ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
beemerphile1

ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe

Post by beemerphile1 »

I have spent the last four days looking for the Vibe that I want. Somebody told me we are in a recession, you wouldn't know it the way 1.8L Vibes are selling.I have two dealers trying to find me one. I have spent hours at pontiac.com, cars.com and craigslist. All the dealers are selling out of the new 2009 Vibe 1.8L. I have searched up to 500 miles from home.I am wanting the 1.8L base with preferred group, AC, and automatic transmission. It seems to be very popular due to the good gas mileage, GM rebates, and the cash for clunkers voucher program.I just missed a white one today by hours. I don't think anyone can be of help, I just need to vent. If I buy the 2.4L I lose $1,000 in the government voucher program.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

few days ago while i was at the dealer getting some things fixed under warranty there were about 2 vibe 1.8 and 2 vibe 2.4, one is GT model there. they had silver and red for the 1.8L. you want to buy one from los angeles? lol
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
jake75

Re: ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe (beemerphile1)

Post by jake75 »

Did you call any of those dealers in Central Ohio I told you about? Their websites might be out of date but they are showing inventory of what you want. Also - found at websites for Reichard Pontiac/Dayton, and Fairborn Pontiac. But these '09's are soon going to be gone if not already.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Few of the dealers here in MI have limited stock on the 2009's as there are plenty of 2010. Might want to try MI...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

better find one quick, there won't be many more made.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
silvrhawk7

Post by silvrhawk7 »

Check St. Clair Shores Auto...Heres the link as of 9:37 this AMhttp://www.stclairautomotive.c...14633This is where i bought my '06 from...
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
beemerphile1

Re: ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe (silvrhawk7)

Post by beemerphile1 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Did you call any of those dealers in Central Ohio I told you about? I tried the Columbus area dealers like you mentioned. No joy. The only dealers that have them are not willing to write a contract contingent on the "Cash for clunkers" voucher program. Some told me to come back on the 24th! The cars will most likely be gone by then.Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »Check St. Clair Shores Auto...http://www.stclairautomotive.c...14633That link goes to a 2010 Vibe. The factory incentives are only good on the 09 models, but thanks.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

It looks like I might have one. I still have feelers out but I did get one callback this morning.This dealer has a Vibe with the exact equipment that I want but it has been used as a loaner for the body shop for 4 months. It still will be sold as a new car and the balance of the warranty still applies. Due to the fact that it has a few thousand miles on it, I get an additional $500 rebate and the price is lowered an additional $700. I will be able to get it for $1,200 less than the already great deal of supplier pricing, $2,500 rebate, and $4,500 cash for clunkers voucher.Yippee! Hopefully next week I will officially be a Viber. Think good thoughts for me!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »I tried the Columbus area dealers like you mentioned. No joy. The only dealers that have them are not willing to write a contract contingent on the "Cash for clunkers" voucher program. Some told me to come back on the 24th! The cars will most likely be gone by then.So I led you to the Promised Land but you were afraid to enter.I can understand that the dealers don't want that contingency - they want the sale today. But as a tax expert I don't see any concern that this "new" Vibe will not be covered. I would have less faith in whether a dealer courtesy/loaner car would qualify. That is one step below a demo even. I don't think GM gives you a 36 mo/60 mo warranty from when you buy it - I believe it is that time from when the dealer placed it in service. BTW the $4,500 is essentially a minimum trade-in value for your old clunker. If that Clunker is worth $2,500 then you really are only up $2,000. I wonder how Ohio will tax that - they will probably treat it as a rebate so you pay sales tax on the pre-govt, pre-GM rebate amount.. Thank you - Ohio needs the money.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
beemerphile1

Re: ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe (jake75)

