To buy or not to buy

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Marsupy

To buy or not to buy

Post by Marsupy »

Hello there. I am a car shopper interested in a Vibe and wondered if I could get some advice on a possible purchase. After much research and several test drives I have fallen in love with the Vibe. However, the Vibe I test drove is a base auto 05' with 105000 miles on it. The dealer was asking 7.6k for it and has recently offered me 6.8k with a 30 day warranty. It was a 1-owner car and rides great. I suppose all cars are different and each used car is a gamble, but I'm nervous about the high mileage. I do keep up with maintenance and I'm assuming the previous owner did as well. Is 6.8k reasonable for this car? Should I continue shopping? I'm trying to buy a car
Zig

Re: To buy or not to buy (Marsupy)

Post by Zig »

Lots of used Vibes out there. Search the internet, Ebay, Cars.com, others im sure. Dont get bogged down on just this one.
I need a picture of my new Vibe! Better to ZIG then ZAG!!! http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/ Our Website/Bloghttp://campinggills.com/
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i say look around for more vibes..thats alot of miles for $6800
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

I could be wrong, but that price seems kind of high. They're are great cars though, so keep looking. Mine has 130,000 miles on it and no major problems yet. Good luck.
Marsupy

<

Post by Marsupy »

Thanks for the quick advice guys. I shall continue looking for other Vibes. I just get excited/anxious about owning things I like (also doesn't help when the dealer calls you everyday ) Sometimes I need extra help in remembering it's better to take my time. I sure look forward to owning one though!
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

For that year Vibe and the amount of miles, stay away.... You can find a better deal.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
L5K

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by L5K »

Agreed on staying away.I just bought an 03 GT with ~74k on it for 6k
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

May I suggest looking at auto trader.. I was searching for vibes withing a 200 mile radius of Amsterdam NY. I wasn't finding a ton of cars but maybe that could help. Who cares if you have to drive all day to buy a car.. its a big purchase..
djkeev

Re: < (Marsupy)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Marsupy »Thanks for the quick advice guys. I shall continue looking for other Vibes. I just get excited/anxious about owning things I like (also doesn't help when the dealer calls you everyday ) Sometimes I need extra help in remembering it's better to take my time. I sure look forward to owning one though!I HATE pushy sales people!! Offer him 5, if he says no, tell him to NOT call you any longer.It is wise when purchasing to NOT want the item too bad. A strong "want" will cloud your rational decision making skills.Good LuckDave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
joejoev

Post by joejoev »

Kelly Blue Book suggested retail value of a 2005 base model vibe w/ auto trans and 105,000 miles in excellent condition is $9,120.00. Private party value is $7,170.So the dealer's price really isn't a bad deal. If anything, I would push for a longer warranty...at least 6 months.As far as high mileage, these cars will run forever if you keep up on the maintenance. My '04 base M&T bought new in September '04 now has just over 382,000 actual miles. In the 5 years I've owned it I have had one, that's ONE, maintenance/repair issue that I did not anticipate. That was replacing the HVAC blower motor a couple years ago. And then my not-so-common, but anticipated repairs were replacing the instrument panel when I reached the magical 299,999 milestone and then the front wheel bearings this past summer. Everything else has been brakes, tires, fluid changes, filters, etc. Heck I'm still running the original theromstat.
03VibeOttawa

Re: To buy or not to buy (joejoev)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

My '04 base M&T bought new in September '04 now has just over 382,000 actual miles. Congrats! That's inspiring :-)
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
Marsupy

Post by Marsupy »

I know this is a pretty dead topic, but I just wanted to thank everyone again, for their advice. I'm amazed that your vibe has 382k with hardly any issues. Nice!Anyway, as an update, I continued Vibe shopping. Avoided the pushy salesman (although, I admit I test drove it again). I am now about to buy a base 05' with 54k for 9.9k. (after taxes and everything)A bit more than I wanted to spend, but I figure it's worth it in the long run. These seem like wonderful, long-lasting cars. It was difficult to look at other vehicles because I just kept thinking 'eh, it's not a vibe.' Just hope the recall issues were fixed by this time. Don't want the window exploding on me! Thanks again!(as a side note...I love your icon, vibedrivermatt)
LavaIlliniVibe

Re: To buy or not to buy (Zig)

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

Zig, your teardrop trailer hooked up to your Vibe is awesome! I just checked out the web site and that is just tooooooooo cooooool! Vibe towing POWER!!!!!!