower 310CCA battery !
wt2ga

Post by wt2ga »

My dealer still has not got the parts ... Has anyone had the work done... ?
ponta2147

Re: (wt2ga)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by wt2ga »My dealer still has not got the parts ... Has anyone had the work done... ?Getting it done right now actually... I'll post an update with everyone when I get it back (I also decided to have the dealer install the factory fogs for me while it's in, I'll post on that later too).
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
jackie879

Post by jackie879 »

I had mine done a couple days ago. From the time I got to the dealership to the time I left was almost an hour exactly. Not too bad. I don't notice any difference in the way the car drives and I've never had any problems with sudden acceleration, before or after the fix.When my car was done, the service guy told me not to freak out if my driver's side floor mat was taken out and put in the hatch. I asked why, and he said because there's a floor mat recall and they currently don't have a fix for it. Sure enough, when I went to drive away I noticed the floor mat was gone and placed in the hatch.I have the GM all weather mats and have not had any issues with the gas pedal getting stuck under the mat.So when you take your cars in guys and gals, be prepared for your (factory) floor mat to be taken out too. Not sure what they do with aftermarket mats.
wireeater

Post by wireeater »

We just purchased a used 09 this weekend. How would I know if our car is part of the recall? The carfax supplied by the dealer didn't have any recalls listed on it. I did notice it didn't have floor mats. I wonder if this was due to the problem or if the previous owner didn't put them back in. I purchased some new, cheap ones for the time being. I would assume the dealership would take responsibility for this while the car was at their lot waiting to be sold.
ou.grizzly

Re: (wireeater)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by wireeater »We just purchased a used 09 this weekend. How would I know if our car is part of the recall? The carfax supplied by the dealer didn't have any recalls listed on it. I did notice it didn't have floor mats. I wonder if this was due to the problem or if the previous owner didn't put them back in. I purchased some new, cheap ones for the time being. I would assume the dealership would take responsibility for this while the car was at their lot waiting to be sold.Since you have a GT, the 2 types of floor mats that would not interfere with the gas pedal are the WeatherTech Liners and Husky Liners; set of 4 are around $100-$150 dollars, but well worth it - a member from MI named "Houston" is the one who supplied this information. As for the rest of the recall, take it to the dealer and they will perform the work as needed. Or you are going to have to wait for the registration process, paperwork filed with your State, and then a letter from GM. It is quicker is you take it in and see if the recall was performed; if not the dealer will do it.