NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
HORSESCO

NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them.

Post by HORSESCO »

Well as the title says, I am new to vibes and hope I made the right decision. I bought it as a commuter car. hope to get good to great mpg.... (I drive 65 miles ONE WAY) 3-4x per week (have a subie for the bad weather). Anyway, just wanting to get opinions on reliability- what I have read elsewhere has been almost entirely positive. It is being shipped from Dallas to here in Colorado this weekend, I will be the 2nd owner, it was a fleet vehicle for a time according to the car fax. It's a 2004 115k miles, paid 4650.00 (w admin fee but not incl tax and shipping). It appears to be in great shape, power everything, sunroof etc but still the base model. Plan on having all fluids flushed and possibly new serpentine belt/thermostat/plugs/wires. I like to do this with all used cars i buy. Any other suggestions? Don't want to spend a ton, cuz i just did that on my subie I got last month... What are opinions on reliability and longevity? Hope to have for a long time and get over 200k on it.
star_deceiver

Re: NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them. (HORSESCO)

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

welcome to the family!i've got about 150k on my o4 vibe and it's still running well. one thing to think about... if it was a fleet vehicle, regualr maintenance will have been done.post pics when you get the car!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Welcome to GenVibe! No need to change wires as there are none. We have coil-on-plug ignition. Also, I would clean the TB and MAF sensor.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Welcome, you'll enjoy the economy of the car for sure!One tip Do NOT flush your fluids. If by flush you mean the machine they hook up to your engine or trans and pump cleaners through. I repeat do NOT use these devices. They can and do cause more harm than good in the long run.By all means CHANGE you oils and filters. Don't overlook replacing the brake fluid either.The best tip is to change your oils frequently. We could argue about filters and oils and synthetics but we all agree, change your oil frequently and you'll not regret having done so.No car every had major troubles because the owner just changed that oil way too much!!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
vibolista

Re: (HORSESCO)

Post by vibolista »

You've bought a tough and long lasting car. Corolla is the basis, so if the maintenance was done, your Vibe should be fine. The only plug I've really seen make a difference in a higher mileage engine is the NGK Iridium. There are so many choices. That's a near epic commute you do out there in the Wild West! Did you see and drive this car, before you bought it, or is it a blind date sort of thing? The price seems good if it's in good shape! Let us know how this car turns out for you.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
HORSESCO

Re: NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them. (BlueCrush)

Post by HORSESCO »

What is the TB? I know what the MAF is.
HORSESCO

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by HORSESCO »

How would change the fluids then? I don't have the time or tools to do it myself. Please let me know.
HORSESCO

Post by HORSESCO »

No did not get to see it up close and drive it... ebay kinda thing... but tons of pics, it does have a golfball size dent on the front fender by the hood and by the rear hatch on the right upper part, I will include the link to the pics.. you guys tell me what you think.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...:1123Let me know if you can download them or not since the auction is over.
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by HORSESCO »What is the TB? I know what the MAF is.Car looks good, congrats! They are extremely reliable, just keep up with proper maintenance. The TB is the throttle body, if you run a search you're bound to come up with info on cleaning it. Pretty easy, from what I understand. Cleaning the MAF is a breeze. All you need is the cleaner and a phillips head screwdriver. Welcome to the forum
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Blueridge9

Re: NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them. (bodhi_tree777)

Post by Blueridge9 »

Welcome, I also have a 2004 Base Model and it has been very reliable.I would reprogram the remote after purchasing a car. I would have the battery tested since it's winter and be sure you have the right tires for Colorado snow since it came from Dallas. You might look at the owner's manual or on Genvibe to see how to change the cabin filter behind the glovebox. From a cosmetic standpoint you might like seat covers and a cargo liner to prevent things from sliding around, arrowhead decals. You can see my photos.Enjoy the Vibe,
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Welcome!I love the Springs! I have family all over that area.All your Vibe answers can and will be answered in the millions of posts in these forums.
HORSESCO

Re: NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them. (Blueridge9)

Post by HORSESCO »

Wow sweet vibe with all your add ons! Actually yes it needs tires but I will just be getting all seasons since i have a subie I drive when the bad stuff flies! I will be getting all of the fluids flushed and a general check tomorrow. Had the battery and alternator checked at Advance auto and all is good in that area, and air filter and wipers were practically new.It had been repossesed from the previous owner (female) and sold at auction to the dealer I bought it from.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

glad everything seems to check out ok! its a fun car!anyways one thing they said earlier about the fluids... its usually a better idea to have the trans drained and filled as opposed to flushed and filled.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Have you stuck any pictures of you vibe on genvibe yet? The eBay link to you car was gone. Pictures, all new members need to post pictures!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
HORSESCO

Re: NEW TO MY 2004 VIBE- don't know a whole lot about them. (vibolista)

Post by HORSESCO »

I just clicked on the link--from my email.. you can cut and paste or just click on it... they are there, have no pics yet just got it yesterday and had to do some stuff to the subie today, taking the vibe in tomorrow... ANYWAY TRY THE LINK AND LET ME KNOW.. IT WORKED FOR ME JUST NOW.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

ACKK! I can't find the link, so I'll have to muster up some patience.
HORSESCO

Post by HORSESCO »

try the link in my post click on it..it should work.. just got back from the shop, it is still there... needs struts and flushing of a bunch of things. Not brakes tho.. getting tires too... cha ching... would not be bad if i had not just had to go thru this with my used subie i bought tooo!
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Pictures, got them... thanks. Link worked this time. Looks like a great car for the miles and they did take a lot of pictures of the Vibe, very nice of them, really. I'm sure you've had it checked already... how's the transmission doing? A good set of tires will make a huge improvement on noise levels, ride and performance, especially this time of year when you often need extra grip.
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Vibolista, Your Vibedolf Reindeer makeover is so clever.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HORSESCO

Post by HORSESCO »

Had all the fluids changed yesterday and new shocks--OEM were still on there, along with strut mounts and dust covers, also had serpentine done.. brakes were fine tho as was the spark plugs and air filters. 1200.00 later tho.. ughh. New tires too. (275.00 installed)No didn't go with pricey or snow tires as I have a subie for snow days.. it does have more hail damage then showed up in the pics and Cd player is not working --will most likely go after market.. runs great tho! Like driving a go cart! Love that! It reminds me of my mazda 3 I sold, now just waiting to see what the gas mileage is like, here in colorado we usually lose a few mpg's becuz of the altitude.