NEW MEMBER and moving to the UK.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
DrunkenMonster

NEW MEMBER and moving to the UK.

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Name's Ryan and have been lurking here for awhile now decided to join with hopefully some answers. I have an 05 Vibe with the Moon N Tunes (I think from what I have gathered here) Have 18" Equus 05 with General High Performance tires. And yesterday had a Avital Remote start / car alarm. In three months I will be moving 80 miles north of London on military orders. So I have to have this car ready to go and in Euro spec so it can be shipped off. I was wanting to know if anyone is currently over there with one and what I can and can't do to the car. I also need feedback on euro sidemarkers ( I guess its a law to have them) Thanks guys and gals hope to hear from you all soon.
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
Blanco_Diablo

Re: NEW MEMBER and moving to the UK. (DrunkenDixie)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

I don't have any info for you but welcome to the forums! I know there are some vibe owners from Singapore and Russia that are on the forums from time to time, not sure about the U.K. though. I'm sure someone will answer your questions soon. BTW, Whiteman AFB isn't that the home of the stealth bomber? I'm guessing you have quite an interesting career.
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Yes it is home of the stealth bomber, I have to listen to them all night, lol.
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
lovemyraffe

Re: (DrunkenDixie)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I too, don't have any info for you but I do appreciate your service and welcome to genvibe!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

Some good info at http://www.import-car.info/ some of it won't apply to you since you're military (all the shipping and cost stuff). Too bad you couldn't have gotten your hands on a Voltz, it has most of the needed mods already.Good luck!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

WHY...?Why in gods name would you want to take your American car over there?? It's plain silly... The cars there are SOOOO much more than the Vibe could ever hope to be... And I LOVE my Vibe.... It's the truth though... Sell the Vibe and get something that can get out of it's own way on the autobahn... seriously... Thank you for your service to BTW, I was not able to serve because of my asthma..
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Yeah the asthma thing and military is a stupid thing I think. They should let anyone, I had a buddy get kicked out cuz they found out he had it. The reason I am keeping it is because it is actually the wife's car and we will be coming back in four years so we would like to keep it plus the wife is allowing me to get another vehicle while I am over there.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Store it somewhere, man... the expense you will go through to take it there and take it back is going to be outrageous.. I assume, I don't honestly know..
bull77

Post by bull77 »

doesn't the army pay moving expenses when you get a new posting?
ou.grizzly

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Store it somewhere, man... the expense you will go through to take it there and take it back is going to be outrageous.. I assume, I don't honestly know.. Family member recently sent a Jeep over to the Balkan region - they never shipped it even though they said they did. Think it cost somewhere around $2500-$3500Yet Bull77 makes a good point - the government may pick up the tab for this one...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=19314read through this thread. it might give you a little insight...welcome to the familyand as everyone has already said, thanx for your service.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Yes it is totally free for me to have it sent over there I just need to make it legal before the England people want to charge an American an arm and a leg.
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Pictures...
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

nice screen name
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

LOL, YOU TOO SIR!
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Good advice from Sublime... don't take your car to England. I was in the A.F. in Germany, and spent a great month in England on assignment. While there I had to drive a left hand drive Dodge pick-up from our work base in Sculthorp to Mildenhall a few times for supplies. Scary. So this I can tell you. You won't like driving a left hand drive car in a right hand drive world. Very difficult and quite dangerous in many situations. I had the good fortune to become friends with a Brit that had a well used and well maintained original Mini. It was orange with a white top, manual and a hoot to drive. Normal English roads, not their Motorways like the M1 (kinda like our Interstates), are narrow and twisty and picturesque, with the enphasis on narrow. Did I mention that most of their secondary roads are really narrow???Perfect roads for a small car. I only got on their Motorway once. no big thing. But the side roads are exceptional. Buy a manual used Mini or a new one if you want (whatever you buy, small is better), but either way you'll love their country side, coastal routes and of course Scotland. Don't miss Ireland! Another point about small cars in Europe... fuel is very expensive on their side of the Big Pond. If you can score a diesel, you'll be golden. I was able to stay over there just shy of 5 years (would have stayed there even longer if they had allowed it), stationed in southern Germany. We travelled as much as time permitted, which ended up to be a lot. Anoher plus... most of Europe is also very bicycle friendly. When you decide to get off the Island and travel into the rest of Europe, rent a left hand drive car... or even better, go by train. You can go anywhere in Europe by train.Enjoy!... and start figuring out how to extend your stay as soon as you get there. My tour was originally only going to last 18 months!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vintagegz

Post by vintagegz »

We provide technical paperwork on GM vehicles going any where in the world, if military you usually do not need modifications. If a regular person moving to Europe you normally qualify for a single vehicle importation without major changes, a good contact for England is chris@bauer-millett.comthey may be able to answer some of your questions. Technical documents for overseas normally cost $160.50 with a seal for the authorities, but again not required normally for military just private importations.