Post by beemerphile1 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »I can understand that the dealers don't want that contingency - they want the sale today. But as a tax expert I don't see any concern that this "new" Vibe will not be covered...I don't think GM gives you a 36 mo/60 mo warranty from when you buy it - I believe it is that time from when the dealer placed it in service. Correct, I already verified the warranty starts 3/2/09 when the car went into service. The contingency is not for me, many dealers seem to be afraid of Uncle Sam moving the cheese. I am confident that it will shake out like it is supposed to. The qualifications are written into the law. NHTSA only has control of the implementation.Quote, originally posted by jake75 »BTW the $4,500 is essentially a minimum trade-in value for your old clunker. If that Clunker is worth $2,500 then you really are only up $2,000. I wonder how Ohio will tax that - they will probably treat it as a rebate so you pay sales tax on the pre-govt, pre-GM rebate amount.. Thank you - Ohio needs the money.My old Grand Marquis has a trade value of $575. I really don't care how Ohio taxes it, it is free money. I will happily pay taxes on free money anyone wants to give me. As far as warranty concerns, I don't care about losing 4 months of warranty. Most of the cars I have purchased had 0 warranty. This car has 32 months and 32,000 miles for a reduction in price of $1,200. Sounds more than fair to me.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 » My old Grand Marquis has a trade value of $575. My Sunfire had a trade in value of $1500 and the only gov't deal is a $300 bus pass or bicycle discount. I'll just keep my "clunker", as there's nothing wrong with it. But taxed or not, free money is still free money!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
beemerphile1

Re: ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe (star_deceiver)

Post by beemerphile1 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »My Sunfire had a trade in value of $1500 and the only gov't deal is a $300 bus pass or bicycle discount. I'll just keep my "clunker", as there's nothing wrong with it. Yes, it's a USA thing. Don't worry, my grandchildren will pay for it down the road with higher taxes. I'm against all the government bailouts and giveaways but they didn't ask my opinion. Someone will get the money, it might as well be me.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

You said the contingency is not for you, but earlier stated " The only dealers that have them are not willing to write a contract contingent on the "Cash for clunkers" voucher program." I suspect that you are not using the term "contingent" in the usual sense - e.g. my agreement to purchase is contingent on the transaction qualifying for the $4,500 cask for clunkers credit."The problem probably is that the dealers just do not know how to handle this yet because the procedural stuff is not in place. It would seem logical that you could pay the full price now and get the money back later but who knows how that would work. A cash buyer could just put all the money down as a deposit and close the sale on or after 7-24-09 when the regs are supposed to be ready. But don't bet on a govt. agency meeting that deadline either.In trying to figure out if a loaner or demo is "new", HR 2751 which passed the House says: (7) the term `eligible trade-in vehicle' means an automobile or a work truck (as such terms are defined in section 32901(a) of title 49, United States Code) that, at the time it is presented for trade-in under this Act-- (A) is in drivable condition; (B) has been continuously insured consistent with the applicable State law and registered to the same owner for a period of not less than 1 year immediately prior to such trade-in; (C) was manufactured in model year 1984 or later; and (D) in the case of an automobile, has a combined fuel economy value of 18 miles per gallon or less; (8) the term `new fuel efficient automobile' means an automobile described in paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (4)-- (A) the equitable or legal title of which has not been transferred to any person other than the ultimate purchaser; (B) that carries a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $45,000 or less;. The continuously insured may be a stumbling block for some buyers. A lot of people around here have no insurance - but then they probably have no money for a new car either, but with an extra $4,500 toward equity maybe loans are possible.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

I'd hate to have to be the one to do all the paperwork on this! In principal, this is a good thing, too bad that those people who have their running but uninsured clunker are out of luck. Too many restrictions, but it's better then what we've got up here!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
beemerphile1

Re: ARGHHH! I can't find my new Vibe (jake75)

Post by beemerphile1 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »You said the contingency is not for you, but earlier stated " The only dealers that have them are not willing to write a contract contingent on the "Cash for clunkers" voucher program." I suspect that you are not using the term "contingent" in the usual sense - e.g. my agreement to purchase is contingent on the transaction qualifying for the $4,500 cask for clunkers credit."The problem probably is that the dealers just do not know how to handle this yet because the procedural stuff is not in place. You are correct again, some dealers are just afraid because they have not done the research. All the information is available just like you looked it up yourself. It amazes me the ignorance of some of the dealers, they are mostly clueless about the program. Those dealers are definitely in the minority though, most dealers are writing contracts at a fast rate. The problem is that the dealers willing to write contracts don't have the car I want. Maybe the unwillingness to write contracts using the C.A.R.S. voucher program indicates why they have cars and other dealers are sold out.I may indeed be mis-speaking using the word contingency. To me the only contingency is the dealer doing the necessary registration and file the necessary paperwork on the sale. I am a cash buyer other than the voucher and my only contingency is that the sale be finalized after the voucher program is functional. This whole thing is changing quickly day by day. Supposedly the letters went out to dealers from the NHTSA on Thursday or Friday and they should be received on Monday. Those letters will explain the registration process for the dealers and give them other pertinent information. There will then be a mad rush from tens of thousands of dealers trying to register. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do as a buyer. The ball is entirely in the dealer's court to register and handle the paperwork.Other than the rapid disappearance of these fantastic cars, I also have another pressing issue that limits me. My wife will be going into surgery on Wednesday the 22nd and I will be caring for her during recovery. I will be able to make time to finalize a deal but will not have time to shop or hunt for a car. That makes it even more important for me to make a deal now.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The Hyundai Elantra Touring is pretty impressive too!"While the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn't plan to release its final rules and regulations for the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), otherwise known as Cash-for-Clunkers program, until July 23rd, Hyundai has decided that its customers don't have to wait. Alexandria Hyundai in Alexandria, VA has already accepted the first trade-in and doled out its first rebate. The clunker is a 15-mpg 1995 Ford Explorer, and Katherine Michon of Arlington, VA traded it in for a $4,500 credit on a brand new 26-mpg Hyundai Elantra Touring.How can Hyundai get away with accepting clunkers early? The automaker is giving dealers short-term cash advances to cover the cost of its rebates until the CARS program officially kicks off later this month. Hyundai has 13 models with particular engine combinations that qualify for CARS, and the NHTSA has already confirmed that transactions on or after July 1, 2009 are eligible.This could be a brilliant move on Hyundai's part, since its own internal research shows that 11 percent of car shoppers have delayed their purchase to take advantage of the rebates. If Hyundai is the only game in town that's accepting trade-ins and giving rebates early, it could steal a few sales away from other brands that are waiting patiently for the program to officially begin.On the other hand, the NHTSA warns on the CARS official website that "interested dealers and consumers may want to wait until all of the detailed issues that must be addressed in the implementing regulations are resolved and the final rule is issued." By that time, however, you'll be driving around in a new car and getting reimbursed for the rebate will by Hyundai's problem."
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

cant find one?! what the...theres TONS here in MN. Hell I can even find SS camaro's. What I CANT find is used awd models...man they are insane hard to find.
jake75

Re: (northvibe)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »cant find one?! what the...theres TONS here in MN. Hell I can even find SS camaro's. What I CANT find is used awd models...man they are insane hard to find.Yeh - I think there will still be some 1.8L's with ac, at & ppkg in Ohio next week and the week after that.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Well, i saw my new Vibe today and made a deal on it. I bought the loaner car that I found. It has 2,600 miles and the interior is spotless. The paint has a couple of scratches in the bumper that the body shop will repaint.2009 base Navy Blue1.8LPreferred groupACAutomatic transmission$11,650 out the door after tax, title, and allI got the supplier pricing, minus $656 because it was a loaner, minus $3,000 in rebates, minus $4,500 cash for clunkers.Somehow I also got an extra $500 rebate because it was a loaner, I didn't ask!I'll pick it up either Saturday 7/25 or Monday 7/27.
silvrhawk7

Post by silvrhawk7 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »Well, i saw my new Vibe today and made a deal on it. I bought the loaner car that I found. It has 2,600 miles and the interior is spotless. The paint has a couple of scratches in the bumper that the body shop will repaint.2009 base Navy Blue1.8LPreferred groupACAutomatic transmission$11,650 out the door after tax, title, and allI got the supplier pricing, minus $656 because it was a loaner, minus $3,000 in rebates, minus $4,500 cash for clunkers.Somehow I also got an extra $500 rebate because it was a loaner, I didn't ask!I'll pick it up either Saturday 7/25 or Monday 7/27.That my friend i feel is a steal, considering what i paid for my 2006 at the time...BTW congrats
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

heck yeah thats a deal, I mean the cash for clunker helped and that rebate. but man 11 something for a new vibe, rock on. now just get some pics!